Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloe berries

Options
  • 03-11-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anyone know of any sloes / Blackthorne bushies in meath. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

HwH wrote: »
    Anyone know of any sloes / Blackthorne bushies in meath. Cheers
    Eh, I think you'll find scores of them anywhere in Meath, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HwH

Well yes but somewhere easily accessible, safe, and i don't particularly want to spend whole days searching! But thanks for your useful reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Eh, OK... Have you tried your local hedgerow?

Bit of a mad thread - not least because I'm on the lookout for blackthorn bushes myself!

The trouble where I am is that hawthorn seems to be predominant.

I know that there are a couple of small bushes down by the train tracks in Enfield. However, these are not easily accessible - as a matter of fact I think that you'd be foolish to try to get at them.

That said, I'd be interested in finding out where these elusive blackthorn bushes are hiding! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

A sloe tree on the Trim Road coming out of Navan, if I remember correctly. Btwn balreask Village and Silverbrook.

As we are on the subject of fruit trees, anyone know where there is a Mulberry tree in Meath? They're lovely, finished fruiting now, but would like to track one down for next year to go with my apple tarts.....

• Advertisement

Was up in Donegal the last couple of days and went out to cut some blackthorn. Only got one half decent stick - not sure how it's going to work out.

I did however pick about two to three kilos of sloes - perfectly ripe.

They're now in the possession of my father, who's using them to make sloe gin!

Advertisement