Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Commission reaching for the wooden spoon...

Options
  • 03-11-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Looks like Brussels are reaching for the wooden spoon to put us back to where we should be with regard to our budgetary situation...

The European Commission will launch disciplinary action against Ireland in the coming weeks for allowing a sharp deterioration in its public finances, EU Economic Affairs Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said today.

'We will start the procedures to open an excessive deficit procedure with a recommendation to correct the deficit in the coming weeks,' Almunia said.

Ireland, which has long run budget surpluses, will see its public finances swing deep into deficit this year with a shortfall equal to 5.5% of output, the European Commission estimated earlier today.
    Advertisement

That would put the public deficit well beyond a limit of 3% normally allowed in the European Union.

However, the commission forecast that the situation would only get worse, estimating that the difference between Ireland's spending and revenues would rise to 6.8% in 2009 and 7.2% in 2010.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/1103/eu.html

It's hard to see how there won't be huge job losses now in the public sector, because this is where we are hemoraging the money from...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

And to think they would have let us away with it if we had voted Yes to Lisbon.

Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How does the EU disipline a country? Esp when said state is being "encouraged" to hold a second referendum on EU matters?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It looks to me like we are going to have the collective arses spanked off ourselves until government spending comes down to where revenue is. At least biffo can point to the EU Bogeyman now and say we are being forced to cut spending by Brussels, it's a good job they aren't asking us to hold that Lisbon thingy again anytime soon, isn't it!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Didn't Germany and France run up deficits in excess of three percent for years? We should give the finger to Brussels like those countries did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dresden8 wrote: »

Ah well.

Well looks like another positive of the No to Lisbon if it means they have to finally sort out the Public Service wastage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How do you figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sarcasm I suspect.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

mike65 wrote: »
    Sarcasm I suspect.

Mike

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

mike65 wrote: »
    Sarcasm I suspect.

Mike
    Indeed.
    Ah. Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It looks to me like we are going to have the collective arses spanked off ourselves until government spending comes down to where revenue is. At least biffo can point to the EU Bogeyman now and say we are being forced to cut spending by Brussels, it's a good job they aren't asking us to hold that Lisbon thingy again anytime soon, isn't it!?!?!

Eh... "we"??

I never voted for FF and I've always said that the government didn't put enough funding into improving public services when they had the chance. Any idiot could have seen this years ago, but for some reason, didn't.

What was it Ray Patterson/Steve Martin said...? "It's so satisfying to leave you wallowing in your own filth. Goodbye"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Didn't Germany and France run up deficits in excess of three percent for years? We should give the finger to Brussels like those countries did.

We already gave them the finger, back in 2001. The EU commission said the Irish budget was inappropriately spendthrift, and we went ahead anyway, because who were they to tell us what to do, eh? What did they know about the Irish miracle economy?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement