Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

galway city advice mon to fri next week

• 03-11-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all bringing the gf to galway during the week next mon to friday stayin in travelodge!.

can you give me any ideas on what there is to do in galway city on a monday -fri?or ideas on best pubs for carvery etc
    OREFERABLY ON A BUDGET-beat the recession
    CHEers
    :)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Foodwise: Just head down shop street and find one that tickles your fancy. Dont be afraid to search some of the side streets off shop street for a few more.
    Finnegans is a great place for some lunch. On the way down shop street after AIB, hang a right and then its and the end of that alley on the corner. Epic sized Full Irish Breaky for €8.50.
    Cheapwise, im not too sure, I eat out every now and again so I tend to just go whereever seems nice. There's some place down that alley after AIB, but I cant remember the name of it. Small place, but nice food and a nice price (ignoring the fact they forgot to charge for the bottle of wine :pac:).
    finnegansr.jpg

Dinner time.... Fat Freddies is always a winner in my books. Cheap enough, lovely atmosphere, good food (pizzas). Its down the end of shop street on the left beside quays bar.
    fatfreddysr.jpg

As I say, head down the streets off shop street and have a look, you'll defo find something.

Drinking: Which brings me on to Quays bar. Great spot, live music most nights as far as I know. Its not cheap but its not gonna bite into your wallet. ~€4.50 for a pint of beer.
    quaysp.jpg
    Up the street is the Front door (named sonnys over the door), go deep inside it for a bit more of a lively atmosphere. Same cost of drink as Quays. Basically all the pubs down shop street are going to be about €4.50 or so a pint.
    If your after a bit of daytime grub the front door do a nice feed.

Cheaper drinking: Tuesdays in the "cellar" is "tight arsed Tuesday". Pitcher of beer for €5.... now by beer im guessing its Fosters only but for ~3 pints for €5, that cant be bet! Think they have €5 cockails somedays too. Nice place too, grand if you want to keep 1 eye on the match also. Its located opposite the GPO nightclub, just at the top of shop street.
    2411650008_79e964d0a0.jpg?v=0

Foxes bar has €3 pints of anything on tap, on monday and Tuesday. €5 cocktails also I think. It can be a hit or a miss of a place to go, empty or wedged. I wouldnt put it as a couples place, more of a group place before the dash to the clubs. Tis beside the bus station.
    foxsp.jpg

Kennedys/club K.... not been there since ever but I hear its the best place to go for holding onto your money! Awful cheap drinks, but a hole of a place. Thats what ive heard anyways.

Cuba has a comedy gig on every or most weeks, Junior Simpson is gigging this week, not sure whos next week. Check it out here. Its also a club and has a Pub (bar 903, very nice) attached. Its at the top of eyre square.
    461761446_001ff10b6e.jpg
    On a slow night, the EYE cinema is just a few hundred yards away, but then again, who goes away for a week to go to the cinema ;).

Hope that helps a bit anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Foodwise:
    Finnegans is a great place for some lunch. On the way down shop street after AIB, hang a right and then its and the end of that alley on the corner. Epic sized Full Irish Breaky for €8.50.

The "alley" is in fact Abbeygate St .. keep going past Finnegans and then around to your right to find the really cheap food places (Charcoal Grill, Golden Rickshaw, La Salsa, Homeplate, Couch Potato). They may or may not be what you're after in a week away, but may go down nicely one night if budget matters. Bethlehem used to be a real gem there, but sadly they're gone and it appears to be turning into an internet cafe.

Foodwise:
    Drinking: Which brings me on to Quays bar. Great spot, live music most nights as far as I know. Its not cheap but its not gonna bite into your wallet. ~€4.50 for a pint of beer.

The Quays is 2nd in expense only to the Dew Drop. Both rip-off places aimed at tourists. Even Tigh Coili's is only €4.10 for a pint of Guinness.

If you want a real Galway pub, head over the bridge and over to Rosin Dove (modern) or the Crane (trad). IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    If you want a real Galway pub, head over the bridge and over to Rosin Dove(modern) or the Crane (trad). IMHO.

Hi Mary, this isin't an attack at your spelling, but it's 'Roisin DUBH' which is Irish for BLACK

Easy mistake to make as DOVE and DUBH sound very similar when saying them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

What age are you and your girlfriend ?
    If over 25 then avoid Foxes, Kennedy's, Club K are complete Kips and should be avoided at all costs. In fact the only place up that side of town is really Cuba.

Also I don't think your girlfriend will be too impressed if you bring her to a Kebab shop 'Charcoal Grill' for her dinner lol. Mind you it does have the finest Kebabs in the world but you can sneak that place in after a night on the town.

If you are looking for a nice place to eat in the evenings that wont cost you much...
    Thai Garden is fantastic and very reasonable.
    Milano's is a cheap and cheerful Italian place.
    Monroes do nice pizza's too and the pints are good there.
    Mc Swiggans is a great spot too for food and not too pricey.

Front Door is a good spot for a few pints but can be very busy and over crowded. Stick around Quay street and you can't really go far wrong.
    Also Dominick Street is pretty good for the pubs and grub too.
    Bierhouse is a great pub along with Roisin Dubhs and Massimos.
    Kashmir Indian Restaurant is a nice spot down there too.

Really just depends on your age and budget.

@JustMary: Apoligies, I really shouldnt of given any suggestions at all.

The restaurant I cant remember the name of is on that alley, and Finnegans is around the corner for the alley (the corner of Upper Abbeygate Street and Market street).

Im just giving my 2 cents worth. Im no tourist and I like the Quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you want a good meal of chips, fish or chicken then go to McDonaghs...I'm drooling just thinking about it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    If you want a real Galway pub, head over the bridge and over to Rosin Dove (modern) or the Crane (trad). IMHO.
    Much as I love the Roisin, I wouldn't put it in the league of "real pubs". That would imply seating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Wedensdays laughter lounge in rosins is worth the money in.
    Thursdays good band in kings head - food is on offer also I think!
    But why not soak up some real Galway culture ; get a bottle of Buckie and head down the Spanish Arch. Followed by falling up Quay Street! :D

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    But why not soak up some real Galway culture ; get a bottle of Buckie and head down the Spanish Arch

:D

Gotta agree with you about the Roisin on a Wednesday for The Laughter Lounge, it's good fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

cheers were both in mid twenties.

any advice on heading to salt hill /conemara?worth the trip?

expensive?

any of the toursity things actually worth doing otr just a rip>

• Advertisement

steo123 wrote: »
    cheers were both in mid twenties.

any advice on heading to salt hill /conemara?worth the trip?

expensive?

any of the toursity things actually worth doing otr just a rip>

Ya! - if you are driving definately take a trip out. Connemara is amazingly beautiful rain or shine. Stop off for lunch in cliften or lenanne. Bliss!

As for Salthill walk the prom go for a pint thats it really - if its a nice day its lovely but other then that not going to miss much out there

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Salthill is worth it alone for Da Roberta's imo.

and sorry to say this, but some of the spelling in this thread... Christ! do ye really live here or what?

Salthill is worth it alone for Da Roberta's imo.

and sorry to say this, but some of the spelling in this thread... Christ! do ye really live here or what?

That t'would be me- I can't spell! Its twue! Thank you for pionting out my weakness :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi Mary, this isin't an attack at your spelling, but it's 'Roisin DUBH' which is Irish for BLACK

Easy mistake to make as DOVE and DUBH sound very similar when saying them

Duh ... and I was worried did I spell the Roisin bit right ... which I didn't. Obviously wasn't having a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

image004.jpg

Biko you fiend!

<chuckle>

Can't believe no one thought to mention biko's suggestion - OP, it would suit you perfectly!

I hear NUIG GIG society are heading there for some sort of event. Id say they'll have a gay auld time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Galway boards 2 favourite cliches: send em to a gay bar and Drake's "pix pls lolololol".

Wait..

.. the Stage Door's a gay bar? I was wondering why they always seemed so happy to see me in there.

Roisin Dubh is a great place but my god, they really could so with some seats. It's odd because the place is full of it with the Laughter Lounge!

Cuba is a great laugh - only if you can get a stamp in. I don't really think I can go in there anymore and actually pay! If you full intend to go to a nightclub, I advise you to walk up and down shop street between 10-11 when most clubs are giving them out.

Like somebody said before, Finnegan's is a brilliant place to go if you want to eat out cheaply. Their 15euro starter/main course or main course/dessert is pretty sweet. There's another place. I think it's called Cafe du Jour? It's on the same street as where Luv It used to be. When you get mid-way down Shop Street you get to a cross roads. Turn right and down near where the pedestrian section ends there's a cafe with a canape. They do all day full irish for as cheap as 7 euro. And it's pretty decent.

• Advertisement

I've no clue how it double posted ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Foodwise: Just head down shop street and find one that tickles your fancy. Dont be afraid to search some of the side streets off shop street for a few more.
    Cheapwise, im not too sure, I eat out every now and again so I tend to just go whereever seems nice. There's some place down that alley after AIB, but I cant remember the name of it. Small place, but nice food and a nice price (ignoring the fact they forgot to charge for the bottle of wine :pac:).
    finnegansr.jpg

Dinner time.... Fat Freddies is always a winner in my books. Cheap enough, lovely atmosphere, good food (pizzas). Its down the end of shop street on the left beside quays bar.
    fatfreddysr.jpg

As I say, head down the streets off shop street and have a look, you'll defo find something.

quaysp.jpg
    Up the street is the Front door (named sonnys over the door), go deep inside it for a bit more of a lively atmosphere. Same cost of drink as Quays. Basically all the pubs down shop street are going to be about €4.50 or so a pint.
    If your after a bit of daytime grub the front door do a nice feed.

Cheaper drinking: Tuesdays in the "cellar" is "tight arsed Tuesday". Pitcher of beer for €5.... now by beer im guessing its Fosters only but for ~3 pints for €5, that cant be bet! Think they have €5 cockails somedays too. Nice place too, grand if you want to keep 1 eye on the match also. Its located opposite the GPO nightclub, just at the top of shop street.
    2411650008_79e964d0a0.jpg?v=0

Foxes bar has €3 pints of anything on tap, on monday and Tuesday. €5 cocktails also I think. It can be a hit or a miss of a place to go, empty or wedged. I wouldnt put it as a couples place, more of a group place before the dash to the clubs. Tis beside the bus station.
    foxsp.jpg

Kennedys/club K.... not been there since ever but I hear its the best place to go for holding onto your money! Awful cheap drinks, but a hole of a place. Thats what ive heard anyways.

Cuba has a comedy gig on every or most weeks, Junior Simpson is gigging this week, not sure whos next week. Check it out here. Its also a club and has a Pub (bar 903, very nice) attached. Its at the top of eyre square.
    461761446_001ff10b6e.jpg
    On a slow night, the EYE cinema is just a few hundred yards away, but then again, who goes away for a week to go to the cinema ;).

Hope that helps a bit anyways.
    STICKY THIS POST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Robbo wrote: »
    The Galway boards 2 favourite cliches: send em to a gay bar and Drake's "pix pls lolololol".

I've become predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Drake, you've been predictable for a long time now. Get a new catchphrase... ;)

And Biko, you know better. The Stage Door reply is so 2007!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah but this time it's a photo! *new twist* :)
    Oki I won't do it again. Unless there's dubs coming over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »
    Yeah but this time it's a photo! *new twist* :)
    Oki I won't do it again. Unless there's dubs coming over.

LOL. It should only be allowed for stag party enquiries. Then it should be mandatory... :D

Advertisement