Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champs league match:Liverpool v Atletico 2[All pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

well then all united premier leagues trophies must stink like sh1t from all the games that they shouldnt have won but this is football, get over it.....

what has united got to do with this game?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ntlbell wrote: »
    do u have to be a fan to discuss a match?

RARAR!!! IM A TROLL FEAR ME!!! RRARA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Jeez, this thread is movin' faster than Gerrard goin' down easy :pac:

Who are all these folk in here :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A lot of agitators...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

well then all united premier leagues trophies must stink like sh1t from all the games that they shouldnt have won but this is football, get over it.....

What has united got to do with tonights disgraceful ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised. Steven Gerrard diving to win a penalty....that's unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Jeez, this thread is movin' faster than Gerrard goin' down easy :pac:

Who are all these folk in here :confused:
    Pool fans, Trolls , United Fans, Bystanders, etc.

United have nothing to do with tonights game so lets stop talking about nonsense.

The ref had a shocker gerrard went down - didn't dive - but it wasn't foul.
    ****e game from the pool - toothless.
    Poor Trolling from ntlbell - shambolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    What has united got to do with tonights disgraceful ending.

just trying to remind some amnesia stricken fans how every team has games like these, some teams more than others. apparently its the sign of champions when it suits and luck (and 'filthy cheating') when it doesnt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The FACT is that on every team there are divers. We (Utd) have them, Pool have them, Chelski have them, Arse have them etc etc etc.

It's awful to see yes but every team does it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mayordenis wrote: »
    United have nothing to do with tonights game so lets stop talking about nonsense.

The ref had a shocker gerrard went down - didn't dive - but it wasn't foul.
    ****e game from the pool - toothless.
    Poor Trolling from ntlbell - shambolic.

what about the flailing arms and lets, the shout as he went down, no need for any of it - it may not have been a dive, but it WAS simulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jazzy wrote: »
    it wasnt a dive.

it wasnt a penalty either.

refereee was just an idiot. simple as that. wat happend after summed that up

I disagree, look at the replay, he has his full-on "AGH I'VE BEEN SHOT! Avenge me son, AVEEEENGE ME!!" look on his face and threw up his hand for a foul.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Ref should have sent off Babel for bringing the game into disrepute. I have never seen a player come on and do so much for the opposition, truely dreadful player. He will and should not be a Liverpool player next summer.

Boggles you must have missed the memo, tonights topic is that Gerrard's a low down dirty diving rat bastard.

BTW i wholeheartedly agree that Gerrard dived (well dove into the player and claimed foul play) for that and am disgusted with him. Its not the first time and it wont be the last. I dont understand all of the other fans coming on giving abuse about it though.

As Jesus once said "let he who's team's players have not dived cast the first stone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lads it wasn't a dive. The idea of Steven Gerrard diving is laughable. Here's what I think happened...

You see Gerrard accidentally slipped on one of Diego Forlan's discarded bobbins causing him to momentarily lose his balance. Then, by an unfortunate coincidence, as he flew through the air he happened to glance into the crowd and he saw Kery Katona downing an entire bottle of wine. This caused the resulting look of anguish in his face and explains why he was rolling around in agony. He deserves our sympathy.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    The FACT is that on every team there are divers. We (Utd) have them, Pool have them, Chelski have them, Arse have them etc etc etc.

It's awful to see yes but every team does it!

if it had been any other pool player i wouldn't have cared, but this is the guy who says he would never cheat, and that if he saw a team mate cheat he'd have a word cause they don't do that sort of thing at liverpool, and the liverpool fans and Stevie G loving media just lap it up.

Tauren wrote: »
    what about the flailing arms and lets, the shout as he went down, no need for any of it - it may not have been a dive, but it WAS simulation.

Aye I would agree he has a low pain threshold.

and the liverpool fans and Stevie G loving media just lap it up.

show me one post from liverpool fans here or shut it here and take it up with the media and these 'other liverpool fans' who say gerrard never dives.

EDIT also i didnt see this kinda outburst here last night when Martins went to ground every time a villa player looked at him.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Not a penalty and in fairness the ref didn't give it, the linesman did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you go down quietly the ref wont give it, hense acting that bedevils the game.

Mike

Drivel......and explains why he was rolling around in agony

?

show me one post from liverpool fans here or take it up with the media and these other liverpool fans who say gerrard never dives....

So you lot don't hold him up as a role model and ultimate pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no one talking about the stone wall penalty in the first half when Perea fouled agger i see

if it had been any other pool player i wouldn't have cared, but this is the guy who says he would never cheat, and that if he saw a team mate cheat he'd have a word cause they don't do that sort of thing at liverpool, and the liverpool fans and Stevie G loving media just lap it up.

yeah but we have to just look past the kind of bs that he (and other players) will come out with. everyone will cheat, we know that. a team would be at a disadvantage if they played the game "honestly".

it was a joke of a penalty sure but it happens a lot and tbh its just something thats going to happen.

gary neville dives, its awful to see but it will continue to happen

no....

yeah but we have to just look past the kind of bs that he (and other players) will come out with. everyone will cheat, we know that. a team would be at a disadvantage if they played the game "honestly".

it was a joke of a penalty sure but it happens a lot and tbh its just something thats going to happen.

gary neville dives, its awful to see but it will continue to happen
    Gary Neville diving is awesome to see, cause it is so damned obvious and cartoonish when he does. Great comedic factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Gerrard's momentum and the contact with the defender was the reason he went down. He appealed for the peno which if you ask me, is the most normal thing in the world. The defender made contact with Gerrard in the box in injury time, he may have been going for the ball but he didn't get to it. I don't think there is any player in the same situation who wouldn't throw his hands up in appeal.
    If the defender got to the ball first and Gerrard made contact, it would have been a free out.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    no....

fair enough - other Liveprool fans like Sally and SpekeEazy so.

he's like every other footballer, they all go down like biatches when they feel a touch on them or roll around for five minutes when you see the player only nicked them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dodgy way to win a penalty to clinch the draw, the officials were poor in the bits of the game I saw. Liverpool had two good claims for a legit penalty before that and Athletico could have had one as well. A lot of handballs that went unoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

just trying to remind some amnesia stricken fans how every team has games like these, some teams more than others. apparently its the sign of champions when it suits and luck (and 'filthy cheating') when it doesnt....

Still nothing you are saying has anything to do with the disgraceful piece of so-called ref-ing we witness tonight , The ref bottled it and made one of the worst decision I have seen . I have stated that Liverpool deserved something from the game already but that ending just leaves a bad taste.

• Advertisement

Gary Neville diving is awesome to see, cause it is so damned obvious and cartoonish when he does. Great comedic factor.

yeah agree with that, its cringeworthy but its just something that all players have had to start doing.

playing footie with people from europe in university and its just a kick around but they dive, and its kind of unheard of.

if the english/british/irish players didnt dive they would be at a disadvantage as all the foreign players are happy to dive and its something that they do from a young age. SADLY.

fair enough - other Liveprool fans like Sally and SpekeEazy so.
    i wholly agree that he's an absolute hypocrite. I dont blame him for what he's said though, he's liverpool's captain, he has to talk the talk. it would be nice if he walked the walk too, but we'll have to settle for him being a damn good player rather then the paragon of decency.

IMO more fool anyone who believes a word out of any players mouth.

Remember Terry's long speech before the start of the season that all ref's must be respected and he, for one, would be polite and kind to all refs from that moment forward...

Still nothing you are saying has anything to do with the disgraceful piece of so-called ref-ing we witness tonight , The ref bottled it and made one of the worst decision I have seen . I have stated that Liverpool deserved something from the game already but that ending just leaves a bad taste.

I think everyone in the whole world agrees.
    It was a sham from the ref.

and even when it is that obvious you dont see liverpool fans tearing towards the united match thread to shout abuse at united fans, unless the game concerns us directly (i.e. we're in it). its pretty said how united fans need to get a rise out of liverpool fans to feel big about themselves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

None of the incidents were penalties.None were even close to it.Gerrard should have got a yellow for the dive/antics going down.It was in no way a penalty.

He's done this before and ye,Liverpool fans know it.As a United fan,I admit that Ronaldo dives a lot and I havent seen a United fan deny it either,but its stupidity how ye cant see Gerrard dive or admit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

damn... was racing home from football training and caught the end of the match on the radio... was all ready to come on and rile up some 'Pool fans :)

so was it a penalty? I saw the very end of the coverage on RTE (end credits) and it looks ridiculous, but it was a bad angle... anyone have a clip of it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ntlbell wrote: »
    do u have to be a fan to discuss a match?

of course not.
    i find your idea of objective viewing without rose tinted glasses very interesting and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

because apparantly carragher is SO GOOD at cheating that he manages to slide in and then kick the ball ON PURPOSE onto his hand so he can bat it away. thats some quality cheating and to get away with it - masterful.

gerrard just ran in fast to a 50/50 ball in the air and fell over as he had jumped in the air as the defender had stayed on the ground.... thats wat happens when u run fast. i can give u object lessons in how this works on a football pitch if u want, it involves some of those universal laws which are actually immune to rose tinted anything... you know the ones - Physics. it was a 50/50 ball with no foul committed, the referee tho decided to go mental cos he is a rank amateur who doesnt know wat to do when 40,000 scousers shout for a penalty when it completely wasnt

of course we are gonna have ppl who said that stevie g dived, but they just really really want him to have died... ya know cos of the usual reasons. if stevie = diver then evil liverpool look bad and the smug levels of the accusers are allowed to rise higher and eventually they will make it to albion where a golden pedestal awaits them on top of the ivory tower

and even when it is that obvious you dont see liverpool fans tearing towards the united match thread to shout abuse at united fans, unless the game concerns us directly (i.e. we're in it). its pretty said how united fans need to get a rise out of liverpool fans to feel big about themselves....

why does it always turn into a pool v utd thing?

first off, this is a match thread. there will be a lot of pool fans here and those who dont support them. everyone can be entitled to their view....the FACT is he took a dive/looked for the peno/made a complete meal of it/cheated.

oh dont get me wrong, i am pretty sure that is the worst 'professional' refereeing i have ever seen throughout the game. they just guessed at loads of decisions like corners we shouldnt have got, goal kicks they shouldnt have, inexplicable cards and frees, 4 penalty shouts and at best a 50% success rate at calling them...

If Gary Neville ever dives, and wins a free kick for it, i'd imagine we'll see it. However, his actually skill at diving is so low it will never happen. If the ref had not given the penalty tonight, nothing would really have been said I reckon. Its cheating, and getting results for it (despite saying you would never cheat, have a word if you saw someone else cheat...) that gets on peoples nerves.

first off, this is a match thread. there will be a lot of pool fans here and those who dont support them. everyone can be entitled to their view....the FACT is he took a dive/looked for the peno/made a complete meal of it/cheated.

obviously everyones opinion is welcomed and it is not just for pool fans but a lot of the posts are just looking for a rise, see roryc's comment above (how is he not banned yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Lads it wasn't a dive. The idea of Steven Gerrard diving is laughable.
    hahahahahaha good one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

How exactly did he dive, it was never a peno but he was in the air when hit and was stretching at the time, if your stretching for the ball in the air when hit your likely to go down.
    As for the peno claim for Athletico when carra went to ground that some are complaining about, the ball was struck off his knee onto the arm, nothing he could do about it.
    I don't know why I read these after match threads, the about of ****e and trolling on them is unreal. Theres no discussion going on here, it's just the same old bull****

Jazzy wrote: »
    of course not.
    i find your idea of objective viewing without rose tinted glasses very interesting and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

because apparantly carragher is SO GOOD at cheating that he manages to slide in and then kick the ball ON PURPOSE onto his hand so he can bat it away. thats some quality cheating and to get away with it - masterful.

gerrard just ran in fast to a 50/50 ball in the air and fell over as he had jumped in the air as the defender had stayed on the ground.... thats wat happens when u run fast. i can give u object lessons in how this works on a football pitch if u want, it involves some of those universal laws which are actually immune to rose tinted anything... you know the ones - Physics. it was a 50/50 ball with no foul committed, the referee tho decided to go mental cos he is a rank amateur who doesnt know wat to do when 40,000 scousers shout for a penalty when it completely wasnt

of course we are gonna have ppl who said that stevie g dived, but they just really really want him to have died... ya know cos of the usual reasons. if stevie = diver then evil liverpool look bad and the smug levels of the accusers are allowed to rise higher and eventually they will make it to albion where a golden pedestal awaits them on top of the ivory tower
    Yeah - Gerrard couldn't have stayed on his feet, no one is denying that - it is the flailing arms, thrown back legs, look of anguish and shout for a penalty that is the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im almost disappointed i have to go to bed soon and will miss all the fun here.

Its hilarious that United fans just have nothing better to do than come in to Liverpool threads constantly looking for a reaction. Seriously lads, get out more.

There were 5 good shouts for penalties, 3 for us and 2 for Atletico, 1 was given. Get over it, the ref was a disgrace for the whole match for both sides. I cant understand why he gave Kun a yellow card at the end, i think it was for shooting after the kick off. Shít happens in football, if you dont like it then fúck off and watch something else. Refs always have and always will make mistakes. I dont hear anyone saying anything about the shout for a penalty we had in the 3rd minute when Agger was taken down.

And its even funnier that United fans claim its hilarious when Neville dives but Gerrard should be lynched.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Wow, this thread is a great reminder of why I don't read the Soccer forum.

The Perea incident should have been a penalty - he actually controlled the ball to his advantage with his hand. It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not.

The Mascherano shout probably shouldn't have been a penalty because he had already started sliding in when the ball was kicked and couldn't control the meeting of his hand with the ball.

The Carragher shout should have been a penalty because Carragher caused the ball to hit his own hand. There was nothing incidental about it.

I thought the Gerrard penalty should have been awarded because Pernia timed his jump to catch Gerrard. He wasn't looking at the ball. He just made it look good and Gerrard making a meal of it probably didn't help his own case.

Clearly I had completely different opinions on all of these before I repeatedly watched the replays but that's because you can't catch everything that happens in sports in real time. Video assistants should be brought in and this match is probably one of the best examples of why. In fact, in recent years, I've noticed a major deterioration in the standard of referees in Champions' League football. I'm not sure if that's because football has just become too big and too fast to allow part-time officials to referee the big-stage games, or if it's because referees are getting more stupid.

Either way, both teams played pretty poorly tonight and I'd expect a lot more from Liverpool who are doing great things this season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't some go and bolster the Roma - Chelsea thread?

Mike

colly10 wrote: »
    How exactly did he dive, it was never a peno but he was in the air when hit and was stretching at the time, if your stretching for the ball in the air when hit your likely to go down.
    As for the peno claim for Athletico when carra went to ground that some are complaining about, the ball was struck off his knee onto the arm, nothing he could do about it.
    I don't know why I read these after match threads, the about of ****e and trolling on them is unreal. Theres no discussion going on here, it's just the same old bull****

OK, swap out 'Dive' for 'Simulate', and we still arrive at cheating.

If Gary Neville ever dives, and wins a free kick for it, i'd imagine we'll see it. However, his actually skill at diving is so low it will never happen. If the ref had not given the penalty tonight, nothing would really have been said I reckon. Its cheating, and getting results for it (despite saying you would never cheat, have a word if you saw someone else cheat...) that gets on peoples nerves.

so trying to deceive the ref is ok as long as you fail? cheating is cheating is cheating, stop trying to rationalise your obvious bias...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Man Utd Match Thread - 90% man utd supporters, 10% others

Liverpool Match Thread - 60% man utd supporters, 30% Liverpool supporters, 10% others.

Melion wrote: »
    And its even funnier that United fans claim its hilarious when Neville dives but Gerrard should be lynched.

I think its pretty obvious we were both saying that it wasnt HA HA we got away with it funny but so bad its 'funny'. Gerrard dived, regardless of who else does/did/will do he did tonight, hence it being in tonights match thread!

• Advertisement
Advertisement