Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champs league match:Liverpool v Atletico 2[All pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

To admit to trolling once is naiive,
    roryc wrote: »
    Jesus christ its a bit of banter lads... you realise that the only reason most of us post on here when theres an upset like is to get a rise out of fans? Thanks for taking the bait

but twice.......
    damn... was racing home from football training and caught the end of the match on the radio... was all ready to come on and rile up some 'Pool fans :)

You're not doing anything for the case of non Liverpool supporters who come on here to actually try and discuss things reasonably, and fuelling the Liverpool fans who complain about trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so trying to deceive the ref is ok as long as you fail? cheating is cheating is cheating, stop trying to rationalise your obvious bias...

lol - cheatig is cheating yeah - but if you fail you got nothing from it.

Ronaldo has dived and got penalties/frees for it, and he will do so again. It annoys me when he does this. When he dives and get nothing for it I laugh at the comedic value of the dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

spockety wrote: »
    Man Utd Match Thread - 90% man utd supporters, 10% others

Liverpool Match Thread - 60% man utd supporters, 30% Liverpool supporters, 10% others.

what does that matter? does me being a utd fan mean i cant comment on pool's game? i came in here as a utd fan and not defended gerrard but almost justified what he did - saying everyone does it.

just because a utd fan comes into "YOUR" thread and says gerrard dives doesnt mean it has to turn into a pool/utd argument, this is a MATCH thread. people who watched the match come here to comment on THIS MATCH. i saw it, he took a dive, simple as.

Liverpool Match Thread - 60% man utd supporters, 30% Liverpool supporters, 10% others.

Stats brought to you by the Red party, Republicans and Fox news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It seems to me from reading the thread that the concensus amongst Liverpool fans is that the penalty decision can be justified in one of the following ways ...

1) The ref is to blame.

2) United players have dived in the past so the penalty is thus OK.

3) It is foolish to dsicuss football matters because these things happen and thus it ought to be brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I think its pretty obvious we were both saying that it wasnt HA HA we got away with it funny but so bad its 'funny'. Gerrard dived, regardless of who else does/did/will do he did tonight, hence it being in tonights match thread!

Well im saying HA HA we got away with it tonight. Does that make it ok?

Melion wrote: »

if thats the route you want to go, yeah - its ok.

We all reserve the right to state that you condone cheating as long as it suits you, though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

what does that matter? does me being a utd fan mean i cant comment on pool's game? i came in here as a utd fan and not defended gerrard but almost justified what he did - saying everyone does it.

just because a utd fan comes into "YOUR" thread and says gerrard dives doesnt mean it has to turn into a pool/utd argument, this is a MATCH thread. people who watched the match come here to comment on THIS MATCH. i saw it, he took a dive, simple as.

United fans are welcome, why are you getting so incensed about my percentages post? Surely it was only a bit of banter!! Just trying to get a rise out of yis!! HAHA.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:rolleyes:

It seems to me from reading the thread that the concensus amongst Liverpool fans is that the penalty decision can be justified in one of the following ways ...

1) The ref is to blame.

2) United players have dived in the past so the penalty is thus OK.

3) It is foolish to dsicuss football matters because these things happen and thus it ought to be brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

1) The ref didnt give it

2) Nope

3) Not forgotten about, but just a bit of common sense and realise that these things to happen. Accept it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

rosboy wrote: »
    To admit to trolling once is naiive,

but twice.......

You're not doing anything for the case of non Liverpool supporters who come on here to actually try and discuss things reasonably, and fuelling the Liverpool fans who complain about trolling.

If you think that is trolling, do not venture into a Celtic - Rangers thread as you will be mightily offended

Tauren wrote: »
    if thats the route you want to go, yeah - its ok.

We all reserve the right to state that you condone cheating as long as it suits you, though.

If its good enough for you and the other fella, its good enough for me

no but its part of the game now, whether we like it or not. its accepted now that it will happen. doesnt mean people have to start crying when people come into THEIR teams thread does it?

i wasnt coming in here bashing gerrard, i said he does what everyone does and that i find it funny when neville dives because hes trying to do what all others do but he cant do it.

1) The ref didnt give it
    Who blew the whistle and pointed at the spot? Did a fan run on to the pitch, kidnap him, then impersonate him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the arms flailing of course is a bit much etc. but name me one attacking player that doesnt do that when they go down in the box

1) The ref didnt give it

The ref did give it after consulting his linesman

• Advertisement

Who blew the whistle and pointed at the spot? Did a fan run on to the pitch, kidnap him, then impersonate him?

There's an assistant referee too you know?

Jazzy wrote: »
    the arms flailing of course is a bit much etc. but name me one attacking player that doesnt do that when they go down in the box

Don't need to, it is not relevant. The point is that it was simulation, cheating, from the guy who said he would never do such a thing.

United fans are welcome, why are you getting so incensed about my percentages post? Surely it was only a bit of banter!! Just trying to get a rise out of yis!! HAHA.

im not incensed at all. just find it funny that we are not allowed to post in other teams threads. some people do believe that the pool thread should be for pool fans only. some people need to grow up.

i prefer it when there is an objective view in the utd thread, you sometimes pick up on things that wont be obvious to a fan of that team.

this time i guess its very obvious!

There's an assistant referee too you know?

Who can advise, yeah - can't actually give anything though, it is always up to the ref in the end. Sure the ref can even over-rule offside calls from the assistants if he feels they are wrong, and i have seen it happen (ref called it correctly in the game I saw it in, assistant had got it wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

wow... all i can say to bastardprince and rosboy... honestly, go to www.humour.com and click on 'download'...

You think I am trolling again???? do you even know what trolling is??? After I was accused of it the other day (and got a ridiculous warning because of all the thin skinned liverpool fans moaning), I stick a smiley at the end of a sentence which is quite obviously a joke, and yet again you go moaning about trolling... ffs lads

As for the actual game, i'll hold judgement on the penalty incident until after I see it, but going by the comments so far it seems to have been an obvious dive

• Advertisement

im not incensed at all. just find it funny that we are not allowed to post in other teams threads. some peopl Do believe that the pool thread should be for pool fans only. some people need to grow up.

i prefer it when there is an objective view in the utd thread, you sometimes pick up on things that wont be obvious to a fan of that team.

All decent discussion is welcomed. There are a few United fans who do post in it and will actually have a conversation about football instead of "Rafa rotates 17 times every match", "Rafa has spent £150billion since he took over" etc

im not incensed at all. just find it funny that we are not allowed to post in other teams threads. some peopl Do believe that the pool thread should be for pool fans only. some people need to grow up.

It was just a casual observation....

Look, you are obviously pretty level and balanced from the sounds of it, but unfortunately this thread is already wrecked, and the Spurs match thread was also completely wrecked, by people who , er, support other teams, who have absolutely no interest at all in actually discussing the match at topic.

Speak sense and be welcome.

Who can advise, yeah - can't actually give anything though, it is always up to the ref in the end. Sure the ref can even over-rule offside calls from the assistants if he feels they are wrong, and i have seen it happen (ref called it correctly in the game I saw it in, assistant had got it wrong)

Ref wasnt giving it, consults linesman, awards penalty.

Whose decision is that?

3) Not forgotten about, but just a bit of common sense and realise that these things to happen. Accept it

Of course these things happen but I don't agree we should accept it. We have the whole 'The game is being ruined' thing when Ronaldo dives and I think United fans want to see greater consistency from those who come out with this attitude when it's Gerrard involved.

Nothing wrong with that. He's a terrific player but this in my opinion is a rotten aspect of his game.

Ref wasnt giving it, consults linesman, awards penalty.

Whose decision is that?

Refs decision to give it - it is down to the ref in the end. He can consult, and decide to trust his assistant, but in the end it is HIS decision to award the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

wow... all i can say to bastardprince and rosboy... honestly, go to www.humour.com and click on 'download'...

You think I am trolling again???? do you even know what trolling is??? After I was accused of it the other day (and got a ridiculous warning because of all the thin skinned liverpool fans moaning), I stick a smiley at the end of a sentence which is quite obviously a joke, and yet again you go moaning about trolling... ffs lads

As for the actual game, i'll hold judgement on the penalty incident until after I see it, but going by the comments so far it seems to have been an obvious dive

oh a smiley well sorry i take it all back....

EDIT: so you got a warning and yet you come on and do the same thing again? hmm....

All decent discussion is welcomed. There are a few United fans who do post in it and will actually have a conversation about football instead of "Rafa rotates 17 times every match", "Rafa has spent £150billion since he took over" etc

yeah those rafa comments are beyond old at this stage. some people are just very defensive in their nature (referring to people on here btw) and dont like hearing another view.

THIS IS SO OBVIOUSLY TROLLING?? OMG LIKE THIS TROLL IS JUST TRYING TO GET A RISE OUT OF US?? IM NOT EVEN GOING TO REPORT THE POST BECAUSE ITS SUCH OBVIOUS TROLLING?? INTEAD OF ACTUALLY GOING THE CORRECT ROUTE OF REPORTING A POST ILL JUST MOAN ABOUT THIS TROLLING TROLL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Of course these things happen but I don't agree we should accept it. We have the whole 'The game is being ruined' thing when Ronaldo dives and I think United fans want to see greater consistency from those who come out with this attitude when it's Gerrard involved.

Nothing wrong with that. He's a terrific player but this in my opinion is a rotten aspect of his game.

I agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Pippo Inzaghi, his arms are usually in the air as he is falling into the box

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote: »
    Pippo Inzaghi, his arms are usually in the air as he is falling into the box

never an issue though as he will have already been called offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Link to said dive?

It was just a casual observation....

Look, you are obviously pretty level and balanced from the sounds of it, but unfortunately this thread is already wrecked, and the Spurs match thread was also completely wrecked, by people who , er, support other teams, who have absolutely no interest at all in actually discussing the match at topic.

Speak sense and be welcome.

yeah well thats going to happen in an internet chat room. some people like to hide behind their computers and have a go. it's just annoying how everytime theres a utd or pool game on it turns into a utd pool argument, where if a utd fan says something about a pool player then the pool fan jumps back bringing in a utd player. AND it works vice-versa.

then instead of talking about the match its a my teams better then yours/we're top/it wont last etc etc etc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Link to said dive?

"There was no dive"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Don't need to, it is not relevant. The point is that it was simulation, cheating, from the guy who said he would never do such a thing.

so u are telling me that its only now that you have copped on that gerrard is a big giant hypocrite ?

i thought everyone knew that. i dont really care about play acting on the pitch, im far more interested in the actual incident (the contact made) as should refs. this ref didnt cos he a babbling mess... hence yes, the ref is to blame for the penalty cos his sense of reason and logic was broken and impeded by 40,000 fans and g-unit.

wat i find amazing is the amount of ppl so willing to point out the obvious to try and make themselves feel better and then go into pages and pages of nonsense that make themselves sound more like bureaucrats and pencil pushers rather then football fans.

"There was no dive"

yeah ur right. there was no dive. dont really see the need for the quotation marks tho. makes it seem disingenuous. a bit more attention to detail wouldnt go astray ^^

But nothing will be done about it, thats why i said we have to just shut up and accept it. IMO all it would take is a few straight red cards to divers and it would soon stop. Bóllox to yellow cards, it has no effect on the majority of players who dive(wingers, strikers and attacking midfielders).

And of course, United would win fúck all if Ronaldo kept getting sent off and suspended ;)

In all his diving glory

25ujlzq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

never an issue though as he will have already been called offside.

you know linesmen make mistakes, apparently much more than ref's these days so there is the the chance pippo will be flagged on wrongly

yeah those rafa comments are beyond old at this stage. some people are just very defensive in their nature (referring to people on here btw) and dont like hearing another view.

I'm happy to hear views on the match , or views that seem genuinely designed to debate or are backed with facts.

On the present topic, my first reaction to the Gerrard incident was "Christ, was that a foul? Don't think so. But thank christ the ref's a berk, and thank christ it's a peno".

I didn't think "Dive" given that he wasn't tripped etc., there was a physical barge, but I did think he made the most of it. And why not? It is endemic in the game. I don't care if Gerrard speaks out against it, he's probably saying things he would like to believe his team do not need to be told. Officialdom needs to come down hard on it, we need better officials who are willing to severely punish players for it, and perhaps even post match video review judgements by UEFA/FA that can call players up for simulation and other in game nasties.

Until something like that is done, players across all teams and levels will continue to simulate/dive/exaggerate, if not only because they know that other teams are using it to their advantage in a vicious circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

QFT

yeah well thats going to happen in an internet chat room. some people like to hide behind their computers and have a go. it's just annoying how everytime theres a utd or pool game on it turns into a utd pool argument, where if a utd fan says something about a pool player then the pool fan jumps back bringing in a utd player. AND it works vice-versa.

then instead of talking about the match its a my teams better then yours/we're top/it wont last etc etc etc

Does it happen in United threads too?

I can honestly say i dont think ive ever opened either the main United thread or any match threads(bar the ones for the matches against Liverpool)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

so u are telling me that its only now that you have copped on that gerrard is a big giant hypocrite ?

i thought everyone knew that. i dont really care about play acting on the pitch, im far more interested in the actual incident (the contact made) as should refs. this ref didnt cos he a babbling mess... hence yes, the ref is to blame for the penalty cos his sense of reason and logic was broken and impeded by 40,000 fans and g-unit.

wat i find amazing is the amount of ppl so willing to point out the obvious to try and make themselves feel better and then go into pages and pages of nonsense that make themselves sound more like bureaucrats and pencil pushers rather then football fans.
    No, i've known for a long time, but it is rare to see liverpool fans admit it. However, the first post of yours that i responded to said Gerrard simply fell to the laws of physics and that there was nothing wrong with what happened.

But nothing will be done about it, thats why i said we have to just shut up and accept it. IMO all it would take is a few straight red cards to divers and it would soon stop. Bóllox to yellow cards, it has no effect on the majority of players who dive(wingers, strikers and attacking midfielders).

Well I agree we should see more of a tougher stance taken.
    Melion wrote:
    And of course, United would win fúck all if Ronaldo kept getting sent off and suspended ;)

True although it would make the FPL game a bit more interesting. :D

Here's a longer clip of the incident if anyone hasn't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGRgTQdV8-w

I'm happy to hear views on the match , or views that seem genuinely designed to debate or are backed with facts.

On the present topic, my first reaction to the Gerrard incident was "Christ, was that a foul? Don't think so. But thank christ the ref's a berk, and thank christ it's a peno".

I didn't think "Dive" given that he wasn't tripped etc., there was a physical barge, but I did think he made the most of it. And why not? It is endemic in the game. I don't care if Gerrard speaks out against it, he's probably saying things he would like to believe his team do not need to be told. Officialdom needs to come down hard on it, we need better officials who are willing to severely punish players for it, and perhaps even post match video review judgements by UEFA/FA that can call players up for simulation and other in game nasties.

Until something like that is done, players across all teams and levels will continue to simulate/dive/exaggerate, if not only because they know that other teams are using it to their advantage in a vicious circle.

yeah theres no way gerrard is going to come out and say yeah well diving is good, we should do it and it ought to be encouraged. he has to be seen as speaking out against it/setting a good example because he's one of the biggest stars in England.

and you're exactly right, until something is done we just have to accept that everyone does it. and as you say any team who won't do it is at a disadvantage"

• Advertisement

I can honestly say i dont think ive ever opened either the main United thread or any match threads(bar the ones for the matches against Liverpool)

i tend to stay away from united threads, as you can see united fans wind me up. Mr. Alan is the only liverpool fan i know of that goes into the united threads and i dont know if this is true anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think a lot of people do though and that's the problem with situations like this. If Gerrard is going to go out and 'win' penalties like he did tonight then he should stfu being hypocritical about it.

After seeing the replay now its fairly obvious that this was a blatant dive... even worse than some of Ronnie's best. But as said earlier in the thread its part and parcel of the game now, Ronaldo prob does it more than all he rest combined so meh...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people do though and that's the problem with situations like this. If Gerrard is going to go out and 'win' penalties like he did tonight then he should stfu being hypocritical about it.

his last diving quote that i know of was in his autobiography in 2006, when does he keep going on about it?

its like playground stuff... if I dont go into your thread then you dont come into mine is it? cmon, people are entitled to their views no matter how much you disagree with them.

i get slated by all my non-utd fan mates when we get beaten. its part of being a footie fan and taking away that banter would take a lot of the fun out of it!

i read pretty much every thread at some point...like last night i was reading the toon/villa threads but as i didnt see the game i didnt comment, but i read it and if i had seen the game i probably would have posted something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement