Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champs league match:Liverpool v Atletico 2[All pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ngog is brutal, tbh liverpool would have been better off buying someone like Ameobi to come off the bench in matches.

He is young, and new. May be good in the future but this is not the time to unecessarily test him. It is a bit like Fergie taking off Rooney and bringing on Frazier Campbell in the dying mnutes of a crucial game. Would it happen? Of course it wouldnt. Oddest managerial pull since Stan didnt play Hunt in Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Highlights of tonights matches on RTE2 now, with the great Kenny Cunningham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh here lads, let's not pretend this is anything new! This is just another incident to add to the Stevie Gerrard compilation videos :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5nB_Jk9svw

Hopefully this will make Pool fans a bit more humble if they see Ronaldo "make the most of a challenge"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

thought Ngog was useful enough when he came on, after the couple of clumsy touches.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Dave! wrote: »
    Ahh here lads, let's not pretend this is anything new! This is just another incident to add to the Stevie Gerrard compilation videos :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will make Pool fans a bit more humble if they see Ronaldo "make the most of a challenge"

I hope you understand how pathetic you are.
    How many times a day do you watch that video?
    What is this thing about making all the pool fans feel humble, you all go absolutely ballistic when we lose to spurs because you are petty,
    and then when pretty much every liverpool fan agrees that the ref made a bad decision you come in with this absolute tripe.
    Nonsense of the highest order, you are a embarresment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

*slow clap*

Bravo.

podge018 wrote: »
    thought Ngog was useful enough when he came on, after the couple of clumsy touches.

this is N'gog' second appearance for us, if I remember correctly the other one was against stoke.

Jesus... didn't realise he'd done it that often, some of them are woeful. The cheek of him to talk out against it!

Take a bow son...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mayordenis wrote: »
    this is N'gog' second appearance for us, if I remember correctly the other one was against stoke.

Villa

Boggles wrote: »
    Villa

aye - your bang on, came on late.

• Advertisement

I hope you understand how pathetic you are.
    How many times a day do you watch that video?
    What is this thing about making all the pool fans feel humble, you all go absolutely ballistic when we lose to spurs because you are petty,
    and then when pretty much every liverpool fan agrees that the ref made a bad decision you come in with this absolute tripe.
    Nonsense of the highest order, you are a embarresment.

chill out dude, its relevant to the topic. The match obviously revolves around this incident and he put up a youtube video relating to it which some people (me included) haven't seen before. The refereeing is prob more at fault for letting players get away with these...

Besides, you could make a feature length movie on Ronaldo's dives, not much chance of Stevie overtaking him on that front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

aye - your bang on, came on late.

No Early, Torres was injured in the first half.

Group D is still very competitive IMO, with Liverpool and Madrid both trying to top the group and with Marseille and PSV still giving it all for the UEFA cup. A win tonight for Liverpool would gave them alot of breathing space.

roryc wrote: »
    chill out dude, its relevant to the topic. The match obviously revolves around this incident and he put up a youtube video relating to it which some people (me included) haven't seen before. The refereeing is prob more at fault for letting players get away with these...

Besides, you could make a feature length movie on Ronaldo's dives, not much chance of Stevie overtaking him on that front

I won't chill out - My problem is this "put the liverpool fans in their place" thing.

Here's the script if this were a movie

Liverpool Fan: Yea terrible decision by the ref
    Man Utd Fan: Gerrard Dived, cheating liverpool scum.
    Liverpool Fan: Again bad decision, not a dive, but not a penalty.
    Man Utd Fan: HERES A VIDEO YOU CHEATER! STOP CHEATING! How dare you not lambast your own players, abuse them more - ABUSE STEVE GERRARD -
    Liverpool Fan: ...

or at the weekend(or all this season for that matter)

Liverpool Fan: We're just happy to mount a challenge this year, but we're definately not favourite's, Chelsea and United are still expected to trump us.
    Man Utd Fan: LOLOAAS!"!! HAHA ARE YOU STUPID>??! FROTH AT MOUTH
    Liverpool Fan: Like I said - Not saying we'll win the league just want to see us in with a shout come the final 5/6 games
    Man Utd Fan: NOW YOU'VE LOST ITS OVER AND YOU SAID YOU WERE DEFINATELY 10000% GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE EAT YOUR WORDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I won't chill out - My problem is this "put the liverpool fans in their place" thing.

Man Utd Fan: HERES A VIDEO YOU CHEATER! STOP CHEATING! How dare you not lambast your own players, abuse them more - ABUSE STEVE GERRARD -

or at the weekend(or all this season for that matter)

Liverpool Fan: We're just happy to mount a challenge this year, but we're definately not favourite's, Chelsea and United are still expected to trump us.
    Man Utd Fan: LOLOAAS!"!! HAHA ARE YOU STUPID>??! FROTH AT MOUTH
    Liverpool Fan: Like I said - Not saying we'll win the league just want to see us in with a shout come the final 5/6 games
    Man Utd Fan: NOW YOU'VE LOST ITS OVER AND YOU SAID YOU WERE DEFINATELY 10000% GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE EAT YOUR WORDS

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

Seriously, that's a bit of a dramatisation.

just watching liverpool highlights, two blatant handballs not given for Pool... Madrid goal was decent

Aye - you're right the spurs thread didn't exist I'm making it up.
    Even some of the man utd fans who are just normal not mental cases admitted being embarresed by the other ones who just went berserk.
    But you're still angry since the last time in the pool vs. man city thread, When xabi alonso dived to get Zabaleta wrongly persecuted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh come on! Don't know what thread you're reading because it doesn't reflect this one. It would be more like...

Liverpool Fan: Result! Way to go Stevie G!
    Man Utd Fan: But he dived. That's disgraceful play.
    Liverpool Fan: :rolleyes: Yeah and Ronaldo doesn't?
    Man Utd Fan: Huh? What does he have to do with this?
    Liverpool Fan: FFS why are you trolling?
    Man Utd Fan: Trolling? Wha? I just want to know why you won't criticise Gerrard for diving.
    Liverpool Fan: It wasn't his fault it was the linesman who gave it.
    Man Utd Fan: Yeah but he himself dived though right?
    Liverpool: Oh F*CK YOU! TYPICAL MAN UTD TROLL! HOW DARE YOU KEEP UP WITH THIS SH*T! EVERY F*CKING THREAD THIS SH*T HAPPENS. :rolleyes:

And so forth. It's getting tiresome. Why not try to relax and look at it from a dispassionate perspective. Was it a dive? Yes. Was it wrong? Yes. Has Gerrard been unbelievably hypocritical? Yes. That's all people are saying, man.

I think you went OTT above towards Dave. Nothing wrong with highlighting Gerrard's history when trying to determine the character of the man.

Aye - you're right the spurs thread didn't exist I'm making it up.
    Even some of the man utd fans who are just normal not mental cases admitted being embarresed by the other ones who just went berserk.

A couple of posters in one thread doesn't call for a screenplay.
    But you're still angry since the last time in the pool vs. man city thread, When xabi alonso dived to get Zabaleta wrongly persecuted

It was a harsh sending off.

Oh come on! Don't know what thread you're reading because it doesn't reflect this one. It would be more like...

Man Utd Fan: Trolling? Wha? I just want to know why you won't criticise Gerrard for diving.
    Liverpool: Oh F*CK YOU! TYPICAL MAN UTD TROLL! HOW DARE YOU KEEP UP WITH THIS SH*T! EVERY F*CKING THREAD THIS SH*T HAPPENS. :rolleyes:

And so forth. It's getting tiresome. Why not try to relax and look at it from a dispassionate perspective. Was it a dive? Yes. Was it wrong? Yes. Has Gerrard been unbelievably hypocritical? Yes. That's all people are saying, man.

I think you went OTT above towards Dave. Nothing wrong with highlighting Gerrard's history when trying to determine the character of the man.

Good post... you troll :)

ffs Cunningham just called it a 'stone wall penalty'... huh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here in saying

Relax. It is all entertainment. Between cities most of you have no connection to.

Now......

I would hardly call it a Gerrard dive. A dive generally involves the look of having been tripped up. More taking advantage of a peno he probably wasnt even looking to scab but was probably fairly shocked to have been granted.

• Advertisement

are you kidding me?

Ok

1. Liverpool Fan: Result! Way to go Stevie G!

Nearly every liverpool fan on here has acknowledged it shouldnt of been a point and basically we robbed athleti.

2. Liverpool Fan: :rolleyes: Yeah and Ronaldo doesn't?

Yea I think one liverpool fan brought it up and other including myself said it was nonsense to being ronaldo et al into this.

3. Man Utd Fan: Trolling? Wha? I just want to know why you won't criticise Gerrard for diving.

I have criticised him when he has dived, today was not a dive however I'll happily sit down with anyone and watch the replay ad nauseum until we are in agreement, there was plenty of contact, and he went down.
    Dive? no, penalty? no

Every time gerrard goes down we see this same video posted, in fact I think with one Ronaldo dive debate we were all shown the gerrard video, you try to make it out as if I'm the one being over the top biased.

But just to add some clarity which somehow is lost on you.

Liverpool played really bad.
    The "penalty" should not of been.

Actually I had a penalty given against me late on in a game where we were 1 up in aswell for a very similar challenge, and to be honest, It was stupid of me to give the player any reason to go down and to give the referee a choice to make - have a look again and ask yourself would you get a free anywhere else in the pitch, the answer is yes.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

roryc wrote: »
    just watching liverpool highlights, two blatant handballs not given for Pool... Madrid goal was decent

meh, ref was rotten. Agger should have had a peno after 3 mins, and if both those handballs were deliberate hand to ball as the rule requires then so was the athletico one.

Some farcical stuff on this thread.

copacetic wrote: »
    meh, ref was rotten. Agger should have had a peno after 3 mins, and if both those handballs were deliberate hand to ball as the rule requires then so was the athletico one.

Some farcical stuff on this thread.

Yep, 4 pages of match discussion, 14 pages of ranting, 'trolling' accusations, and United fan/ Liverpool fan movie scripts

Im off to bed, g'night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol at the thread. saw the last 10 so can't really comment on the whole thing, but my god the ref was bursting a gut to give it to the pool. very lucky result for them, they really do get more than there fair share of luck. have to find out what God they are praying to.

lol at the thread. saw the last 10 so can't really comment on the whole thing, but my god the ref was bursting a gut to give it to the pool. very lucky result for them, they really do get more than there fair share of luck. have to find out what God they are praying to.

hardly had luck at weekend? Or tonight until 5th minute of injury time

18 attempts tonight, 8 on target, Madrid had 5, 2 on target.
    60%-40% possesion to Liverpool.
    63%-37% territory to Liverpool.

Liverpool played terribly but Madrid were a lot worse.

You say you only saw 10 but the also you say the ref was busting a gut to give it to pool,
    While it was probably not a peno, up until that point we had been denied 2 fairly nailed on peno's and in general he gave pretty much everything possible against us.
    Joke of a reg overall but by no means a homer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZA6WqTgBY

defender didn't get much of the ball, gerrard made a meal of it.
    penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That was the first time I saw it.

It wasn't a penalty.

In any shape or form.

But.

He didn't dive either.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZA6WqTgBY

defender didn't get much of the ball, gerrard made a meal of it.
    penalty.

Defender and Gerrard jump shoulder to shoulder, Gerrard gets a touch but knows the ball is going away from him and the goal so goes down elaborately. Not a peno.

shoulder to back.

Back my arse. It was his side at most.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Defender and Gerrard jump shoulder to shoulder, Gerrard gets a touch but knows the ball is going away from him and the goal so goes down elaborately. Not a peno.

Obviously biased, but don't see it as clear cut as that. If ball was on the floor and he got the touch first and then 'shouldered' to the ground it would be given 9/10 times. Don't see why it is any different because he got his head on it. It's a soft peno considering what wasn't given to both teams in the game, but it was a foul imo.

Heard Giles say it wasn't a peno because the defender tried to get the ball, but practically every peno is the same way. Keeper/Defender goes for the ball and gets there too late after attacker has touched it by them. They go down, peno.

I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Gerrard launched himself into the Athletico player, where was the foul committed by the Athletico player?

It's not even an arguement as to whether it's a penalty or not......it's blantely not.

• Advertisement

certainly more back than shoulder

svq2juktlvq1uqnv9ob.jpg

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Gerrard launched himself into the Athletico player, where was the foul committed by the Athletico player?

It's not even an arguement as to whether it's a penalty or not......it's blantely not.

lol, how can he launch himself into the defenders shoulder with his back while travelling in the opposite direction? At least make an effort to come up with something physically possible.

certainly more back than shoulder

svq2juktlvq1uqnv9ob.jpg

It's his side. If Gerrard is 6 inches lower then it's his shoulder.

My point is both players jumped for a ball that was clearly 50/50. Gerrard's touch on the ball was too heavy to make anything of so he went down. If that was in the middle of the area and the ball dropped for him to volley would he have gone down? I doubt it.

in fairness he would of had to jump backwards for this to be true.

My point is both players jumped for a ball that was clearly 50/50. Gerrard's touch on the ball was too heavy to make anything of so he went down. If that was in the middle of the area and the ball dropped for him to volley would he have gone down? I doubt it.

that's his back. .
    but not having a dig, your point is coming across a little muddled to me, what is your point exactly?

• Advertisement

that's his back. .
    but not having a dig, your point is coming across a little muddled to me, what is your point exactly?

I thought it was pretty clear.

Gerrard exaggerated the contact because the ball was going away from him. The contact itself didn't warrant a penalty.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't a soft peno, just that it isn't as clear cut either way as people are making out.

50/50s that the other player wins and you get them not the ball are fouls. I'm sure we have all had them, you are going all out for the ball, the other player gets there first and you are already committed and take them out. Foul. I don't get up and complain, I just wish I had got to the ball first. I'm sure the defender here feels the same way.

Plenty of the pundits on Sky, ITV and even Kenny on RTÉ without Giles and Dunphy to bully him thought it was a fair peno.

lol, how can he launch himself into the defenders shoulder with his back while travelling in the opposite direction? At least make an effort to come up with something physically possible.

You're going on as if he was pushed from behind. He jumps 3 feet into the air going for a ball that the defender is going for, and they clash. Six of one and all that. Not a peno. Football is a contact sport.

Lol at F365 pulling no punches -
    Gerrard Cons A Draw While Roma Humiliate Chelsea...

A shameful piece of gamesmanship by con-artist Steven Gerrard in front of the Kop earned Liverpool a 1-1 draw against Atletico Madrid with the Pool captain winning and converting a 95th min pen.

You're going on as if he was pushed from behind. He jumps 3 feet into the air going for a ball that the defender is going for, and they clash. Six of one and all that. Not a peno. Football is a contact sport.

whatever the challenge if you don't touch the ball you run the risk of giving away a free or peno, I'm pretty sure Martin Taylor went for the ball last year when Eduardo ended up on out of the game (now I'm not comparing the two - one is outrageously dangerous and one was slightly clumbsy) but basically it boils down to,
    Win the ball = safe
    Don't win the ball = unsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

TBH, Gerrard was going down on momentum, as was the defender, although Gerrard did "fling" his arms and looked for the penalty, which all professional footballers do - regardless of their club or national allegiance. It's BS, but it's not going to change overnight, and certainly not without a major shift in policy from the organising bodies.

As much as Gerrard looked for a peno, and so did the crowd (obviously, it was at home), the officials should be called to task over the decision. They are paid professionals, and rarely, if ever, have to justify their decisions. Even if they gave post-match interviews and held their hands up when they made a mistake, a lot of fans would understand they're just human like any of us. This aloof attitude and sense that they are robots without a personality only widens the respect gap between them, and the players and supporters.:(

It was all a bit dramatic, but if you call that a definite penalty then you either need to stop following soccer or else understand the rules and spirit of the game. The only thing about last night's game, and very many professional soccer games, is that there was a. . .

ER509_sniper_pin.gif

:P:D

I've just looked at the video again, and the defender isn't even looking at Gerrard. He's looking to play the ball, Gerrard comes steaming in, and they clash pretty much at Gerrards side. It was hardly an elbow in the spine.

maroydenis - I take your point about not making contact with the ball, but I just didn't see any foul play on the part of the defender at all, and thus I thought the pen decision was unjust..........but Perea's handball should have been given so......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Gerrard said: "I was not sure it was a penalty. I got to the ball first and I suppose if that was outside the area it would be a free-kick."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Jazzy wrote: »
    Gerrard said: "I was not sure it was a penalty. I got to the ball first and I suppose if that was outside the area it would be a free-kick."
    Reporter should have slapped him when he said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

CHD wrote: »
    Reporter should have slapped him when he said that.
    what do you want him to say" i threw myself on the ground to con the referee" he has said he wasnt sure it was a penalty which is refreshing and honest enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement