Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champs league match:Liverpool v Atletico 2[All pre/during/post match discussion here]

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

The defender was very foolish to make the challenge, it was needless. In realtime it does look like a foul to me and hence a penalty.

Although looking at it in less than real time its not good at all.

25ujlzq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I had to stop reading this thread due to the amount of shi*e being spouted by trolls - ridiculous. Lucky pool lucky pool bla bla bla. When United were winnin things they had there fair share of 'luck' Arsenal two. Its the way It goes.

I think now because Liverpool are actually challenging that they are incensed with absolutely every decision we get. Im of the belief that you make your own luck. You'd have heard no sob stories out of me if Liverpool lost because they didn't deserve to win - in my book anyway. I was 100% confident that we would qualify regardless

If Liverpool go through the whole season being lucky I won't care less as long as we win. We'll take It while it's going - seem to recall Ronaldo gettin a dubious peno earliar on in the season.

Lads If Liverpool are good enough we will see over the course of a season. Luck does not decide the league, or win a Champions league. We're where we want to be right, stop whinging and we'll see whose doin best come May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Brand new low for boards, people defending that penalty decision.

Unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Worrying if true - that the linesman admitted he was worng before the penalty was taken.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4457443,00.html
    Atletico Madrid defender Mariano Pernia claimed to have received an apology from the assistant referee after conceding a late penalty in his side's 1-1 draw with Liverpool in Champions League Group D on Tuesday.

Pernia was adjudged to have fouled the Reds' captain Steven Gerrard in an aerial collision in the box in the 94th minute of a game Atleti had led from the first half through a goal from their own captain Maxi Rodriguez.

Gerrard stepped up to convert the spot-kick and in the process deny the Spanish side a place in the last 16 of the competition.

But Pernia insisted he did nothing wrong and that the assistant referee admitted his mistake.

"It was a very ugly decision by the linesman, but we all make mistakes, us players too, and I think the linesman made one here," he said.

"In nobody's eyes was that a penalty. We're very hurt to have drawn the game in what was practically the final minute.

"It was an inexistent foul, Gerrard threw himself on top of me. It couldn't have been more clear.

"The linesman said 'sorry, sorry' after the penalty was given. He had time to correct it and go back on it but he didn't."

Pernia's frustration was echoed by Atleti's goalscorer Maxi, whose goal after 37 minutes had looked to have booked his side their place in the next round.

"It makes you so angry to draw like that," he said.

"We'd been planning for this all week and then it's a shame that all gets thrown way in the final action of the game, and to be honest I think the referee made a mistake."

Despite the loss of two points the Madrid side still lead Group D, level with Liverpool on eight points.

However, they must now play Dutch champions PSV Eindhoven on November 26 in an empty stadium behind closed doors following a UEFA punishment for crowd trouble during the Champions League game against Marseille at the Vicente Calderon on October 1.

Atletico defender John Heitinga admitted playing without his side's passionate supporters would be tough, but he backed the Rojiblancos to bounce back from their disappointment.

He said: "We're disappointed because it wasn't a penalty. I think when we see it back on TV it'll be hard to believe the referee gave a penalty.

"If we had won today we would be going to the next round, but now we have to win in Madrid against PSV.

"The sanction will be hard, I've got to play for the first time in my career without a crowd.

"But it happened and we can't do anything about it now so we just have to focus on the next game as a team."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I wouldn't be worried,
    you make an error and you stand up and admit it and hopefully uefa will give officials the necassary disciplining.
    not a peno, not a dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Just good simulation.

only the finest from our stevie.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mayordenis wrote: »
    not a peno, not a dive.

So how would you explain the way in which he went down. It looked like he has been shot to be honest.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So how would you explain the way in which he went down. It looked like he has been shot to be honest.

That's how I would explain it he was shot. It was a .22 if we want to be specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Modern Professional footballer in wins penalty shock..somehow this has taken up a bunch of pages in the thread.

Liverpool didnt play that well but got the draw and it was probably the correct result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yep. It WAS a dive. He played for the peno despite the negligible contact.

Getting sick of it now. He is a decent player that resorts to cheating time and time again. Here is a picture. Did someone kick him in the back?

2lwuhia.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

25ujlzq.jpg

Definite penalty.

The Madrid player makes no contact with the ball but instead bashes into the player. Free kicks and peno's are given for that all the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ziggy wrote: »

how can you handle the ball deliberately without moving your hand toward the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

are most of you lot ****in blind there was definate contact to gerrards back nobody would be able to take that in mid air and still land on their feet get a grip for **** sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

redzerdrog wrote: »
    are most of you lot ****in blind there was definate contact to gerrards back nobody would be able to take that in mid air and still land on their feet get a grip for **** sake

lol, i see this place hasnt changed anyway, 25 pages on the game and i can guess what most of its about

anyone with a bit of sense can see the defender made contact in the box without getting the ball and gerrard made the most of it.

A dive implies that there was no contact, so thats blatently not the case. it did disgust me when the ref pointed to the spot though, soft penalty to give away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

copacetic wrote: »
    how can you handle the ball deliberately without moving your hand toward the ball?

by moving your arm away from the ball but keeping it in the path in which the ball is travelling. Like the Atletico player done in the box last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was a dive for his reaction. He always does one or two dives a season, so dunno why people are defending him so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tauren wrote: »
    So you lot don't hold him up as a role model and ultimate pro?

Jesus no. He is a quality player but he shouldn't even be captain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Looked to me that Gerrard ran and jumped into the player. Rafa said it would have been a free anywhere else on the pitch. He's right, a free against Gerrard.
    The ref was a joke, sure he booked Augero for taking a shot from the tip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Last nights display by the Ref and his linesman was as I have stated already " disgraceful ", At this level of football we should not have to deal with such amateurish officials , Yes I know we will always have to deal with human errors in the game, but if the right people with the right training and level of skill are put in charge in the first place, the human error factor could/would be cut to an minimum .

Over the 90 mins there was some unreal decisions for and against both sides,Which could have swung the game either way. Think the draw was a fair result to be honest ,its just the manner it was obtained (amateurish officials f**king up)which has left a bad taste for me.

But for a minute if we can just consider the final act of madness last night , And if we can forget what teams where involved for a moment, This bad decision and level of incompetence by the Ref/Linesman has more than likely cost a team big time . It has cost them not just qualification last night but probably top spot in the group , Which in turn normally means a better draw in the next round and in some case passage to the last eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Luck does not decide the league, or win a Champions league.

Hmmm... don't let the Chelsea fans see this, don't you know United's Champion League Trophy last season was pure luck :)

As for the penalty, its been discussed to death, Gerrard made a meal of it and the ref made a bad decision, it prob won't make a difference to 'Pool in the long run, they would prob have qualified regardless.

Hopefully Ronaldo will do some acrobatics on Saturday to get things back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got a vid of the Aguero booking? I just saw him getting booked, didn't see what it was for though... shooting from the tipoff? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

it did appear to be that alright. surely it must have been something else though!??!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

roryc wrote: »
    Hmmm... don't let the Chelsea fans see this, don't you know United's Champion League Trophy last season was pure luck :)

As for the penalty, its been discussed to death, Gerrard made a meal of it and the ref made a bad decision, it prob won't make a difference to 'Pool in the long run, they would prob have qualified regardless.

Hopefully Ronaldo will do some acrobatics on Saturday to get things back to normal
    Absolute pure fluke it was ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone got a vid of the Aguero booking? I just saw him getting booked, didn't see what it was for though... shooting from the tipoff? :confused:
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    it did appear to be that alright. surely it must have been something else though!??!

Either the ref hadn't blown the whistle or he hit it first time (ie: no set up pass).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its against the rules to shoot in your own half or score or something i think aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Mr Alan wrote: »

I thought the same. But on RTE they seemed to think it was for the kickoff.
    Also here:
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cups/championsleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/11/04/manual_191035.html
    90: Another booking for an Atletico player. This time it's for Aguero, who whacks the kick-off straight over the Liverpool crossbar. It's chaos here

http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=130747
    Pernia was booked for protesting, while Heitinga was also booked for dissent after the goal had been scored, and from the restart, Aguero was bemusingly booked for kicking the ball straight over Reina's crossbar. Odd indeed

Other sources don't seem to know why he was booked, but seems strange the ref would book him at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ziggy wrote: »

it is.

Rule 12 from FIFA rules of the game:
    A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player
    handles the ball deliberately

A penalty kick is awarded if the above offences is committed
    by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of
    the ball, provided it is in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rotfl at souness on sky there just now talking about last nights match

first he thought the penalty not given hit the atletico player on his thigh and then he when show he is clearly wrong he claims the ball is moving AWAY from goal so it can't be a penalty, glad to know this new rule :eek:

and this guy managed teams in the top division in england and turkey good god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Thrill wrote: »
    25ujlzq.jpg

Definite penalty.

The Madrid player makes no contact with the ball but instead bashes into the player. Free kicks and peno's are given for that all the time.

Take off the tinted specs there.

Never a peno, the Athletico players eyes were firmly fixed on the ball. He didn't step out in front of Gerrard or the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

rossie1977 wrote: »

first he thought the penalty not given hit the atletico player on his thigh and then he when show he is clearly wrong he claims the ball is moving AWAY from goal so it can't be a penalty, glad to know this new rule :eek:

and this guy managed teams in the top division in england and turkey good god[/QUOTE]

Including LIVERPOOL SHHHHH :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

rossie1977 wrote: »

and this guy managed to almost ruin teams in the top division in england and turkey good god

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this thread still about Evil Gerrard? or have most ppl come to the conclusion that pretty much everyone in football is a hypocrite?
    or are have the bored masses who are searching for a sense of justification they are missing from their normal lives still calling the pot black?

its amazing what lengths ppl go to to make themselves feel better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Galvasean wrote: »
    Either the ref hadn't blown the whistle or he hit it first time (ie: no set up pass).

Wrong on both counts.

The ref doesn't have to blow his whistle to restart a game after a goal.
    He can hit it first time if he wants. The only requirement a player must adhere to kicking-off is that it must go forward and that he can't touch it again until another player does so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Jeez are these Utd, Chelski and Arseholenal whingers still here :eek:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Did anyone else happen to see this fantastic moment during the game?

threemonkeys.jpg

I couldn't believe it - thank goodness for Sky+! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So that's why you joined us OB. You had some sky+ video evidence :D

• Advertisement

thats an insane pic. brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

without looking over this thread, was there any deluded liverpool fns in here that believed it was a penalty? and im not talking about either of the two plausable shouts that athletico had either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thrill wrote: »
    25ujlzq.jpg

Definite penalty.

oh god i found one, i cant find the appropriate face palm unfortunatley, damn desk top pc

seriously hope you slapped yourself hard after posting that.....

ok, thats all i want on this subject, was too pissed off to post here all week, sorry to bring it back up again lads, i just hate the pool and that.... understandable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

facinating and upsetting to see people hating Liverpool more than the love their own team

kryogen wrote: »
    oh god i found one, i cant find the appropriate face palm unfortunatley, damn desk top pc

seriously hope you slapped yourself hard after posting that.....

ok, thats all i want on this subject, was too pissed off to post here all week, sorry to bring it back up again lads, i just hate the pool and that.... understandable?

yer. stupid evil liverpool fans. will they not admit that they are part of the axis of evil already and that utd and ronaldo are on the side of good and virtuous ?

every competitive footballer is a big massive hypocrite... its how they get ahead. if u want "honesty of effort" hop in with Jonny "Doc Brown" Giles and go back to '75.

i just love the superior stance utd fans take with cheating. every little victory. probably why they are utd fans in the first place ^^

Advertisement