Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox disk errors

• 03-11-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Ok so I got Gears of War last Christmas andplayed a little but never finished it due to college commitments and such. So i throw it on again the other day determined to beat the thing. PLoughing through levels until I get to Act 4 i think the game suddenly stops and says 'the disk cannot be read, possibly due to scratches'. So i restart and load again...

Same message.

So I load a previous chapter....

Same message.

Any aspect of gameplay results in this message. I look at the disk and it has minor scratches, none which I caused cause i barely played the thing at all. Im convinced the Xbox did it.

Anyway, I'm itching to finish it and was wondering do those CD repair kits work on the games to remove scratches or should i just buy it on platinum for 20 odd euro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

You could ask to swap the disk at the store you bought it in.

Never done this myself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

One of my games got scratched when i was taking the xbox out of the T.V cabinet to stand it up during a game so it could cool down cause i had been playing it for hours, but as i stood it up it scratched the disk around the edge of the surface.

It looks like the disk could have been made with the scratch and most people don't notice it when they see it but it is a scratch. I can play a lot of the game but certain parts of it just freeze or won't load.

Maybe one of your friends tried to take the xbox out for whatever reason during a game or something and the same thing happened.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I'd say its nothing to do with scratches. A dvd can be badly scratched and still work .How old is the 360. I'd say you've used it to watch a lot of dvd's on it. Correct? Looks like the laser in the dvd drive is not in focus anymore. This happens when the laser is constantly reading. (eg watching dvd movie).
    This happened to one of my older 360s. What you can do is open you 360 up take out thee dvd rom, open that, find the laser and there should be two small screws. One of these adjusts the laser of the dvd, and the other for CD reading. You need to find out which is which (google your drive and details). Then with micro screw driver turn the screw clockwise, only a small bit at a time and keep testing it with a game. There are guides online better than my posts so look them up. Google dvd POT adjustment for xbox 360.
    This is also the reason for the OPEN TRAY ERROR.

The reason it seems to happen to you more on gears is the amount of loading involved for all the textures in the game.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

I'm getting these errors all the time while playing Far Cry 2. It just freezes and says the disc is unreadable and to clean it.

It's a pain in the ass. I know MS won't have anything to do with it. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new one :(

Advertisement