Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Library.

Options
  • 03-11-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Has anyone elso noticed how noisey the library is with people chatting, talking, laughing etc..
    Its really hard to do anything with the noise level..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Noticed? Sorry, I can't hear you from the noise

I gave up studying in the library after 2nd year. It's pointless, as too many people are talking, and the open design means you can hear everything that happens in the building. If your course/college has its own labs, then I would recommend trying to get access to one of them to study. Myself and a small few others established our own little study room hidden away in the A block, where no distractions occured, except for ourselves and cleaning staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Diamond007 wrote: »
    Has anyone elso noticed how noisey the library is with people chatting, talking, laughing etc..
    Its really hard to do anything with the noise level..

Go to the 24 hour study room near the fishtank, its usually like a graveyard in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

klong wrote: »
    Go to the 24 hour study room near the fishtank, its usually like a graveyard in there.

I thought that was for Postgrads, because it says Postgraduate Reading Room on the door?

Who checks the IDs? Its usually practically empty anyway, one or two undergrads won't make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Only a 1st year but have already given up on going to the Library, Kemmy 2nd floor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

1huge1 wrote: »
    Only a 1st year but have already given up on going to the Library, Kemmy 2nd floor...

Lol @ Kemmy 2nd floor, but thats to be expected in fairness, 4th year BBS are the last year of a compulsory FYP, and as such it is usually packed with us.

It'll probably be calmer next semester..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

library in the evening is the best. during the day its a complete disaster..i find it ok from 6 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

after 6pm, not in the silent area, there's ALWAYS a group of Leaving Cert students in there talking aloud and laughing, totally unjustifies the "silent" in silent area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

just tell them to shut the F*** up, haven't noticed them there much this year but that used to work last year

after 6pm, not in the silent area, there's ALWAYS a group of Leaving Cert students in there talking aloud and laughing, totally unjustifies the "silent" in silent area.

Or say it to security to ask them for IDs :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

slightly off-topic but...

To all those who queue for computers in the library - get yourselves to Venus Labs! OK there can be queues there too but they're way shorter and move a lot quicker. I haven't been at a library PC between 10 and 6 for nearly two years now and I don't intend breaking that run any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Harpy wrote: »
    haven't noticed them there much this year but that used to work last year

You'll see a lot more of them next semester as the leaving cert approaches.
    slightly off-topic but...

To all those who queue for computers in the library - get yourselves to Venus Labs! OK there can be queues there too but they're way shorter and move a lot quicker. I haven't been at a library PC between 10 and 6 for nearly two years now and I don't intend breaking that run any time soon

Don't give away trade secrets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Polar Ice wrote: »

My bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You'll see a lot more of them next semester as the leaving cert approaches.

One of my only problems with UL is the sheer amount of leaving certs around the place in the evenings, their a pain in the library.Its more of a social gatherin place that study area for them. I'm lucky enough that our house in Oaklawns has a built in Study room if I don't fancy my own room. Although the attraction of Xbox/PC/TV is always looming..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I used to have mild dislike for the library. Now I despise it.

When it last night to do research for an essay due next week. I haven't left it until the last minute, I haven't had time before now. Anyway, book list with 30+ books on it, all of them but 3 have been taken out. Obviously my lecturer hasn't heard of short loan, but that's not the library's fault.

I notice a couple of books are due back today so I try to reserve them only for the computer to tell me I can't do that. Why not? Because the one book I do have on loan has been reserved by another user. The book isn't due back for a week, meaning I've only had it a week, but I now can't reserve any books as a result. It's like I'm being punished for having a book.

No biggie though, I'll just look through the books I have. Loads of great info in those so I decide to do some photocopying. Had left both of my cards at home, both full, so I didn't want to spend another €4 on a card. Instead I decide to check the books out. It's 10.30, so I use the self-service counter. Except I can't. I can't check out books because the one book I have on loan has been reserved by another student. At that point I felt like punching someone, I really did.

I've only got one book loaned out. I've had it a week. Now I can't reserve or check out books because someone else has a reservation on my book. Where is the logic in that? I thought the library was a place where you could check books out to read on your time but I feel like I'm being punished for taking out this one stupid book. Oh, and it's not a short loan, there are 4 other copies of it (all loaned out) and there is nothing particularly special about it at all.

Advertisement