Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭

Ok. so it's time to start thinking of what the guy in the beard and the red suit is going to leave under the tree. Some people are well organised and have it sorted all ready, not me. But, im promising to get it out of the way in the next few weeks.

so..... leading to my question..How much is too much? Are some parents going a bit mad? I know someone who spends 1k per child :eek:.

My oldest is only 4 so im thinking €200 on toys, books and throw in a few clothes. It's not a budget as such ...just a guide for not getting sucked into a buying frenzy. At age 4 he's got one thinng on his mind (Ben 10) and after that he will be very easily pleased. I bet it gets more expensive as they get older.

Anyway, i think Christmas has become a complete spendfest. Do you budget or just buy what your child wants within limits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'll be getting my daughter one 'big gift' which costs about 50 euro and maybe a little outfit and one or two extra small toys. Won't be spending more than 80-100 and tbh i think thats too much so i'll be trying to cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

young lad is 3 and it will be 200-250.All he talks about is diego,fireman sam and roary.Even if you only get one thing of each,they average out at about 40-60 quid each.

On a side note some nice things to be bought in dunnes this weekend in a half price sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I use to think that people who shopped all year round for christmas were a bit OTT .But i now understand their logic ie, buy all the smaller gifts every other week then you only have to concentrate on the larger more expensive gifts for the kids later in november/december .As for how much to spend ,i think you spend what you can afford and if possible try only buy what you think children will use and be intrested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its really up to you. When my parents wanted to save money they pulled the 12 days of Christmas stunt.

They left a a big special toy for Christmas Day and maybe one or two others and then other things [purchased during the after Christmas sales] for Three Kings Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

We are having our last visit from that guy this year. Let me tell you those last 18 years of him coming here have gone fast, but we know in our hearts that this year will be the last real believing year for our youngest.

Its a sad sad time for us.

Anyway back to the question. We do stick to a bit of a budget. The kids have always been encouraged not to ask for anything too expensive, although our elder daughter did ask for a laptop - but santa just did not bring it!!

This year our youngest is talking about asking for a digital dvd camera. But santa wont bring it - even if she does go ahead and ask.

I try to limit my spending on around 150 per child - which is still a lot in my opinon. With the older two being in on the act I tell them out straight if something they are asking for is too much. If its something I think they would really get good use out of I will get it for them for their birthdays - when its all open and clear its me buying it!! And when I only have one child to spend on.

I have learnt over the years to stop adding to the pile. It just gets too much for the kids and they cant take it all in. So its become less is more in this house.

I will be doing my shopping this month as I hate the crowds in December, and I end up buying too much as the shopping fever is contagous too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Started the shopping..

I bought a nintendo Wii.
    It is the daughters(9) main present but it is for the whole familys use. Especially Mr Qualitys. It was his idea to get it this year.
    I will spend another €90 on her maximum.

The son (3) I have spent €150 on toys so far.

The baby, will have about €50 spent on it. Its hard to buy for a newborn.

Clothes set me back a lot at christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

You can never spend too much on toys at Christmas *looks at sig* no vested interest of course :-)

Seriously though... we really overdid it on our eldest's 2nd christmas. We didn't spend that much, but with presents from relatives etc., by the end of the day there were still unopened presents. We had to put some up for her birthday. We really felt bad about it... but I guess we're all prone to overdoing it those first few Chrimbos.

My OH is French... one thing I've learned is that the Irish really do go over the top on Christmas presents. I think we do the best Christmas in the world here in Ireland though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Hopefully about 150 for the 5 year old. The others are 15,16 and 19 (on St Stephen's day) so they look for gadgets. I'll try keep it to about 300 each on the older ones. This year we've cut out buying for friends and some relations. It just used to end up as an orgy of present buying and giving and I was sick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My kid is too young to worry about, but I think I'd be motivated by how much he'd like the gift(s) rather than feeling that I had to spend a certain amount of money. I do think that 1k is far too much to spend on a child though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Not a parent (don't shoot me!), but my sister's family stays for Christmas each year. This year my niece is 5.

What we did last year, and will prob do again this year, is discuss what each person has bought for her, and then decide which ones are coming from who (including the big man himself). With large numbers of adults in the family we just keep in touch as to what's been bought - for example so far this year I've bought her Sleeping Beauty DVD and some PrizeBonds (which she won't get to find out about until she's much older). There's also a few books bought, a dressing up dress and some more prizebonds as well. Last year her "big" present was a bike. I suspect this year it's going to be something involving Dora The Explorer (unless she's grown out of that phase).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dont have kids, so maybe my opinion is not valid, but I think some of the figures people have given here are crazy. I think over about 50 for a 3 year old is over kill. At that age they get more fun out of the box it comes in than the toy thats in it. I also think it ruins their sense of value. If they get a christmas present costing 200 euro at the age of 3 by the time they get to 10 they will be wanting something costing a grand. And by the time they are 18 they will be looking for a car AND a new iPod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

syklops wrote: »
    If they get a christmas present costing 200 euro at the age of 3 by the time they get to 10 they will be wanting something costing a grand. And by the time they are 18 they will be looking for a car AND a new iPod.

Great point .They get shed loads from aunts and uncles as well. I think its over kill. So, i think im going to ask the uncles and aunts this year not to give their presents before christmas,,,,that way they can open them all on the Christmas morning.

Thanks to all for replying, think i will go alot easier this year. The're just too young and it's such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

when our first child was born, he was 9 months at Christmas, so he got the wrapping paper off our presents to crumple up and was delighted with it! Last year our third baby was 8 months at Christmas and Santa brought him a ducky rattle (only because the others would have wondered if he was left out) and he was delighted with that too! Christmas is a very special time in our house and I really love it, but we don't encourage an orgy of presents and the children ask Santa for one thing. They also get a present from their grandparents. I wouldn't spend a huge amount on each individual, but I'll probably have to spend more as they get more clued in. Now we just plant a seed and they are delighted with whatever they get. In fact last year, it really got up my nose, when people asked them what Santa was bringing and then say "what about a surprise too". Grrr. Since they've been aware of Santa, I think they get overwrought and grumpy on Christmas Day and the anticipation of it all can be too much by the time it arrives. Maybe that will change as they get older, our eldest is only 6. Christmas Eve is really the highlight for me. It's pure magic when you have true believers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Gosh I don't spend nearly as much as some of you do. They'll each get a big present but as of yet it hasn't been anything over €60 (cheaper if I can manage it). They'll also get smaller stuff for their stockings , some books, jigsaws, colouring stuff etc. Grandparents usually give us money to buy the kids something some of which goes on clothes. I would think I don't spend over €100 each. While I can get away with it I'll keep the spending as low as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

last year was probably about 400, which is a lot but it bought a bike, helmet, scooter, elbow and knee pads and some bratz dolls as well as a big toy box to tidy her room up a bit, plus the usually fillers

this year she is asking for a nintendo ds, i think they are horrible and refuse to buy it for a 7 year old, so santa is either going for a basketball stand or the nintendo wii fit board, which my sister had and my little one loves, honestly its gas watching a 7 year old girl turn it on and practice yoga.

we only have the one, so usually splash out on one big outdoors toy which we can enjoy as a family and a few small things, this year ive asked grandma to get hannah montana duvet and curtain set for her room instead of more dolls as she has about 20 bratz dolls and this is a bit selfish but i hate trying to get the damn things out of the packaging,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Dont have kids, so maybe my opinion is not valid, but I think some of the figures people have given here are crazy. I think over about 50 for a 3 year old is over kill. At that age they get more fun out of the box it comes in than the toy thats in it. I also think it ruins their sense of value. If they get a christmas present costing 200 euro at the age of 3 by the time they get to 10 they will be wanting something costing a grand. And by the time they are 18 they will be looking for a car AND a new iPod.

I wouldn't necesarily agree with this. I've always gotten mine something that they'd enjoy and not based on the cost. I've also used christmas as a time to get something big like a slide. When they were babies it was generally a few small things and clothes.

I haven't ever spent more than €500 between them and when I've gotten a big present such as a playstation it's been between them and I just bulk out their presents with the usual books, pyjamas, clothes, toiletries etc things that they need but they're now 13 and 11 presents seem to be smaller but more expensive. Some christmas's have been cheaper than previous ones and it's all down to what they'd like.

I come from a large family and we only buy presents for godchildren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

deisemum wrote: »

I come from a large family and we only buy presents for godchildren.

This is the first year we have discussed this option as a family.

I think it's a great idea. If you come from a big family, (im talking almost 20 nieces and nephews here) it's bananas trying to buy for all of them and you just end up buying junk that gets binned a day or two later. Not to mention wrapping the fecking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

littlebug wrote: »
    Gosh I don't spend nearly as much as some of you do. They'll each get a big present but as of yet it hasn't been anything over €60 (cheaper if I can manage it). They'll also get smaller stuff for their stockings , some books, jigsaws, colouring stuff etc. Grandparents usually give us money to buy the kids something some of which goes on clothes. I would think I don't spend over €100 each. While I can get away with it I'll keep the spending as low as possible.

Ditto littlebug. Usually we get one biggish thing for each and then loads and loads of little things. We would buy all the way through the year for them and stock up. Of course theres always the odd thing you have to get christmas eve ;), but we're usually sorted without breaking the bank. Its not till they are older when its consoles and games etc that the total price will increase dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

themadchef wrote: »
    This is the first year we have discussed this option as a family.

I think it's a great idea. If you come from a big family, (im talking almost 20 nieces and nephews here) it's bananas trying to buy for all of them and you just end up buying junk that gets binned a day or two later. Not to mention wrapping the fecking things!

If you come from a big family you could also do a secret santa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

two boyz 4 & 1. They have 6 other aunties and uncles on my side 4 on my husbands, all of which will be getting various toys and shiny stuff. I will be spending about 50euros on each.

They have a toy factory already as it is. Im trying to get realitives to spend no more then 10 euros on each because its just getting rediculus now. I feel i cant get my little cuties something special because i dont want to spoil them and people just dont listen. They get the biggest most expensive toy out there.... its nice for them but i dont want them ruined for life lol.

• Advertisement

Your point is very valid and i completly agree with you (point i was making earlier).... although you will find that for most toys with anykind of wow factor you will spend about 50-60 euros. I dont think I could afford to spend hundreds on my kids.

I haven't ever spent more than €500 between them and when I've gotten a big present such as a playstation it's been between them
    ya but really it was for you to share too lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

I've not yet bought on behalf of 'the white bearded guy' but plan to over the next couple of weeks. I tend to go overboard every year and then in the New Year, when looking at all everyone else has bought her, I promise myself never to buy so much for her the following Christmas....
    I think I may just take heed of that this year and split it, spend some on Panto's etc rather than just toys as she is at the age now to enjoy them :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We`re usually quite sensible when it comes to Santa.As someone said earlier you get them 300 quids worth of stuff at 2/3 they want a fortunes worth at 10/11.

This year we told the oldest(11) about the red fella so shes getting something special(to keep her quiet from the rest of them)--She wanted
    a wii before we told her so we`ll get her that and maybe another 100 euros or so on top of that.In all fairness after we told her she only wanted something for 25 euros that she saw on the TV because "Christmas is too expensive"--Her words not mine so we`re doing something right in teaching her the value of not wanting everything she sees.

With the rest of them they`re allowed to pick 2/3 items each out of the toy catalogue(within reason) so probably around 100-150 for the 6 year old,maybe 50-100 for the 2 year old(although she wants everything she sees) and less than that for the baby.

Its even madness the amount of stuff that they get from extended family--Just looked last night and theres still stuff unopened from last year in the attic,put there until they got bored with what they had and forgotten about by me :)

I'm a childminder and instead of buying toys for my mindees I normally take them out for something to eat and then take the bigger ones on to a local panto, the small ones to a playcentre.

Parents like this as it's less toys for them to end up picking up and it gives them a few childfree hours to themselves. I think children can get overwhelmed if they get too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'm a childminder and instead of buying toys for my mindees I normally take them out for something to eat and then take the bigger ones on to a local panto, the small ones to a playcentre.

Parents like this as it's less toys for them to end up picking up and it gives them a few childfree hours to themselves. I think children can get overwhelmed if they get too much.

That's worth more than a sack full of toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

My eldest asks for one thing from Santa and a surprise. She's always been like that and anything extra is always met with real joy. So last year she wanted a DS but I discouraged it as she's only 6 and I really dont want a 6 year old sitting with her face in computer games all day, so we compromissed and she got a v-tech. Then I went and got her some books and jigsaws and she was delighted. My youngest was only 6 weeks old so she just got a rattle and a teddy, purely for the older one, so she wouldn't think Santa forgot her. This year she has asked for a DS again, and I know it's only because her friends have one. She rarely played with the v-tech which has games on it and it will be the same with the DS. I'm not having much luck with the discouraging this year though, and they're so expensive. We're kind of in a jam.
    I think that €1000 is far too much to spend on kids and doesn't do them any favours. Better to see them appreciate the little things in life I think, but that's just me.

A lot of 6 and 7 year olds are big into DS Lites, there are a lot of games aimed at them. I'm addicted to the Brain Training game especially the suduko. There are some good deals around at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

beth-lou wrote: »
    My eldest asks for one thing from Santa and a surprise. She's always been like that and anything extra is always met with real joy. So last year she wanted a DS but I discouraged it as she's only 6 and I really dont want a 6 year old sitting with her face in computer games all day, so we compromissed and she got a v-tech. Then I went and got her some books and jigsaws and she was delighted. My youngest was only 6 weeks old so she just got a rattle and a teddy, purely for the older one, so she wouldn't think Santa forgot her. This year she has asked for a DS again, and I know it's only because her friends have one. She rarely played with the v-tech which has games on it and it will be the same with the DS. I'm not having much luck with the discouraging this year though, and they're so expensive. We're kind of in a jam.
    I think that €1000 is far too much to spend on kids and doesn't do them any favours. Better to see them appreciate the little things in life I think, but that's just me.

I think DS' are fine for kids as long as you set ground rules. Such as an hour at a time and defo not allowed have them at bedtime, especially at that age. None of mine have them yet, but they are hitting that age where they will want one soon.

I grew up playing Atari and commodore 64 without any restriction on times but I would have been closer to 10 when starting off. I don't think it affected me too much, although I now work in the computer inductry probably due to my facination with them.

If you do decide to get a DS, get it quick as they'll be sold out well before christmas in my opinion. Check bargain alerts forum for good places to get it. Xtravision are doing a good deal afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

di11on wrote: »
    You can never spend too much on toys at Christmas *looks at sig* no vested interest of course :-)

Of course not. But you have reminded me of your store - I had forgotten - and I'll be ordering for my kids and neice probably :)

We spend ~100 on each of the twins. One big pressie each and make up the rest with smaller toys, selection box, clothes etc. The important thing is to get things they want not how much they cost. Kids will be happy with a big yellow box if they can play with it.

Advertisement