Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Contract

Options
  • 03-11-2008 2:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to figure this out.

I'm on 3 bill pay but never signed a contact.

3 say I have a contract as I accepted their terms and conditions when I bought the phone.

Their terms and conditions states a Minimum Term commitment as referred to in 3's price guide.

The price guide doesn't state what the minimum term is.

My question is does a contract exist if I didn't sign one like all other service providers like this do?

T&C
    Price Guide

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes a contract exists, you agreed to there T&C's when you used the service

The min term is layed out as part of your price plan as outlined in the T&C's, all of Three bill pay plans have a contract period

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How did you get a billpay phone without signing a contract?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yes a contract exists, you agreed to there T&C's when you used the service

The min term is layed out as part of your price plan as outlined in the T&C's, all of Three bill pay plans have a contract period

I cant find the length of the contract. I also didnt think that buying the phone warrants acceptance of the contract. I thought it just meant I bought a phone.

I'm just interested in this as its not what I'm used to
    krudler wrote: »
    How did you get a billpay phone without signing a contract?

Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Any service I've gotten involves you signing a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm also a 3 customer and didn't sign a contract. All I did was buy a phone and start using their service - I didn't have to sign anything and there was no mention of any sort of contract or anything like that.

I would also be interested to know what's going on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kearnsr wrote: »
    I cant find the length of the contract. I also didnt think that buying the phone warrants acceptance of the contract. I thought it just meant I bought a phone.

I'm just interested in this as its not what I'm used to

Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Any service I've gotten involves you signing a contract.

So you bought a phone are you saying you haven't used it at all, ever on the Three network?

You know you have a 14 day period you can cancel during regardless of contract....this is clearly outlined in the T&C's.

If you can find me an Irish mobile provider who allows you to signup to a residential bill pay mobile phone without any contract I'll stand here in shock...because as far as I'm aware there is no such thing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you can find me an Irish mobile provider who allows you to signup to a residential bill pay mobile phone without any contract I'll stand here in shock...because as far as I'm aware there is no such thing! :)

You show me one that doesnt make you sign a contract. They all do except 3. 3 seem to impy you have a contract but as far as I'm aware unless you sign a contract you havent entered one

You show me one that doesnt make you sign a contract. They all do except 3. 3 seem to impy you have a contract but as far as I'm aware unless you sign a contract you havent entered one

Considering how incompetent 3 are, I wouldn't be surprised if they misunderstood what a contract is :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've already queried this with the NCA and Citizens Information. By USING the phone, you agree to the terms. If you use a phone without knowing the terms, that's your own fault. You can cancel within 14 days for any reason, but after that, you are tied to the 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

But surely you signed SOMETHING to get the phone? or did you buy it online?

chrislad wrote: »
    I've already queried this with the NCA and Citizens Information. By USING the phone, you agree to the terms. If you use a phone without knowing the terms, that's your own fault. You can cancel within 14 days for any reason, but after that, you are tied to the 12 months.

makes sense,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Actually the contract begins when you leave the shop with the sim card and/or phone in your hand.

Pay as you go dont have a contract and can cancel when they want. The difference between pay and go and bill pay is they you sign up to 12 months (or 18 months)

bought it in a shop. Wasnt asked to sign anything. Paid my cash and off I went

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So you gave them your bank account details for a prepay did you ??

If so thats their evidence . If not you are in luck :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So you gave them your bank account details for a prepay did you ??

If so thats their evidence . If not you are in luck :D

where did I say i was on pre pay? Even if they have my bank details it doesnt mean my I have a contract.

Blueface have my bank details for a prepay. i've no contract there

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Nearest thing to a bill phone without being tied to a 12 month contract would be the O2 Clear Sim. It doesn't entitle you to a handset unlike the 12 or 18 month plans but allows you to exit the contract by giving 30 days notice. So no termination charges are incurred.

3 don't require you to actually sign a contract instore as far as i'm aware but if you handover ID and address proofs along with dd details you surely would have an inkling that it's for more than a pay as you go phone.

RodVelvet wrote: »
    Nearest thing to a bill phone without being tied to a 12 month contract would be the O2 Clear Sim. It doesn't entitle you to a handset unlike the 12 or 18 month plans but allows you to exit the contract by giving 30 days notice. So no termination charges are incurred.

3 don't require you to actually sign a contract instore as far as i'm aware but if you handover ID and address proofs along with dd details you surely would have an inkling that it's for more than a pay as you go phone.

I've never suggested its a pre pay phone. I've just said no contract exisits. If If I use the service I pay the charges. If I want to stop using the services what is there to stop me? I have no contract that I signed that states I will use the service for 12 months

I've never suggested its a pre pay phone. I've just said no contract exisits. If If I use the service I pay the charges. If I want to stop using the services what is there to stop me? I have no contract that I signed that states I will use the service for 12 months

if you feel so strongly about this and believe your right then just cancel your direct debit and hope Three to give your account to the debt collectors :)

if you feel so strongly about this and believe your right then just cancel your direct debit and hope Three to give your account to the debt collectors :)

i dont want to cancel the direct debit i just want to figure out what the story is

I signed nothing. I just paid for the phone and left.

I didn't see, receive or sign any contract.

Note I bought in the Carphone Warehouse.

I'm not planning on moving from 3, but surely if I stopped paying and they took me to court, this would mean they have no signed contract from me, i.e. I win?

You can argue it any way you want. Either way, 14 days would be enough time to know that you had a bill pay phone, rather than a prepay one as the first time you make a call with 3, unless it's changed, you are routed to their customer care.

The difference between PayG and Bill isn't just that you sign up for a period. You also get a much cheaper phone, and much better value on your calls (for the most part)

• Advertisement

You can argue it any way you want. Either way, 14 days would be enough time to know that you had a bill pay phone, rather than a prepay one as the first time you make a call with 3, unless it's changed, you are routed to their customer care.

no one here is disputing its a bill phone. You get a bill you pay it. People are queering if there is a contact that if you stop using the service they cant say you have a 12 month contract.

I know I have a bill phone, but having a bill phone should not automatically mean you have a contract. You should only have a contract when you sign a contract; I did not sign a contract.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I know I have a bill phone, but having a bill phone should not automatically mean you have a contract. You should only have a contract when you sign a contract; I did not sign a contract.

People dont seem to be able to grasp this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

no one here is disputing its a bill phone. You get a bill you pay it. People are queering if there is a contact that if you stop using the service they cant say you have a 12 month contract.

This is something I've been wondering about for quite a while. I "signed" up to BT phone and broadband about 3 years ago, without actually signing anything, not even a direct debit mandate. I was never told that there was a contract, nor was I given, or told where to find, terms and conditions. I asked, in email, twice for my contract details and terms and conditions, both times I was told I would be forwarded them, both times, I was not.

If you don't actually sign anything, and they never show you, or tell you where to find, terms and conditions, and they can't prove that they've done any of this, does a contract legally exist?

Someone with a good solicitor can probably test this in a court, and until that happens, we won't actually know. I think that service providers (broadband, phone, TV, mobile, etc) could find themselves at the wrong end of a court decision though, since they seem to be completely ignoring contract law requirements most of the time, and yet insisting that the customer "signed" up, without ever actually signing anything.

Even though a verbal contract is legally binding, it would be difficult to prove that one exists. Any company you speek to over the phone will tell you "This call may be recorded" etc, but how many of them actually record the calls? Even then, how long do they keep the recording for? I know not all the calls are recorded, so again it would make an interesting court case.

Now, anyone willing to take it that far? I bet you a tenner you'll win :pac:

Very first line in 3's terms and conditions.

http://www.three.ie/company/pmterms-conditions.htm

Go back to where you got it and ask them how long it's for :)

Very first line in 3's terms and conditions.

http://www.three.ie/company/pmterms-conditions.htm

Go back to where you got it and ask them how long it's for :)

But if I didn't see a contract and didn't sign a contract, am I under any sort of contractual obligation? I would imagine the answer is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I've been trying to figure this out.

I'm on 3 bill pay but never signed a contact.

3 say I have a contract as I accepted their terms and conditions when I bought the phone.

Their terms and conditions states a Minimum Term commitment as referred to in 3's price guide.

The price guide doesn't state what the minimum term is.

My question is does a contract exist if I didn't sign one like all other service providers like this do?

T&C
    Price Guide

From the documents you linked
    All Pay Monthly price plans are subject to a minimum term of 12 months.

Page three of the price guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I signed nothing. I just paid for the phone and left.

I didn't see, receive or sign any contract.

Note I bought in the Carphone Warehouse.

I'm not planning on moving from 3, but surely if I stopped paying and they took me to court, this would mean they have no signed contract from me, i.e. I win?

I don't think you have to sign anything for a contract to be enforceable. After all, you don't sign a contract every time you walk into a shop and buy a pint of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

jor el wrote: »
    Even though a verbal contract is legally binding, it would be difficult to prove that one exists.

If you use the service and regularly pay for it you will likely be held that you have accepted its conditions by your actions.

A point to note, a company can't justify anything with 'its in the T&C', they have to comply with Irish and EU consumer fairness laws, which I'd guess that many large companies don't. Its just no one has money to take them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I was with 3 and I wasnt happy with some of their charges 2/3 years ago so i just cancelled the dd and walked away.there was about 5 months left in the contract but at the start they asked for a secuirity deposit(apparently i was randomly selected) which I was told would be debited against my account after 3 months.

Later I found out the the phone retailler was wrong and you have to apply after 6 months to get your money back.

Anywho I got call after call after call and my argument was that I would pay the remaining contract price if they balanced my deposit against it.

Havent heard from them since, I told them to take me to court, I'm still waiting

Advertisement