Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord switching off heating

Options
  • 03-11-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

We live in a large old house in Dublin City Centre. There are 9 apartments in the building, a mix of studio and 1 bedroom. Recently the landlord has started switching off the central heating. We have a shared heating system which is included in our rent. I have checked citizensinformation.ie and dublincity.ie for information. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? I have not contacted the PRTB yet. I don't want to unneccessarily aggravate the situation.

Regards,
    Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

depends how long its on , or what the weathers like

some people abuse it because they assume its in their rent its ok , had that problem with polish people

heating was on night and day , even when in work

ask him why in a nice way

is it on a timer ?? or maybe its costing too much that he's losing money

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I don't expect the heating to be on all the time but it is only set for a working week. Freezing at weekends and concern about heading into a cold mid-winter. The building was refurbished before i rented 2 years ago and he didn't bother his ass to insulate the inside of the masonry walls. The windows are also in a poor condition.

We close the shutters and curtains everyday at 6pm to hold in as much heat as possible.

I am interested in any information people have on my rights as a tenant to rent a habitable accommadation.

Regards,
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Call Threshold. They are the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Thank you for the advice.

I contacted Threshold and they replied the next day. They offered to meet with the landlord to resolve the situation. I am happy with the quick response and will see how things go.

Regards,
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    depends how long its on , or what the weathers like

some people abuse it because they assume its in their rent its ok , had that problem with polish people

heating was on night and day , even when in work

ask him why in a nice way

is it on a timer ?? or maybe its costing too much that he's losing money
    Surely if it is included in rent, then they have the right to leave it on day and night, unless there is something in their contract saying they cannot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Find where the heating control is. pick the lock or get a locksmith to make a key and turn it on whenever you want :D

Or get everyone to agree not to pay for the central heating. Switch it off and sort your own heating. problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

ZYX wrote: »
    Surely if it is included in rent, then they have the right to leave it on day and night, unless there is something in their contract saying they cannot.

I would liken that situation to leaving your computer constantly downloading content from the net when there is no download limit. This is, however governed by a "Fair Usage" Policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I use to have this problem with a landlord. I never had the heating on that much and one day he came along and put a lock on the "box". He only had it turned on for 1hr a day, I use to freeze in the evenings. I said it to him a couple of times but he never did anything about it. In the end I had to move out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Find where the heating control is. pick the lock or get a locksmith to make a key and turn it on whenever you want :D

Or get everyone to agree not to pay for the central heating. Switch it off and sort your own heating. problem solved.

Sorry Victor. Didnt mean to really suggest criminal behaviour - hence the smiley face. Warning noted.

Advertisement