Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what scared my rabbits?

• 03-11-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

When I'm at home, I let my rabbits have the run of the garden. It's a small, patio size, garden enclosed by a six foot fence, in an estate on the outskirts of a town in Kildare. Yesterday evening, as it was getting dark, I went outside to take them in and a small dark slinky animal practically slipped over the fence out of the garden. It was fast. I'm nearly sure it wasn't a cat. The rabbits were uninjured but very distressed -- stamping and squeaking -- it took about an hour for them to calm down. Now I watch my rabbits all the time when they're out, it's difficult for me to get anything else done! I've been careful to take them in before it starts to get dark, but I'm nervous that this creature will come back during the day. Does anyone know what it might have been?, and whether it's likely to return?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sounds like a mink. Are you near a river?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Hi Lightening, I'm near a fishing lake, and not far from a canal. I hope it's not a mink, but I just looked up some mink pictures and that could well be what I saw. My boyfried says he saw a mink not far from here the other day. It says on Wikipedia that they eat rabbits. Now I'm very worried. I work from home and have moved my desk to a back window so I can watch my rabbits. I need to know whether mink hunt during the day?, because I'm afraid to leave the window to make a cup of tea or anything. Also, I'm considering putting my rabbits into a run, which I'd rather not do, but even if they are protected that way can they be scared to death by a mink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm not to sure what you should do. The only reason I am familiar with them is I used to do a huge amount of canoeing in Ireland. From what I can gather they are incredibly tenacious and amazing hunters. I would certainly say they would take your rabbits. Post on the nature and bird watching forum http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406 to find out more, they are an introduced species, so they are not protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Yes its definitley a mink or 2 , they use waterways as travelpaths on which to hunt and they will most definitley target your rabbits now that they know they are there, if you are lucky it may have been a male which travels over quite a large distance and may not be living in close proximity to your rabbits, a female however will be working over a shorter range and will be in close proximity as their territory is much smaller.
    Mink are unwelcome aliens to Ireland and have became established by escaping from fur farms during this last few decades, they are mostly nocturnal but if they know theres a handy rabbit to be got they make strike before dark- in the meantime i would suggest that you put your rabbits in early and let them out late- a more concrete solution would be
    arranging to have them trapped and relocated or culled, they have no protection afforded to them under our laws and your local gunclub would probably offer its help-just my thoughts-hope it helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Thanks for all of that information -- the idea of my rabbits being "taken" is scaring me, but it is best that I'm aware of the habits of mink. I don't have the resources to trap and relocate them, and, though I don't like them one bit, I don't think I could go through with seeing them culled. Now that I know there are mink about, I presume they are quite common? I will keep my rabbits as secure as possible while I think about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You don't have to have the resources to trap and relocate the mink. Make a few phonecalls and find your local wildlife officer - try calling your local vet first and getting a contact number through them.

If a mink knows your rabbits are out during the day, it'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You should never leave rabbits unsupervised in a garden anyway. If they need to be left unsupervised they must be in a secure run with aviary wire on the bottom as well.
    Fox, mink, cats area all a danger even with a high fence.

Until you can get a run for them keep them indoors and safe.

Advertisement