Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software 4 U

Options
  • 03-11-2008 2:52pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried this out? It looks really cool - basically you can log in over the internet and run some UCD-only applications via a new system. They run on the server and you just view and control the application locally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

They had that years ago when I was a student, they called it a mainframe then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

how can I install this on my computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What's the link? Is it http://www.software4udirect.com/?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's through the IT Services tap on UCD Connect.

Tbh I'm not hugely fond of it - it's *very* slow on the application I tried it with (Matlab R2007). I'd prefer to have a gentle word with my project supervisor and get a proper Mac version of Matlab installed on my laptop.

It's run using a Citrix client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

Im using this its cool, iv been designing a web site with dreamweaver 8 , i didnt find it slow at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Could just be the application that I tried it with then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I tried Adobe Photoshop CS3, but I was plugged into the wired LAN. I use remote desktop to a windows PC in UCD from my mac at home to check up on simulations and it's pretty much OK for general usage. I'd say the ICA client is about the same performance-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Thanks for that - I just tried it now, and got a Maple 12 session going with no difficulty. You have to go through UCD Connect to get the web plugin, but once you've installed that and restarted your browser, you can go direct to https://itapps.ucd.ie/ from then on.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Hmm I can't log in using my UCD connect details.. any ideas?

"The supplied credentials were invalid. Please try again or contact your system administrator for help. "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Does that happen via UCD Connect too? Weird. I just tried the direct link again, no problems. Maybe your ID needs to be linked to the system somehow, so I can only suggest talk you talk to IT Services. I'm assuming you installed the XenAppWeb component, right?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You need to go through connect once so the sync will happen.

Advertisement