Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - crack on windscreen

Options
  • 03-11-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering i have a very minor crack on my windscreen. Its quite small and is on the centre of the windscreen. Will this fail me my NCT?

Also the central locking is being very funny at the moment (the locking noise is happening when don't lock the car but i close the doors or after i lock the doors there is a delay in the noise). Can they fail you on that even though the door locking function actually work?

Sorry i hope i explained that ok. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It depends on the size and location of the crack.
    From the manual..

nct_glass_thumb.jpg
    (click the pic)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

RE: Door lock. From experience they appear to be able to fail you on whatever they feel like. They failed me because of "dodgy" wiring. I asked him if he would like to visit the Seat factory and tell the cars designers that their wiring is dodgy.

He told me to go away and get the wiring sorted and come back. I went to my dealership who called the NCT garages manager who told me to bring the car back and passed it on the spot.

Point of story = Idiots!!

Also, check if you have windscreen cover on your Insurance. Get it fixed for free if you do. If not possibly Autoglass or similar can repair the crack is you are terribly worried.

Lastly on the windscreen, it would only be a visual failure so best just bring it in and if they fail you get it fixed and it wont cost a penny to retest because its visual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The NCT criteria on door locks is that it should be possible to open the door from inside (to be able to escape in an emergency/after a crash).

Once the door can be opened normally then it doesn't matter whether it will lock or not (that's a security issue, outside of the scope of the NCT).

PS: If your car is a Mk4 Golf (1998-2003) and was made around 1998-2000, the locks are famous for developing a random locking/unlocking issue, due to solder on the circuit board breaking up. It's easy to fix, if you don't mind taking the door card off and doing some disassembly - more info here

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Type 17 wrote: »
    The NCT criteria on door locks is that it should be possible to open the door from inside (to be able to escape in an emergency/after a crash).

Once the door can be opened normally then it doesn't matter whether it will lock or not (that's a security issue, outside of the scope of the NCT).
    That's grand, my car going in for NCT in a weeks time and won't lock from passenger doorlock...C/L operates pefectly though. Had a chip (inside) from where some knob broke the mirror from the windscreen was worried it wouldn't pass :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

macroman wrote: »
    That's grand, my car going in for NCT in a weeks time and won't lock from passenger doorlock...C/L operates pefectly though.

Locking/unlocking is not tested as such. However, when the door is unlocked, it should be possible to open the door from the inside or the outside, and the door latches and receivers should be tight, and not likely to allow the door to open on its own.

Coincidence: I'm bringing my wife's 2004 Golf for its first NCT tomorrow, so I've been checking it over today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Locking/unlocking is not tested as such. However, when the door is unlocked, it should be possible to open the door from the inside or the outside, and the door latches and receivers should be tight, and not likely to allow the door to open on its own.

Coincidence: I'm bringing my wife's 2004 Golf for its first NCT tomorrow, so I've been checking it over today...
    Driver side opens grand, and all doors open from inside no problem. Just passenger side lock had a screwdriver jammed into it by some scroat (scared off by alarm probably). Boot lock was a bit loose in hole, but sorted it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Correct - it's on page 23 of the manual in my first post.

Advertisement