Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do I need for this?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I need to get the following done in the two front bedroom of my semi-D and cant face starting it myself.

- Ceiling skimmed smooth. (currently stippled..ugh)
    - Internal walls skimmed
    - External walls drylined (should I also get the wisp of exising insulation replaced and the wall reslabbed or is drylining enough?)
    - Joining wall slabbed with sound insulating plasterboard
    - New window boards
    - Coving
    - Skirting boards

Am I better of getting a contractor in to do the lot of going solo?
    any recommendations (South Dublin area)
    I had a bunch of Polish lads in last year and wasnt happy with the results. Seemed a bit jack of all trades...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hey all,

I need to get the following done in the two front bedroom of my semi-D and cant face starting it myself.

- Internal walls skimmed
    - External walls drylined (should I also get the wisp of exising insulation replaced and the wall reslabbed or is drylining enough?)
    - New window boards
    - Coving
    - Skirting boards

I had a bunch of Polish lads in last year and wasnt happy with the results. Seemed a bit jack of all trades...

get quotes to compare both. it would be easy to get a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hey all,

- Internal walls skimmed
    - New window boards
    - Coving
    - Skirting boards

All You need is a plasterer and a carpenter a contractor will cost you more IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Carpenter above. Its better to get a good Carpenter to dryline, get a good Plasterer to skip walls and ceiling and get Carpenter back to install skirting.

One room is a very small job. Many Contractors wouldn't be interested IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DaveR321

As everyone said just get a Carpenter and a good Plasterer.

If you don't know any have a look posting your job on Onlinetradesmen.com you'll get quotes from qualified tradesmen.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hmm I wouldnt have thought a carpenter would have been doing the slabbing (that said I guess a plasterer wouldnt either...)

Its actually 2 rooms, 10x10 and 11x15 but you are probably correct, still too small for a contractor to come out (unless he decides to charge stupid money :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I know lots of Carpenters than slab walls and ceiling. Some also like to lay tiles. Tiling and slabbing require similar talents and skills of carpentry.

Slabs require screwing to timber battens at accurate centres. Accurate cutting of slabs, level and plumb, flush joints, neatness etc. Accurate cutting around socket holes etc.

Tiling shares similar skills - plumb, level, flush with accurate cuts. Setting out from centre line of room.

Feel free to hire a Contractor, pay him and he can ring a Carpenter and a Plastered.

IMO the best option is to compare quotes. Ring afew Contractors then ring afew Carpenters and Plasters - then just compare prices! You might be quite surprized! (You have nothing to loose)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Holy Crap times have changed.
    Left a post on onlinetradesman.com this morning and have had 4 replies and a phone call so far!

Advertisement