Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stag beetles

• 03-11-2008 4:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭

do we have stag beetles in ireland?
    i was helping a friend chop wood last night, some of which had been dead for at least a year, and i found a larva which certainly looked like a stag beetle larva. i dropped it back in to a pile of rotting wood.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have indeed got them and you found that larva in just the right sort of place. We don't see the adults too often as relative to the larva they don't live that long and are in places people are rarely looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

We have indeed got them and you found that larva in just the right sort of place. We don't see the adults too often as relative to the larva they don't live that long and are in places people are rarely looking.
    Stag Beetle Lucanus cervus is not on Irish list, meaning it hasn't been officially recorded and I think it is unlikely to be in Ireland.
    There are 2 related beetles detailed on InvertebrateIreland.
    Lesser Stag Beetle and Rhinoceros Beetle
    Any idea what kind of tree the wood was from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dorcus Parallillelipedus (spelling?) and Sinodendron Cylindricum (Spell?) are commonly reffered to as Stag Beetles and are both recorded in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mothman wrote: »
    Any idea what kind of tree the wood was from?
    i think it was horse chestnut.

Advertisement