Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Redknapp - A Top,Top Pundit!

• 03-11-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

I genuinely think he's good. He knows his football and has obviously learned a lot from the managers he's played under and especially his dad.
    Why does everyone hate him so much? I think there's a lot worse out there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he has no personality or presence at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He's a dope.
    There's a few more questionable ones.

Andy Gray. Great Commentator. Biased as Fcuk.

He spent more time at the beginning of the second half of the Everton game on saturday discussing Howard's decision not to wear a cap than the game. Then the camera zoomed in on Howard and ignored the game so he could talk about Howard putting it on.

Some of the RTE/Setanta commentators are muck aswell

I like Redknapp as well. He's a very nice guy, can't hold that against him. He's getting better at getting off the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yeh but he cant go a match without talking about his cousin or his dad, shut it we dont care jaime....

are there many genuinely good commentators/pundits out there at the moment covering the EPL? its a very short list if there are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't rate him at all. He states the obvious and does little else. He's basically Sky's Kenny Cunningham but with normal eyebrows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

He's basically Sky's Kenny Cunningham but with normal eyebrows.

and better hair! never understood why kenny doesnt just shave his head it looks atrocious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I don't rate him at all. He states the obvious and does little else. He's basically Sky's Kenny Cunningham but with normal eyebrows.

lmao :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nobody should be allowed provide punditry in a match when one of the team's managers is your own Dad. You can hardly blame the guy for being biased.

It was kind of funny hoe whenever he pundited (is that a word) all those North London derbies where Arsenal won it was clear as day taht he was bitter about teh result. Then when Tottenham finally beat (hammered) Arsenal in the CC last season he wasn't actually on the panel. It's like they knew..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The nicest thing I could say about Jamie, is like father like son. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's better than Warren Barton anyway! (slightly!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

monkey9 wrote: »
    I genuinely think he's good. He knows his football and has obviously learned a lot from the managers he's played under and especially his dad.

Which of the new awards are you trying to win with this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I genuinely think he's good.
    Well....monkey in name and in nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Everyone hates him because he's fúcking rubbish. Simple as. I'd love to see him get stuck on rte for an evening. Dunphy would probably make him cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lol @ this comment, I assume a wind-up. Jamie Redknapp bashing is one of my favourite passtimes. With his skinny ties and even more paper thin analysis he really is a laughing stock. The thing is the fellow sky pundits are so bad you've probably been tricked in to thinking he's decent. I mean Les Ferdinand and Ruud Gullit, FFS, the state of both of them.
    Redknapp just name checks every fellow analyst before proceeding to sit on that big fence of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I, for one, cannot stand the sound of his voice.

In a brief tangent, has anyone ever seen Neville Southall on Soccer Saturday commentating on Everton games? Quite good comic value to be had :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Banal punditry aside, does he need to squeeze his genitals into those tight, tight trousers and then spread eagle for the camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

A top top wanker W'ichard.

Can't stand the bloke. Provides fcuk all in the way of insightful analysis, is biased as fcuk when it comes to his old man, and to cap it all off, he seems like a smug cnut (If he kinda acknowledged the fact he was sh/t, he would be a bit more likable, but you really get the impression he thinks he's a Top Top pundit).

Sky have/had some great pundits who consistently get lumped with championship mathces, and for the life of me, I cannot understand why. I'm thinking of the likes of Kammy, Rob McCaffrey, Rodney Marsh, and John Beresford.

What really bugs me about the Redknapp situation is that I don't know anyone who actually enjoys watching him. Sky probably have tons of people at their disposal for punditry, yet persist with this mong, despite an overwhelming large majority of their audience detesting the chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You are supposed to be watching the football, not staring at his testicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sky would never employ a pundit who has a mind of his own

imagine if dunphy was on- your on sky sports

how class would that be

dunphy - hes a donkey ,no he's a bigger donkey

i could go on

sky would never employ a pundit who has a mind of his own

imagine if dunphy was on- your on sky sports

how class would that be

dunphy - hes a donkey ,no he's a bigger donkey

i could go on

Thing is, they have employed people who, whilst not Dunphy-esque, do speak their mind, and do provide good analysis. Kamara, Souness, Beresford, and Marsh are examples of this.

• Advertisement

Thing is, they have employed people who, whilst not Dunphy-esque, do speak their mind, and do provide good analysis. Kamara, Souness, Beresford, and Marsh are examples of this.

souness does get the champions league matches some times and the odd newcastle game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Humour forum is
    > That way

souness does get the champions league matches some times and the odd newcastle game

My point is, they have/had these guys on their books, and have used them, hence they (Sky) are not against providing useful analysis. So it leaves me wondering, why these blokes aren't used 9 times out of ten, with the likes of Redknapp and Gullit relegated to the odd appearance. It just makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Came into this thread expecting large doses of sarcasm by the OP. Flabbergasted that someone actually thinks Redknapp offers anything as a pundit. And his voice; I get an involunatry compulsion to throw stuff at the TV when I hear it.

Slightly OT: has anyone seen the new extended Wii ad featuring the Redknapp family? I almost threw my TV out the window on Saturday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

tbh I'd rather a Redknapp than the gobshítes like Dunphy, Dolan, Burley trying to be controversial for the sake of it. Thankfully Burley doesn't do SPL anymore.

Just when you thought you couldn't hate the guy anymore...

Icon Magaazine - a subscription magazine from Redknapp Publishing. Fashion, lifestyle and travel tips for the discerning professional footballer:

http://www.iconmagazine.co.uk/founders.html

My point is, they have/had these guys on their books, and have used them, hence they (Sky) are not against providing useful analysis. So it leaves me wondering, why these blokes aren't used 9 times out of ten, with the likes of Redknapp and Gullit relegated to the odd appearance. It just makes no sense.

maybe they dont want anything bad said about the premier league clubs
    sky know that Redknapp or Gullit have no real opinion
    easily to manage and control

maybe its money too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ardent wrote: »
    Just when you thought you couldn't hate the guy anymore...

Icon Magaazine - a subscription magazine from Redknapp Publishing. Fashion, lifestyle and travel tips for the discerning professional footballer:

http://www.iconmagazine.co.uk/founders.html

Where's the puke smiley?

and what makes it worse is he's on the adverts to

the Nintendo wii breaks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

John Giles is the best pundit around - FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭coillcam

I don't mind Jamie too much. Now Louise Redknapp is the best pundit's other half imo. I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i think giles is senile, half the time he looks like hes waiting for someone to take him to the toilet, then he snaps out of it when dunphy says "what do you think john". but at least thats slightly entertaining, redknapp is no better a piece of cardboard, you can get better analysis from pro evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I actually like Redknapp as a pundit, not as bad as people make him out to be, like his wife even more ;)

Also love Keown and Dixon when they are on MOTD.

The thing with Dunphy is that people say he is a great pundit and speaks his mind, however the moment he says something negative about your team people change their opinions very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

redknapps a prat, and please redknapp get some looser pants :D

The thing with Dunphy is that people say he is a great pundit

I don't think anybody would class Dunphy as a great pundit. He may be entertaining - though his act has grown tiresome - but he offers no deeper analysis than the likes of TopTop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

agreed dunphy just rants and everyone thinks its hilarious but it doesnt mean hes any good, i think football has changed beyond the knowledge of dunphy and giles, i like ronnie and souness they know what theyre talking about

bigstar wrote: »
    i think giles is senile

+1

I know it's harsh, but he really should be put out to pasture at this stage.

When he begins with "I know I keep on about it Darragh but..." - you know he's about to enlighten us yet again about honesty of effort, or how it's the simple things that make all the difference, or some other lame sh1t...

Ah now, I've come to love John's sermons on Honesty Of Effort and Doing The Simple Things Right and Your Bread And Butter.

I hope that the next time they do the studio up, they give Giles a rocking-chair by a fire and a bag of Werthers Originals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The perfect example of why Jamie's "punditry" does my head in was half time of the Arsenal Spurs match last week.

"ITS A FAOWL, ITS A FAOWL, LOOK AT IT, ITS A FAOWL, ITS A FAOWL, ITS A FAOWL, HOW CAN ANYONE NOT SEE THAT ITS A FAOWL?!?"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Everyone hates him because he's fúcking rubbish. Simple as. I'd love to see him get stuck on rte for an evening. Dunphy would probably make him cry.

Are you ****ting me? Dunphy goes weak at the knees when he's put on a panel with anyone who was an in any way decent professional footballer, and fawns over them to the point that a mop is needed afterwards.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Are you ****ting me? Dunphy goes weak at the knees when he's put on a panel with anyone who was an in any way decent professional footballer, and fawns over them to the point that a mop is needed afterwards.
    An opportune moment to slip this cringefest in, I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Also love Keown and Dixon when they are on MOTD.
    Actually, Dixon is by far now my favourite pundit of all the UK channels - he's streets ahear or Lawro / Hansen (not hard i know) who just couldnt be arsed anymore and are relics.

Keown is pretty good too. Wenger's smarts rubbed off on both of them i guess :|

Hereby pledging my support for Dixon, Keown and <insert wildcard> for the MoTD WC 2010 A-team !!!

On-topic: J. Redknapp doesn't annoy me so much. At least he tries. There are much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Banal punditry aside, does he need to squeeze his genitals into those tight, tight trousers and then spread eagle for the camera?

Robert Lee was on last week and he was literally bursting out of his pants.
    It looked like camel toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

My favourite Pundits at the moment have to be:

Ray Wilkins, Souness, Dixon, Lawrenson.

For laughs i like Kenny, Gilesy, Bill, Dunphy.

Despise Gray, Hansen and Redknapp.

Look on the bright side though, think in ten years we could have Beckham on MoTD... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Now Louise Redknapp is the best pundit's other half imo. I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting.

Amen to that brother ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If Redknapp would just buy a second suit I could stand him a little more.

Its always that shiny grey yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

What annoys me most about Redknapp is the sh*t eating grin that he always has on his face, he doesnt seem able to shut his mouth.

And of course his bizarre overuseage of "Top Top"

And not forgetting the fact that he doesn't actually know anything about the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

WI always thought Jamie was bad but then I moved over here and was introduced to the wisdoms of Robbie 'I used to play in the Premiership you know' Slater. Good lord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Sky have pundits?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ian Wright yet, he makes Redknapp seem ok. All Wright contributes is innit and innit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement