Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Redknapp - A Top,Top Pundit!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The pundits on SKY are possibly the worse to be seen anywhere - they are so biased its unbelievable - they try and make Bolton v Fulham out to be Argentina v Brazil. Everything is brilliant with them and Jamie Redknapp is the worst of the lot - he never has an opinion about anything - all he does is state the obvious - never anything close to controversy on Sky - they are obv. told to tow the Murdoch line or good luck.

I mean compare them to the RTE panelists who imo are the best there is - i actually enjoy watching them. What would be funny is having Redknapp appear on the RTE panel for a few games - Dunphy would kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

WellyJ wrote: »
    And not forgetting the fact that he doesn't actually know anything about the sport.

See, things like this annoy me. The bloke played Premier League football for just under fifteen years, would have talked football with his da, analysing things and yet he knows nothing about football?? I suppose you know more, yeah?

Dixon, Sherwood, Burley, McManaman, Ferdinand, Shearer, Peacock, etc are all banal to the extreme, yet it's always Redknapp who gets the stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

monkey9 wrote: »
    See, things like this annoy me. The bloke played Premier League football for just under fifteen years, would have talked football with his da, analysing things and yet he knows nothing about football?? I suppose you know more, yeah?

Dixon, Sherwood, Burley, McManaman, Ferdinand, Shearer, Peacock, etc are all banal to the extreme, yet it's always Redknapp who gets the stick!

Yes all of the above are "banal" and hard to listen too (you can add Ian Wright to that list also) but I also think Redknapp falls into the same bracket. Yes he played premier league football for under 15 years and probably did have a few chats with his dad over the years but that does not make him a good pundit. Don't get me wrong, as a Liverpool fan, I have a lot of respect for jamie Redknapp the footballer, but don't like to listen to him on Sky. He never says anything contraversial, not that this is a must, but it would be nice for some of these guys to speak their mind from time to time and not worry about insulting people. None better than John Giles IMO and of course Eamo for the comedy factor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just wonder why he gets more stick than most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

just because someone was a pro footballer doesnt mean they should be a professional commentator/pundit (in case you didnt know a lot of footballers arent that intelligent), imagine robbie keane as a pundit. kenny cunningham is another example, all eyebrows and if i talk so fast no one will notice my lack of interesting insight. most managers make decent pundits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

giles would be more interesting if he was asleep, and dunphy, hes just sensationalist

monkey9 wrote: »
    I just wonder why he gets more stick than most

Can't say I've noticed him getting more stick than most, just his fair share! In his line of 'work', you are always open to stick because it is opinionated; however I think this is one of the reasons why he does receive a certain amount of stick - his opinions are not very insightful, he says what you expect him to say over and over again and plays it very safe with his comments, IMO of course.

bigstar wrote: »
    giles would be more interesting if he was asleep, and dunphy, hes just sensationalist

You can't deny the man knows his stuff when it comes to football analysis. He may have a bit of a dreary voice but he speaks his mind 100% of the time. Yes Dunphy is a sensationalist but it's good TV and is one of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Warper wrote: »

I mean compare them to the RTE panelists who imo are the best there is - i actually enjoy watching them. What would be funny is having Redknapp appear on the RTE panel for a few games - Dunphy would kill him.

RTE provide great entertainment but as for being the best, no chance, Souness is quite good but thats about it, what makes RTE popular is that you are always hoping for another Brady/Dunphy fight like last season. I would take sky or bbc for analysis any day over rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hansen and souness are IMO the two best pundits around dunphy is as fickle constantly contradicting himself for the sake of controversy actually had a couple of drinks with redknapp before and his knowledge of football is excellent could do with a new suit though. Best thing about rte they say what the think (might not be right) which can be amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

here's my 2pence:

Redknapp is too young to be a pundit. he's got way too many friends still in the game and this keeps him on the fence. i saw him on sky sports recently out on the pitch helping john terry warm up!

Personally i find most ex pro analysis to be absolute dribble and rarely informative. its mostly cliche and i think most of them want to be off air as soon as possible.
    all too often we get the obvious stated back to us.
    Ex pro's SHOULD have more to offer but most times i'd rather listen to a journalists analysis than what we get on tv.

I do find liam brady to be good though. He gives good tatical analysis and good technical analysis of players. his input is always balanced and never comes across as impulsive. maybe a little biased towards the gooners but he knows that too!
    Giles is too repetative... "they're not closing the opposition down".."they're not keeping the ball" and dunphy knows exactly why he's there and will say anything it takes.
    Charlie Nicolas and Lou Macari are good too. they often give a bit of something that only an ex pro or someone with years in the game might pick up on.

My top pundits:
    1 Liam brady
    2 Charlie Nicolas
    3 Lou Macari

Worst
    1 Phil Thompson.... way out of his department. "whatever" yourself phil.
    2 Phil Thompson, yes, so bad he gets second spot too.
    3 Jamie Redknapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

If Redders wants to give his opinion of treatment tables around Merseyside, North London and Southampton then I might be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hansen and Souness are bloody rubber, absolute muck. Souness tries to come across as a hard ass, what a tit. Alan Smith too, awful.

He's not a typical pundit but Chris Kamara is the kiddy, never see's a bad game EVER, love that about him.

hansen and souness are IMO the two best pundits around dunphy is as fickle constantly contradicting himself for the sake of controversy actually had a couple of drinks with redknapp before and his knowledge of football is excellent could do with a new suit though. Best thing about rte they say what the think (might not be right) which can be amusing

Hansen ok but not great IMO, but as for Souness...no chance. Watch him on RTE and he's ok but wtach him on sky sports and he's like all the others. Giles and Brady for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Brady - ok
    Giles - nonsense
    Dunphy - entertaining nonsense
    Macari - cretin
    redknapp - boring
    shearer - boring
    Hansen - boring

I could go on but im sure nobody cares - Souness and Martin O' Neill all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Souness on RTE is great, mostly because I think he is hugely entertained by the refreshing ranting of the Irish pundits. Redknapp though... the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Lol, Souness is only delighted to be paid to be a pundit on a show where everyone doesn't have to mind their ps and qs. He must be thinking this is a whole new planet when he is on RTE compared to Sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Gullit was a pundit in Holland. He did the program on Sunday evening where they show the gaems played un Sunday (makes sense).
    Mr Gullit came in in the afternoon in order to see the entire match so he could give his opinion later.
    Problem was however that he always was more interested in the bar and the girls behind the bar.
    Is he on Sky? (i honestly dont know, i dont have Sky)
    I wonder if he pulls the same **** there.

And Souness... well i have a hard time to take this guy serious. I havent forgotten Ali Dia

Advertisement