Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is meant by infraction?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 6:25pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When a post gets a red card, why does the text say 'Received Infraction'?
    An infraction is an offence, not a punishment. Shouldn't it be 'received sanction' or something?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would imagine the idea is that an 'infraction' is added to your profile.

i.e. Your boards 'criminal record' now lists, among your offenses, an infraction.

</keith duffy>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

...as opposed to an infarction which is what most users seem to get following an infraction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

When a post gets a red card, why does the text say 'Received Infraction'?
    An infraction is an offence, not a punishment. Shouldn't it be 'received sanction' or something?

An infraction isn't usually a punishment - its just a strong word of warning to cop yourself on as such. The Yellow card is a more gentle approach but has no affect bar being recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

An infraction is a noun, meaning a violation or infringement of a law or agreement. (Oxford)

In my opinion pickarooney is correct, and his suggestion of an alternative is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

PhpBB has a similar feature, just that its called a 'warning'. I'm happy with relating an infraction to a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

nevf wrote: »
    PhpBB has a similar feature, just that its called a 'warning'. I'm happy with relating an infraction to a warning.

The weaker infraction is called a warning. I guess they called the more serious one an infraction because "warninger" would have sounded silly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SDooM wrote: »
    The weaker infraction is called a warning. I guess they called the more serious one an infraction because "warninger" would have sounded silly.

I dunno, I'd certainly try a pint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I dunno, I'd certainly try a pint.
    You're thinking of 'erdinger' - different stuff altogether...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

SteveC wrote: »
    You're thinking of 'erdinger' - different stuff altogether...:D

Aye but maybe it's nicer. :pac:

Advertisement