Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

223 Not allowed here. -- Part 2 --

• 03-11-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭

I had applied for a .223 license 3 months ago and still had not heard any word. I was talking to the FO 2 weeks ago about it and she told me it was still in the Supers office. So I made an appointment to see the Super for this week, but feared the worst.
    Just this minute got a phone call from the Superintendents secretary here in the Kilkenny City Garda station.

LICENSE HAS BEEN GRANTED and is in Dublin now.
    (sorry but I had to shout that out)

It must be the first .223 license or for anything bigger to get granted from the Kilkenny City station for a long time and lets hope it's not the last.

My thanks go to the NEW Kilkenny Super.

And also my thanks to all the members here that gave me hope of getting a 223.

Here is the thread I started on 02-01-2008
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209444

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well done Clive!

Just goes to show that you should always try. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

Well done, tis great what a phone call can do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Congrats clive, safe and happy shooting :D:D
    PM sent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Well done clive, now all you have to do is give all your hard earned money away:D Best of luck with it hope you enjoy it, big difference from the .22.
    Safe shooting to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

boc121 wrote: »
    Well done clive, now all you have to do is give all your hard earned money away:D Best of luck with it hope you enjoy it, big difference from the .22.
    Safe shooting to you.

CZ Varmint with HS Kelar stock @ €1150 here I come.

Lucky I put down €200 and have €300 in my pocket burning a hole away -but that €300 knows where its going now-- its off to Stakelums in Urlinford soon enough + the plastic card. :D
    Mastercard and I have arranged a meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Good to see you got there in the end. Well Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Way to go!Wishing you much happy safe hunting and target shooting with your new toy.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just as a side note I'm glad in a way that the last Super made it difficult to get a 223 license last spring and I got the CZ 22lr first. Great little gun and a lot of fun, something I will still use a lot.
    I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through the 22 but must be near 4000-6000 in the last 6 months and I'm still only getting to know it's quirks now. Love that CZ Style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Congrats Clive, well ware ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Well may you wear Clive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Delighted for you. Blimey, that took some time. Enjoy & shoot safe, great rifle, now go get some foxes fella......

Lads BIG thanks to all for your support and comments.
    This place is the biz for info, of which I will looking for more soon. 223 bullet choice and weight @9 in 1 twist :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Delighted to hear it Clive. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nice one Clive, I hope the freezer is big enough for the tails.

Nice to see that the new super copped on to the fact that a .223 is nothing sinister or in the realm of black magic. It's the perfect tool for foxing and affordable centerfire target shooting.

Nice one Clive, I hope the freezer is big enough for the tails.

Nice to see that the new super copped on to the fact that a .223 is nothing sinister or in the realm of black magic. It's the perfect tool for foxing and affordable centerfire target shooting.

With you on that one.
    I've been out with my son and his CZ lux 223, 1-12 twist, many times since last spring lamping foxes. We have shot about 25, me only the 1 (thats all he would let have a go of it :mad:), all good clean kills using Hornaday V-max 50g.
    I'm realy looking forward to getting the varmint. I'm a long time waiting for it now. Then it will be off to the Midlands range to set it up first before taking it out to the fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

congrats on the new rifle hope you have many succesful outings and safe shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

hope ya dont mind clivej a few questions ,im going down to the FO in the morning to get him to try and swap my .22lr for a .223 ,just wondering had you much trouble ,or what did ya say your reasons were for changing over ,are ya going to hold on to the .22 ?hope ya dont mind

endasmail wrote: »
    hope ya dont mind clivej a few questions ,im going down to the FO in the morning to get him to try and swap my .22lr for a .223 ,just wondering had you much trouble ,or what did ya say your reasons were for changing over ,are ya going to hold on to the .22 ?hope ya dont mind

As far as I know you will need to apply for a new license for the 223 as it's a bigger calibre in the Garda's eyes but you could get away with it give it a try.
    Trouble is not the word for trying to get the 223 here in Kilkenny read the link in the post #1 here. But the new Super allowed it though OK.

My application went:
    .......... This gun will be used for target practice, F Class competition, recreational and vermin shooting.
    I am a member of the Midland National Shooting Centre of Ireland, Derrymore, Blueball, Tullamore, Co. Offaly. so on so on.........

The key point here is that I am a member of the Midlands range.

I also have a gun safe bolted to a solid wall and another digital lock safe for the rifle bolts and ammo and house alarm fitted and used at all times.
    Overkill maybe but I wanted a 223 and later maybe a 6.5x5.5 or 308 for stalking so I put it all in now.

And yes I will keep the 22lr second best fun you can have in a field. Or first best if you keep your clothes on.
    So you keep your 22lr and apply for the 223 as well. Hourses for courses both will serve you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

nice one clive,it be interesting how i get on ,hopefully he ll understand ,just worried bout time scale he might turn round and say that i havent got the .22 long enough ,think i better hold off on the shotgun license for another while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Nice one Bud, Hope the son gets used to the lamping end of things now that Da has THE medicine for good old charlie. All ya need now is another grand for the bushnell 6500 :D FS.

• Advertisement

Nice one Bud, Hope the son gets used to the lamping end of things now that Da has THE medicine for good old charlie. All ya need now is another grand for the bushnell 6500 :D FS.

Thanks FS.
    And thanks for the few shots of your CZ varmint don't they feel just right. :D
    The pain of trying to find more $$$$$$ :eek: for the scope - still after Christmas I could manage to stash away the dosh. ;)

I got a replacement bulb for the Cluson shootalite lamp I brought for lamping (big mistake), a 75 watt bulb from a lightforce 140. The filament goes across the face of the reflector instead of front to back and is half as bright again as the 50w it replaced. So with luck it should improve that lamp a lot.

Hi to all
    Well I got the license today and I will collect the CZ varmint tomorrow afternoon sometime.
    Photo's to follow soon.
    And again thanks to all for your support.

Clive J.......from KK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

clivej wrote: »
    Hi to all
    Well I got the license today and I will collect the CZ varmint tomorrow afternoon sometime.
    Photo's to follow soon.

Clive J.......from KK

Great to hear Clive, throw up a few photos of your 300 yard groups, yeah? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Good man, Let the fun begin !!:D I got a call from me FO last Tuesday to say my licence for my new .22 was in. I've called in to the station 3 times since, the FO is now on holidays and none of the other officers on duty can find it, so I'll have to wait another 2 weeks till he gets back :( this is going on since June 12 (lost applications etc..):mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Hi to all
    Photo's to follow soon.

Clive J.......from KK

Congrats Clive, well may you wear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Hi to all
    Photo's to follow soon.

Clive J.......from KK

Fair play - no doubt the wait will have been worth it!!
    Well done

Great to hear Clive, throw up a few photos of your 300 yard groups, yeah? ;)

If I can get it as good as with my 22lr it will be someting but I'd say it would look more like a blast from a scatter gun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Jayzus clive about time :D:D. I bet you will have put 200 or so rounds throught it by this time next week :P. I find the american eagle are pretty good through mine 9 odd euro for fmj and 13 euro for hp. What glass you putting on it ???
    Enjoy and safe shooting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Congrats on getting your licence. Hope you get some nice kills over the winter :)

I'm still stuck with my .22 LR :(

• Advertisement

Jayzus clive about time :D:D. I bet you will have put 200 or so rounds throught it by this time next week :P. I find the american eagle are pretty good through mine 9 odd euro for fmj and 13 euro for hp. What glass you putting on it ???
    Enjoy and safe shooting...

I have the Nikko Nighteater 8-32x60 AG IR that I got for the 22lr - BUT with the intension of getting a 223 later on as has workrd out. Nice piece of glass and I'll see how it works out on the 223 before buying a new scope for the 22lr OR 223.

Congrats on getting your licence. Hope you get some nice kills over the winter :)
    I'm still stuck with my .22 LR :(

My son lives in the Carlow area and got a 223 as his first gun so your in the good place to apply for a centrefire sometime.

Advertisement