Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in on old car

Options
  • 03-11-2008 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 95 corolla with 183k miles on it. I was just wondering if it would be difficult to off load this type of car as a trade in. I would only be looking for about €400 for it. The reason I ask is that I know dealers are having trouble selling cars at the moment and may be reluctant to take trade ins.
    Would I be better off selling it privately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cars like that will always have a market tbh. Private sale is the best way to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Cars like that will always have a market tbh. Private sale is the best way to shift it.

+1

Put it on adverts.ie

If there's nothing wrong with the car and it has a little bit of NCT left, it will sell for €400 within a day. Mark my words :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Put it on adverts.ie

If there's nothing wrong with the car and it has a little bit of NCT left, it will sell for €400 within a day. Mark my words :)

Ya it has an NCT and has not given any problems in the 2 months I have owned it. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tuxy wrote: »
    I have a 95 corolla with 183k miles on it. I was just wondering if it would be difficult to off load this type of car as a trade in. I would only be looking for about €400 for it. The reason I ask is that I know dealers are having trouble selling cars at the moment and may be reluctant to take trade ins.
    Would I be better off selling it privately?
    I probably don't need to tell you this, but just in case: Whatever you do, don't accept €400 off the asking price of your new car for it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I probably don't need to tell you this, but just in case: Whatever you do, don't accept €400 off the asking price of your new car for it.

Is this because I should be able to get a good bit off the asking price with out a trade in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anan1 wrote: »

The garage he's buying off most likely won't want a 95 car sitting anywher near their forecourt and while €400 cars will always sell they won't be enough margin for a garage to take it.

tuxy wrote: »
    Is this because I should be able to get a good bit off the asking price with out a trade in?
    Exactly, your trade-in value should be the cash discount plus the real value of your trade-in. Say for example your new car is priced at €10,000, but the best price without a trade-in is €9,200. You should pay €9,200 - €400, = €8,800. As unkel and bigkev said, though, you'd be better off selling and buying privately.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The garage he's buying off most likely won't want a 95 car sitting anywher near their forecourt and while €400 cars will always sell they won't be enough margin for a garage to take it.
    They'd sell it straight to trade - ie they'd essentially treat it as cash.

Sound Anan1 that's good advice.

Advertisement