Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleanest way to bread chicken?

• 03-11-2008 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any tips on the cleanest way to bread chicken? by that I mean when I put the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs on seperate plates it nearly always causes a mess.

What do you use? bags or what?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Use shallow dishes with a lip to prevent overspill. Have them in production-line order, left to right: chicken, flour, eggwash, breadcrumbs. Use your left hand to pick up chicken, coat with flour, into the eggwash bowl and then drop into the crumb tray. Just cover the chicken over with crumbs with the edge of your hand, instead of flipping the chicken over, to coat the top side. Use your right hand to crumb. This keeps it dry and prevents getting a gloopy mess all over your fingers. They will get a bit sticky from going from eggwash to chicken, then to flour again, but you can minimise this if you just use your fingertips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i use separate zip lock bags for flour egg and breadcrumbs you never have to touch it. Make sure u double egg and breadcrumb it for a crispier finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Similar to monkey, I always have a wet and a dry hand:

Chicken - wet
    Flour - dry
    Eggwash- wet
    Crumbs - dry

This helps, but let's face it, it's always gonna be a bit messy - flour alone is always messy. As long as you carefully clean up any raw chicken spots, what's the problem?

Personally, I'd be against the ziplok bags unless you're gonna wash and reuse them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭nc6000

foodaholic wrote: »
    i use separate zip lock bags for flour egg and breadcrumbs you never have to touch it. Make sure u double egg and breadcrumb it for a crispier finish

Is that not very messy putting the breadcrumbed chicken back into the egg and breadcrumbs? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

Similar to monkey, I always have a wet and a dry hand:

Chicken - wet
    Flour - dry
    Eggwash- wet
    Crumbs - dry

This helps, but let's face it, it's always gonna be a bit messy - flour alone is always messy. As long as you carefully clean up any raw chicken spots, what's the problem?

Personally, I'd be against the ziplok bags unless you're gonna wash and reuse them.

i agree with u ,, that is spot on .... the correct way to flour,egg wash and breadcrumbs any thing.

and for best results use dry, hard, fine breadcrumbs left out over night. to get all the moisture out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Three plates - flour, egg wash, breadcrumbs - a sink of warm soapy water and a big cloth. Can't go wrong.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

Things to crumb ,,, brie, fish, chicken, mushrooms, if any body have any more ideas ? :rolleyes: wonder what will come back from the survey?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Advertisement