Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ubuntu 8.10

• 03-11-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

hi guys.
    i have to say that im very happy with linux, the version im using now is ubuntu. now im still trying to understand the system.
    i have the desktop running on ubuntu and the laptop is running windows.

=> can i use remote desktop on the ubuntu as server and have the laptop as the client? the programme i used was ULTRA VNC.

=> should i get antivirus? mostly i`ll be using the desktop for downloading and burn movies, if so witch one do you recomend?

=> and what is the partitions? can i resize them? to save movies and stuff on the hard disk?

thanks guys for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yes you can use remote desktop.

I would recommend calmav, or AVG. Its good to have, but not necessary.

As for partitioning questions try:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=271638

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

thank you very much for your reply

here i am again.

how do i extract rar archives? and how do i watch avi files?
    ive googled and found vlc player but dont know how to install it.
    one more thing, i plug in my portable hard drive, and ubuntu wont open it to view whats inside.
    thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Ubuntu has very good documentation esp for setting up your machine
    http://ubuntuguide.org/

Easiest way to install new applications is through the terminal and most can be found in the apt repository.

To be able to unrar files:
    Go Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type:
    "sudo apt-get install unrar"

To watch avi files:
    "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras"

Install vlc:
    "sudo apt-get install vlc"

If you're unsure about the exact package name you want to install search for it using
    "sudo apt-cache search ******"

thank you very much for your patience. i`ve been under windows spell since the 3.1 that was along time ago.

• Advertisement

yup, normal

*in the above leave out the quotation marks

just finished installing to unrar.
    and worked perfect.

but more i keep trying to figure out how everything works, the more questions i get. like:
    how do i play mkv files? i downloaded the codecs using ubuntu own video player everything is playing except mkv files (well its playing but the timing of the movie and sound dont match and kind of stalls)

burn ISO files, and other images.

thanks for the help

No problem
    At least they're known unknowns

You're gonna have to enable restricted drivers for your graphics card to work properly
    System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

I'm guessing your trying to play the mkv files in totem.
    Totem with default plugins sucks.
    Better to play them in vlc so go ahead and install it.

Burn iso with brassero
    Applications > Sound and Office

Advertisement