Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Slingbox with Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 03-11-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got their slingbox working remotely with eircom broadband.
    Its working fine on my lan but not remotely.

I followed the instructions and forwarded various ports in the routers nat table and tried them.
    It wouldn't let me forward 5001(slingbox default port) on TCP as it was being used by a game but would on UDP.

All i get is remote connection failed.

I believe these are my settings(i'm at work at the moment)
    Ip adress : 192.168.1.237
    Subnet : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 192.168.1.1
    Port : 5001
    Tried some other recommended ports too and forwarded them in the nat table but no luck.

When i'm forwarding ports it give me a few options to select as host
    NICK2(my pc name)

Which should i use,think i tried them all anyway?

Do i forward the port on TCP or UTP?

Also turned off router firewall and personal firewall but it still did not connect.

Thanks,
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The IP address you need to forward to is the address on LAN of the Slingbox, not your PC.

The address you connect to is the PUBLIC internet address (when not at home), that changes. Some modems can automatically use dyndns. see www.dyndns.org about a free account. dyndns and similar mean you don't need a static address.

Your public IP is never 192.168.xxx.xxxx range.

Also you need to set Slingbox quality to use less than your full upload speed. 512K is decent quality, but basic DSL doesn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

watty wrote: »
    The IP address you need to forward to is the address on LAN of the Slingbox, not your PC.

The address you connect to is the PUBLIC internet address (when not at home), that changes. Some modems can automatically use dyndns. see www.dyndns.org about a free account. dyndns and similar mean you don't need a static address.

Your public IP is never 192.168.xxx.xxxx range.

Also you need to set Slingbox quality to use less than your full upload speed. 512K is decent quality, but basic DSL doesn't do it.

Thanks watty,

So the address i should forward the port to is 192.168.xxx.xxxx(address on LAN of the Slingbox) not NICK2(PC name).

I'm pretty sure i tried that and it failed to remote connect.

Is there any way i can check the slingbox is using the ip address i'm giving it in the setup stage and is on the right subnet and gateway?

Do i need to forward the port on TCP and UTP for it to work?
    Could the other ports i'm trying be blocked by eircom?

Thanks,
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you can connect to Slingbox via LAN from PC using Slingbox's LAN address, then the slingbox is working. That can't test the WAN IP of your DSL or the port forwarding.

The video streaming would use UDP, it may use TCP also. You can forward both. If TCP isn't needed that won't affect anything.

To connect remotely you do need to know the WAN IP of your DSL. That does change. See http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Scroll down to * Hot Spots * (Centred Title) and click on "Shields Up!"
    It will show you your IP (Mine was 89.234.80.77) in the body of the explination.

However the IP does change. You need to setup DynDNS on your router (if supported) or on PC if not to detect your current WAN IP and then create an account like enfant.shacknet.nu (free) at http://www.dyndns.com/ You then use to connect when not at home.

You need to be remote from home to test your portforwarding/ Slingbox.

Advertisement