Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aw come on man!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

got a DUI from sleeping in his truck one night after drinking keys were on the backseat with him as he slept. As you have the means to drive the vehicle whether you intend to or not is enough over there

That's retarded. I'm just as much in control of the vehicle when I'm in my bed asleep as in the back seat asleep.

I've heard a Garda say that if the keys are in the ignition you're in trouble. I know of one lad that got done because he was asleep with the keys in the igntion. He had no itention of driving and didn't even start the engine - just put them there out of habit. Starting the engine to warm yourself up is a big no-no.

Slept in the car once during the summer as a last resort. I wouldn't dream of it during the winter - you'd die of exposure...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Isn't there something about not having the keys on you or in the car meaning you are not "in charge" of the car?

Correct.

I'd love to test a case whereby you have the key, but not the immobiliser chip. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's retarded. I'm just as much in control of the vehicle when I'm in my bed asleep as in the back seat asleep....

LOL, is that the measure of how good your driving is :p:p ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

galwaytt wrote: »
    nope - key/no key, makes no difference.

how can you be in control of a motor vehicle if you cant turn the motor on??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 DAN_H

just pay the 40 euro and get over urself

<personal insult removed>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

maidhc wrote: »
    Correct.

I'd love to test a case whereby you have the key, but not the immobiliser chip. :D

It would be interesting. I'd guess the wording of the legislation is just something like "in charge of the ve-hicle" rather than any mention of keys or ignition or even the car being 'on'.

At the same time, not really worth taking a test case just for the sake of proving a small point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Responses here seem pretty typical of the high horse, holier than thou horse **** that gets posted by the boards motoring 'enthusiasts', but anyway -

I don't see why people are telling him he's lucky not to get done for drink driving - I'm not actually convinced the warden shouldn't have just left him alone.( Although he may not have even seen the chap inside )

Is it not better he slept in the back of the car than tried to drive it home? Are people giving him grief and calling him a moron for choosing to sleep in the car rather than a bed is that it ? Can someone explain the harm he was doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Is it not better he slept in the back of the car than tried to drive it home? Are people giving him grief and calling him a moron for choosing to sleep in the car rather than a bed is that it ? Can someone explain the harm he was doing ?

It isn't in his interest to do it, seriosly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Read this.

Dead guy gets parking ticket.

http://www.discussionforums.us/forum/odd-news/12214-dead-man-gets-parking-ticket.html

You Could have been dead also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Responses here seem pretty typical of the high horse, holier than thou horse **** that gets posted by the boards motoring 'enthusiasts', but anyway -

I don't see why people are telling him he's lucky not to get done for drink driving - I'm not actually convinced the warden shouldn't have just left him alone.( Although he may not have even seen the chap inside )

But he can't have it both ways. In his very first post, he contends he shouldn't have got a ticket because he was "in control" of the vehicle.

If he's in control of the vehicle, he's asleep at best, or drunk at worst, at the wheel. If he's not in control of the vehicle then he can't argue against the ticket.

Personally I think the warden should have just knocked on the window but maybe the warden's had bad experiences with drunks being rudely awakened. Or maybe the warden thought it safer to ticket him than to wake him up because he might drive off still drunk. Anyway it's not the parking warden's job to wake people up. He was parked where he shouldn't have been.

If the OP had just said "I got a ticket while asleep. The warden could have just woke me up instead of ticketing me." it would have been fair enough but he's trying to make out like he shouldn't legally have been ticketed because he was "in control" when clearly he wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How did you manage to actually get asleep?

I've tried it a few times and it's impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Holsten wrote: »
    How did you manage to actually get asleep?

I've tried it a few times and it's impossible!

More importantly how did you manage to sleep in an Urban area till 10:30am???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

the reason for it all was if you were driving and come up to a check point. lads were just stopping... the gardai would come over but the guy could say he wasent driving... then lads would throw away keys or eat the key to say they dont have them...

if your asleep if you get a cnut of a gard he could do ya... a sound one wouldent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

That's retarded. I'm just as much in control of the vehicle when I'm in my bed asleep as in the back seat asleep.

No your statement is more retarded. In your bed in your house you have less likely the urge while drunk to get up and go out and into to your car and drive. If you sleep in the car with your keys on you have a higher percentage of driving it somewhere. Besides these laws are most likely set to stop drunks pulling over after driving drunk and pretending they were "sleeping" and not driving.
    I've heard a Garda say that if the keys are in the ignition you're in trouble. I know of one lad that got done because he was asleep with the keys in the igntion. He had no itention of driving and didn't even start the engine - just put them there out of habit. Starting the engine to warm yourself up is a big no-no.

Whether you intend to or not you how does the cop know you havent been driving or dont intend to after he goes away??

See the problem here is that this is one of these things people will never agree on. But the simple matter of fact people do stupid things with drink on them whether they intend to or not. The fact you are in a vehicle and have the ability to stick the keys in the ignition and drive of you are still a danger to yourself and others. It might be a stupid law but if it is one here we got to abide by it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ah, sweet. I was wondering how many pages it'd go on til someone didn't say "Ah but it could have been worse."

If anyone knows Galway, it's Ballalley Lane, to the right of the Eyre Square Centre, is where the car was.
    I used the words "in control of the car" as that's how I presume the wardens would think, similar to the cops?
    I didn't have the keys in the ignition, I was sitting on them, but from what I presume would be the warden's pov, I was still in control of it. That's the only reason why I said it.

And most people may see this as a MASSIVE backtrack (I guess it does look that way though tbh) but when I said I'd been on the beer, I hadn't enough to be drunk the morning after, but I had been on a whole load of something else that I didn't really feel like announcing online, and that wouldn't have been picked up on a breathalyser the morning after, if you get me. So I was fine to drive home that morning, but not that night, and I did.

And I regularly sleep in the car, I have a sleeping bag in it, and a pair of eye cover things from an aeroplane, so I'm usually snug in there.

The main point of the post was I was trying to find out if yer man was justified in ticketing the car when I was in it, without trying to sound like people who post up "Just got caught speeding - how do I get out of it?"
    There you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I believethe OP has nothing to lose by appealing the parking ticket
    Appeal it on what basis?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not actually convinced the warden shouldn't have just left him alone.( Although he may not have even seen the chap inside )

That's actually a good point. The warden may not have even checked to see if there was someone asleep in the car. If it was me, I wouldn't have, purely cos I wouldn't expect to see someone asleep in a car in the middle of town. If I did see someone lying in the back of it, TBH I'd probably have called the Gardaí or an ambulance or something in case the person was sick or worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

how do you know he didn't knock on the window ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 misnomer

I know its a bit off topic but why sleep in the car in the first place? have you no friends to put you up for the night or how about a taxi home :confused:

Advertisement