Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of a Poem

Options
  • 03-11-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi, Sorry I cant find a poetry thread.

I remember doing a poem in secondary school which I havent been able to find out who it was by.

It contained the following lines....

"oh Einstein, Oppenheim you were right, the eagles have landed"

Does anyone have any idea. It would have been in the english text books in about 1991-1993.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drunkasskunk

Hello, was it either by sharon olds, elizabeth bishop- could it have been by paul durcan or roger mcgough

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

I was thinking along the same lines as Drunkasaskunk - thought it might be Roger McGough, but was probably thinking of this: http://noah.hearle.com/academic/english/icarusallsorts/

There is another poem that I am trying to think of, I thought it was called the Ballad of Enola Gay, or Hiroshima Something, or something similar, all about the effects of the bomb on Nagasaki or Hiroshima and the image that has stuck in my brain is of a japanese primary school teacher calling the names of her pupils who have been fried by the bomb. It is a long poem, and by a female author, and would fit the language used. It wasn't on the Leaving curriculum in the 90s, but was on the old Inter or maybe on the Junior Cert list. A bit vague, I know.

Don't know if this is any help - good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

randomguy wrote: »
    I was thinking along the same lines as Drunkasaskunk - thought it might be Roger McGough, but was probably thinking of this: http://noah.hearle.com/academic/english/icarusallsorts/

There is another poem that I am trying to think of, I thought it was called the Ballad of Enola Gay, or Hiroshima Something, or something similar, all about the effects of the bomb on Nagasaki or Hiroshima and the image that has stuck in my brain is of a japanese primary school teacher calling the names of her pupils who have been fried by the bomb. It is a long poem, and by a female author, and would fit the language used. It wasn't on the Leaving curriculum in the 90s, but was on the old Inter or maybe on the Junior Cert list. A bit vague, I know.

Don't know if this is any help - good luck with the search.

Yeah that sounds like it aswell. Its opened up a few more ideas on the name. thanks to you both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drunkasskunk

I'm still searching! further likelies: denise levertov, laurence ferlinghetti, masuji ibuse, norika takunda; now alison fell wrote 'august 6, 1945 - a similar poem to that mentioned by your other poster; there's also 'all fall down' by michael mayo and edwin muir's 'the horses'. ok. i'll keep looking for it.....!

Advertisement