Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

surprise question in the theory test

Options
  • 03-11-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I did the theory test today and noticed a question that I didn't remember being in the book or CD. It was one of the stopping distances, it was for 80km/hr on a dry road. I didn't think it had eighty. I'd love to check but I've given away the book already. I did get the question right as well as all the others. I knew I was going to pass I just wanted to do better than my brother, he got one wrong. He was also the first person I rang just to gloat.

I had a look through the book(theory test not rules of the road) and it's not in there! There's also a misprint on a question somewhere in the book(the picture is the wrong one)

Comments

How the hell?

How long did you spend studying the CD? Surely you couldn't know every question? :eek::confused:

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_stopping-distances-cars.html

Has the page from the book, it does have the distances for 80km/h for both wet and dry conditions.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

How the hell?

How long did you spend studying the CD? Surely you couldn't know every question?

My brother did he's in august, he was living with me at the time and I was asking him the questions. I bucked my test in the middle of september for November because I new for personal reasons I wasn't going be able to do it in October, I didn't even look through it that month I spent most of yesterday looking through it and before I want in I had just over an hour to look through the book so I skimmed it (and read all the questions in that hour)

But it in the book or cd?

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Orla K wrote: »
    My brother did he's in august, he was living with me at the time and I was asking him the questions. I bucked my test in the middle of september for November because I new for personal reasons I wasn't going be able to do it in October, I didn't even look through it that month I spent most of yesterday looking through it and before I want in I had just over an hour to look through the book so I skimmed it (and read all the questions in that hour)

But it in the book or cd?

Yes, its on page 95 of my book of the rules of the road.:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

Oh, it wasn't stopping distance it was the collide head on, the speed of impact

I've found it on the cd and I could only see 60 and 100km/hr

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Yes, its on page 95 of my book of the rules of the road.:)

not the rules of the road book the theory test book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

How the hell?

How long did you spend studying the CD? Surely you couldn't know every question? :eek::confused:

Oh yeah its possible, I done it too. But its extremely geeky and sad.

I actually studied for it like, read every question and only the correct answer.

Totally unrelated but......
    I really think the test is pointless tbh. For example upon completing my theory test, I knew the tread depth for tractors, but didnt even understand what tread depth meant, or why it was important. Also, I knew that to turn right on a dual carraigeway you had to move onto the median strip, bla bla bla... Didnt know what a dual carraigeway was and didnt know what a median strip is either!!

Now I know Im making myself out to be very dumb here, but my point is I think having to do the theory test should come after one or two lessons for some people (like me) who dont have a clue otherwise. When I started driving it was amazing the things I couldnt do in the car, but according to my theory test results I knew all this stuff inside out!!

However, well done OP and happy learning!!

peanuthead wrote: »
    Totally unrelated but......
    I really think the test is pointless tbh. For example upon completing my theory test, I knew the tread depth for tractors, but didnt even understand what tread depth meant, or why it was important. Also, I knew that to turn right on a dual carraigeway you had to move onto the median strip, bla bla bla... Didnt know what a dual carraigeway was and didnt know what a median strip is either!!

Now I know Im making myself out to be very dumb here, but my point is I think having to do the theory test should come after one or two lessons for some people (like me) who dont have a clue otherwise. When I started driving it was amazing the things I couldnt do in the car, but according to my theory test results I knew all this stuff inside out!!

Yeah i agree. Its a very, very pointless test. The only thing that bugs me is i dont have the patience to read through a couple of hundred questions and memorise the answers, but i dont want to fail because i dont know anyone that has failed it yet (and i dont want to be the first :pac:).

But i totally agree. Theory test should be packaged with the full driving test, and should be done after lessons.

I don't think I studied that much. I read out some of the questions for my brother in August, in september I decided to do the test myself and had about two weeks looking through it. In October I didn't even look at the front cover. I had planned on looking through it last week but someone died so I wasn't even at home that week. I looked at it alittle Sat but due to a hangover and a puppy that I was looking after that day I didn't do much so I had most of sunday and about an hour before the test.

The thing about the theory test it keeps really thick people from driving, which might be a good thing

The thing about the theory test it keeps really thick people from driving, which might be a good thing

It really doesn't. For the most part, its common sense. But its easy to fail if you get unlucky and a ton of really specific/technical questions appear on your test. Most people i know with full licenses dont know half the
    stuff thats asked on the theory test (i recently got my friend to do a theory test of the CD-Rom and he got 32 right) bit he is still a pretty decent driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

peanuthead wrote: »
    Also, I knew that to turn right on a dual carraigeway you had to move onto the median strip, bla bla bla... Didnt know what a dual carraigeway was and didnt know what a median strip is either!!

Do you know what they are now?

I ask because you didn't need to know then...you needed to show that you could recognise the terms and correctly reproduce the theory related to them. Its obviously stuck in your head...which is entirely part of the idea of the test.
    When I started driving it was amazing the things I couldnt do in the car, but according to my theory test results I knew all this stuff inside out!!
    No.

According to the theory test you knew the theory...which would mean that as you gained experience you'd be able to apply the correct theory into practice. The theory test is not intended to show that you understand the theory.

For example...once you started learning to drive on the dual carriageway, either you learned what the median strip was (and would then know "oh right...so thats where I go when turning right", or you were told to go somewhere to turn right (and you would then know what the median strip was).

Now, of course, its possible that someone learned to drive in some part of Ireland where there are no dual carriageways and even that they passed their test without ever going near one. This would leave them with an interesting choice to make. When they first are likely to encounter a dual carriageway, they could just go for it, knowing that they don't know what it is you're supposed to do...or they could ask someone / check on the internet to find out what a median strip is. So even here, the theory exam will have made sure that pretty much the only way someone could end up on a dual carriage without knowing how to turn right on it would be through their own wilful ignorance.

If that makes it useless in your eyes, then I guess what you're really saying is that the theory test can't save the roads from wilfully ignorant people. I agree...it can't.

It can, however, reduce the number of situations where people are unwittingly ignorant of what the right thing to do is, which is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I did the theory test today and noticed a question that I didn't remember being in the book or CD. It was one of the stopping distances, it was for 80km/hr on a dry road. I didn't think it had eighty. I'd love to check but I've given away the book already. I did get the question right as well as all the others. I knew I was going to pass I just wanted to do better than my brother, he got one wrong. He was also the first person I rang just to gloat.
    Everything on the CD and in the ROTR is liable to come up during the Theory test, you're expected to know or have a fair idea of the questions. TBH, it's a very easy test and mostly common sense.

yes it's easy, I passed without getting any wrong but I was asked a question that wasn't on the cd, I gave the book away so I can't check that. It was just odd when I saw the question nobody else seems to have noticed.

Advertisement