Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi - Navan

Options
  • 03-11-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

I'm disappointed to see Aldi has been refused planning permission for Navan Retail Park, its looking very doubtful that either Aldi/Lidl will make an appearance in Navan anytime soon.

I know some of the surroundings towns have either or both but it would be nice to have them in Navan too.

http://www.meath.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=NA802409&LASiteID=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

From what i hear Lidl / Aldi have applied in a couple of places, including where the Greyhound track is.
    They will come i'm sure of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I was told Lidl will be opening on the Trim Road near the petrol station some time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maithancailin

the whole planning thing is such a joke, only after a local councillor got a petition going did the people of Trim get LIDL, apparently the local SV had the council in a headlock with regards any other supermarket coming to the town.

Do a 30 min drive to Edenderry, and within a couple of hundred yards apart from each other you have ALDI, LIDL, TESCO & DUNNES, in bloody Edenderry, ¬:rolleyes: whats the story..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Aldi have permission on the Cavan Road in Kells, no sod turned yet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

AH FECK IT LADS!..... i want my Aldi minute steaks... and i want them now... (without having to drive to ashbourne everytime!!!)

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What other retail outlets are comin in around the town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

I see RGDATA made a submission against the planning. Its a bit odd that in meath there are so few Aldi and Lidl stores. You would wonder what is behind that?
    I mean Aldi and Lidl open similar stores in similar retail outlets in other counties under the SAME planning regulations but for some reason meath planners...........

I would like to know the grounds for the refusal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

DMC wrote: »
    Aldi have permission on the Cavan Road in Kells, no sod turned yet, though.

I was wondering about that. IT must be around a year since they got permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

apparently the local SV had the council in a headlock with regards any other supermarket coming to the town.

That manky one up near the old grey hound track? Who the hell would shop there anyway! :)

How could a supermarket have any influence over a councils decision for permission for another supermarket?
    They know they would be fecked with a little decent competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Brown Paper Envelope! thats how!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sid75

YES its on the way.. i seen with my own eyes builders working on the site 3 days ago,so it is coming relax!!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

Aldi have planning permission to buil a shop at the front of the O'Mahoneys the planning permission is up to read at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sid75

i wasn't talking about Aldi!! i was confirming that Lidl is been built on the trim road!! ALDI and Lidl are 2 different company's:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

any update on this?

will we get ALDI in TRIM soon ???/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

falabo wrote: »
    any update on this?

will we get ALDI in TRIM soon ???/

I really like Aldi but I kinda hope that it doesnt come to Trim.

We have Lidl already as well as supervalu. However I feel that we need to bring in businesses that will help to develop the centre of the town. There is an Aldi in Navan and Kells and people can go there every so often (like I do)

However I like also shopping in the shops in Trim itself and , I feel, that Aldi would reduce the footfall in town centre and this could effect the viability of the small shops.

Remember, when your local schools etc are fundraising many of the small shops still contribute. I know first hand that Lidl for example dont.

So, message to the planners, we are happy with Lidl but we dont need Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

I think aldi is more likely to take business from lidl than any of the small local businesses in the town, there isn't much option when it comes to groceries in the town. Plus there'd be jobs in it.

Advertisement