Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gears2 - worth getting a 360 for?

• 03-11-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Is gears2 worth investing in a 360 for (plus fable 2 maybe) if one has a ps3 for gaming already but no gaming pc. And does 60gig come with the optical out dongle now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its well worth your while purchasing an Xbox 360 now, there won't be a single boring second this christmas with the amount of quality games coming out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Yes yes yes yes yes. Gears 2 is g.o.t.y. material. Without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Gear may not be but Left 4 Dead IS a reason to buy one ASAP....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks. Had 1 before which rrod'd on me. That was around the time of halo3 so alot of games to catch up on. Does the elite make sense now considering i have 500gb on my ps3 for 720p media. Thinking the pro is a better buy but i have heard only the elite comes with an av adaptor which allows you to use hdmi and optical out to 5.1 decoder

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/gearsofwar2

Getting 100's all around nearly, 1up gave it a A and they are known to be quite accurate reviewers, for the price of 360s now, id say yes its worth getting one :) Also many good pre-owned games can be picked up these days cheap enough aswell

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thanks. Had 1 before which rrod'd on me. That was around the time of halo3 so alot of games to catch up on. Does the elite make sense now considering i have 500gb on my ps3 for 720p media. Thinking the pro is a better buy but i have heard only the elite comes with an av adaptor which allows you to use hdmi and optical out to 5.1 decoder

I think only the Elite comes with the dongle but I'm sure that you'd pick ones up on eBay. Wether it is worth buying one for Gears 2 well I'm not too sure many people here have played the game yet. Reviews are positive and I think the price of the 360 at the moment is undeniably good value.

am sold. tesco deal still on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

am sold. tesco deal still on?
    Nope, finished yesterday.

aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Apparently it's very similar to the first which I wasn't very impressed with at all!! Huge Meh! For me, plenty of other great games out there to get the 360 for, I've a PS3 and 360 and I use the 360 way more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yes yes yes yes yes. Gears 2 is g.o.t.y. material. Without a doubt.

have you played it?

its gears 1.5, not gears 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I just finished this game last night, and I really can't see how anyone could score this as a perfect 10, or even a 9 or an 8 :confused: It's a 7.5/10 for me.

The single player campaign is almost the exact same plot as the first game, i.e.
    get underground and detonate a bomb

The final boss, if you can even call it a boss, is absolutely ridiculous! I was literally sitting there in shock when the credits started to roll, thinking to myself "Did they really just end the game like that?"

Squad AI is pretty bad as well.
    They're supposed to be able to revive you, but rarely bother their arses even trying.
    Also, they seem to be fairly over-powered and will often end up taking down guys you've been throwing bullets into, which takes a bit of the fun out of the game for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, it is a good game, but that's all it is a 'good' game, not 'perfect'.

The graphical improvements are nice, although I feel the visual style they chose makes them almost unoticeable.

Some of the online/multiplayer stuff is cool. Hoard mode in particular can be a lot of fun.

The reviews that are coming out for it are either pure fanboyism or, the reviewers are bending to Microsofts monetary will. No doubt all these websites/magazines will have huge GOW2 ads for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

gloobag wrote: »
    The reviews that are coming out for it are either pure fanboyism or, the reviewers are bending to Microsofts monetary will. No doubt all these websites/magazines will have huge GOW2 ads for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

I think you're talking waffle there to be honest, your opinion is just that, it doesn't over ride every review covered by Metacritic as they're constantly good with no poor/average reviews like there normally would be for an 'ok' game.

And your point on Microsoft paying for good reviews is horse****e. The game is a major release and just like every other major release for any platform money will be paid of promotional purposes. How do you explain the t.v. advertisements ? I'm pretty sure none of the channels I've seen the ads on have any kind of games review programs.

Eurogamer currently have Guitar Hero World Tour, Gamespot have Trauma Centre for the Wii, IGN have Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS and 1Ups main ads are for Blitz II and The Witcher. So by your reasoning we can expect nothing but rave reivews for each of these games on the corresponding website ?

Jip wrote: »
    I think you're talking waffle there to be honest, your opinion is just that, it doesn't over ride every review covered by Metacritic as they're constantly good with no poor/average reviews like there normally would be for an 'ok' game.

And your point on Microsoft paying for good reviews is horse****e. The game is a major release and just like every other major release for any platform money will be paid of promotional purposes. How do you explain the t.v. advertisements ? I'm pretty sure none of the channels I've seen the ads on have any kind of games review programs.

Eurogamer currently have Guitar Hero World Tour, Gamespot have Trauma Centre for the Wii, IGN have Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS and 1Ups main ads are for Blitz II and The Witcher. So by your reasoning we can expect nothing but rave reivews for each of these games on the corresponding website ?

Total fanboy :D

Oh how I laughed, I knew immediately this would be your response but I thought you'd at least try to pad it out with some form of argument but alas no, it's above your comprehension. If you understood my post you would realise it was not in defense of the actual game play but was a challenge on your opinion that the reviews are only positive at the behest of Microsoft and their cash.

If you read my initial post in the reviews thread you'd know I wasn't a 'fanboy', which seems to be a term bandied about now against someone who doesn't agree with what you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

Guitar Hero: World Tour was plastered all over IGN for the weeks leading up to it and didn't fare quite so well. Same goes for Saints Row 2. Those "huge ads" have no impact whatsoever.

Jip wrote: »
    Oh how I laughed, I knew immediately this would be your response but I thought you'd at least try to pad it out with some form of argument but alas no, it's above your comprehension. If you understood my post you would realise it was not in defense of the actual game play but was a challenge on your opinion that the reviews are only positive at the behest of Microsoft and their cash.

If you read my initial post in the reviews thread you'd know I wasn't a 'fanboy', which seems to be a term bandied about now against someone who doesn't agree with what you say.

Wow, you sure showed me! Give yourself a pat on the back while I go think about what a bad boy I've been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

can anyone tell me if you can use a keyboard and mouse with gow2?

im a pc man but i do have a xbox360 getherin dust, wouldnt mind this if its keyboard compatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I havent played it yet but really cant wait. Loved the campaign in 1 and really looking forward to the new longer one along with Horde. Wasnt a huge fan of the MP but hopefully will get into this one more. I read through the IGN review yesterday and had seen the vides on Youtube regarding the final boss so reading the disappoinment with it here doesnt surprise me but I know the game as a whole wont let me down and I will regard it as a 9 for sure.

Afterall, it really is a matter of taste and opinion. GTA IV was hailed as the greatest game ever and received 10/10 almost everywhere but I sold mine after 5 days as I absolutely hated it. I also have no intention of buying Fable or Fallout as I just know I wont like them but yet plenty of people here love them.

• Advertisement

Still showing a basic lack of comprehension, I never said you were a bad boy, I looked for a decent debate from you, not childish comebacks.

Last post on this with you as it's both off topic and you're not going to give any sort of productive response, what is it they say about never arguing with a fool ?

Anyone know if there will be GOW2 bundle deals going on Friday ? I'll probably get the 360/Gears along with Gears1 (as I want to replay it), Fable2 and Fallout3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sure will be. Its one fo the official bundles that will be on sale this Winter:

Available November 7th:
    Xbox 360 Pro with Gears of War 2 - EUR269.00

I just finished this game last night, and I really can't see how anyone could score this as a perfect 10, or even a 9 or an 8 :confused: It's a 7.5/10 for me.

The single player campaign is almost the exact same plot as the first game, i.e.
    get underground and detonate a bomb

The final boss, if you can even call it a boss, is absolutely ridiculous! I was literally sitting there in shock when the credits started to roll, thinking to myself "Did they really just end the game like that?"

Squad AI is pretty bad as well.
    They're supposed to be able to revive you, but rarely bother their arses even trying.
    Also, they seem to be fairly over-powered and will often end up taking down guys you've been throwing bullets into, which takes a bit of the fun out of the game for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, it is a good game, but that's all it is a 'good' game, not 'perfect'.

The graphical improvements are nice, although I feel the visual style they chose makes them almost unoticeable.

Some of the online/multiplayer stuff is cool. Hoard mode in particular can be a lot of fun.

exactly how i feel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What difficulty did you play the game on? As far as I know theres

1: Players who haven't pladed a shooter before.
    2: Players who have.
    3: Hard.
    4: Insane (needs to be unlocked).

What difficulty did you play the game on? As far as I know theres

1: Players who haven't pladed a shooter before.
    2: Players who have.
    3: Hard.
    4: Insane (needs to be unlocked).

Played it on Hard myself.

The final boss battle basically consists of
    you in a chopper circling a huge brumak that's been mutated by emulsion. You're hanging out the side of the chopper with a 'Hammer Of Dawn' (which only appears twice in the whole game :mad:). I'd say it lasted all of 15 seconds of the 'Hammer Of Dawn' ploughing into this thing before it was over.
    I wouldn't even call it a boss battle, it's more like an interactive cut-scene.

It's a reall shame that they ended it this way, coz the last level as a whole was actually pretty strong compared to the rest of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

What would you rate Gears 1 at as a comparison?

EDIT - And while I'm at it - Halo3, LittleBigPlanet, Bioshock or GTAIV if you've played any of them.
    I'm not being snide, really am interested.

Certain games seem to bring out the hate in some gamers.

A-Trak wrote: »
    What would you rate Gears 1 at as a comparison?

i found gears 1 better for some reason maybe i didnt really expect much compared to gow2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is gears2 worth investing in a 360 for (plus fable 2 maybe) if one has a ps3 for gaming already but no gaming pc. And does 60gig come with the optical out dongle now?

getting back to the question, i forked out €450+ after a 30 minute stint on the first gears and still rate it as one of the best impulse buys i've embarked on. 2 years and 1 rrod later and i'm still well happy with the purchase. Now you could pick a 360 with gears 2 for about €200+, i would categorically advise that you take a trip down gamestop way

• Advertisement

probably will this friday. hope they are less noisy than the launch 360's though all i will be using it for is games. ps3 for games, dvd, divx etc.

Advertisement