Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WSOP ME Final Table *****SPOILERS IN HERE******

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

what about Schwarz's fold with the K high flush against Demidov? superb. think he was playing 36 million and he folds to a 4 million bet on the river with about 8-10 million in the pot. i think most people go broke in that hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

a147pro wrote: »
    what about Schwarz's fold with the K high flush against Demidov? superb. think he was playing 36 million and he folds to a 4 million bet on the river with about 8-10 million in the pot. i think most people go broke in that hand.

Should at least call the 4 million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I watched this last night. Eastgate ran so sick hot it was unreal but thats what it takes to win these things. I thought Demidov made a decent enough fold with K7 when Eastgate rivered trip 3s.

When it was all over it was really strange I thought, no emotion from either player at all really. It was just like it was the end of any other hand at the final table.

Also what on earth took Eastgate so long to throw over 5s full of Ks when he got bluffed on, should have been a snap call I think. I don't think he was slowrolling or anything but there wasn't to much to think about.

It's funny as well the way some of these guys look to be such donks with their plays when they get called and have nothing. I thought some of Philips play was really poor but then again we only see select hands.

Also that Canadian guy Montgomery is one weird dude, he would really creep me out if I was at a table with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mongomery really freaked me out as well. I think Eastgate was embarrassed that he hit the 5 to make his house, I think he would have folded is any other card came out.

Should at least call the 4 million

this is my point, very difficult, correct and contra-best practice fold to save himself 4 mill

thought Eastgate's restraint, throughout the tournament, was a very refreshing alternative to the usual antics, all the more impressive for a 22 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

this is my point, very difficult, correct and contra-best practice fold to save himself 4 mill.

I haven't seen the hand or coverage (and probably won't) but it sounds like he played it terribly to me. Just because they guy actually had the nuts doesn't mena it was the right fold unless there is a load of other detail I didn't get from reading these couple of posts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

5starpool wrote: »
    I haven't seen the hand or coverage (and probably won't) but it sounds like he played it terribly to me. Just because they guy actually had the nuts doesn't mena it was the right fold unless there is a load of other detail I didn't get from reading these couple of posts about it.

I for one wasn't a huge fan of it. I think I would have called the 4 million without a doubt, especially considering he had 30+ million behind. It was the third nuts after all and he was willing to get rid of the rest of his chips on a bluff with Ace high on the river.

5starpool wrote: »

Scwhartz has K10 with the K of hearts. Demdov has Ax with the A of hearts.
    Flop comes three hearts. I think there's a check by Schwartz, small bet by Demidov and a flat call. Turn comes another heart giving S the second nuts, D the nuts (excepting J8 of hearts for the str8 flush). S checks, D bets smallish amount, about 2.75 mill. S. flat calls.

I think you can certainly say that S's failure to raise at any point up to here may be bad play, but thats entirely arguable and situation contingent.

River pairs the board. S again checks, D bets about 4 million. S folds after a short (on the TV anyway) dwell.

Clearly he should have called as it was only another 4 million and he'll usually be in great shape against D who is very aggressive. S knows this as he's a good player. He folds because his read is that its not even worth calling 4 mill as he's behind. His read is correct and its a very good fold.

He's not folding because, MUTBS, 'he could have the ace, he could have the boat', because he must know that way more often than not D doesn't, so as to make the call profitable in the long run. He clearly knows this and folds on the basis of his read. The ability to go with your read in a situation like that, where the action is non-standard is the mark of a good player, obv depending on how correct your read is. I don't think he does this often at all (he says himself 'this is either really bad or really good'), which insulates him from making a bad fold on other occasions.

just my thoughts, and on the basis of his subsequent dogging by Philips (QQ v AQ) it seems S might have been a contender. haven't seen his exit hand yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

^ your flop and turn action is wrong afaik. Flop was check/check I think, and Demidov raised the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Clearly he should have called as it was only another 4 million and he'll usually be in great shape against D who is very aggressive. S knows this as he's a good player. He folds because his read is that its not even worth calling 4 mill as he's behind. His read is correct and its a very good fold.

He's not folding because, MUTBS, 'he could have the ace, he could have the boat', because he must know that way more often than not D doesn't, so as to make the call profitable in the long run. He clearly knows this and folds on the basis of his read. The ability to go with your read in a situation like that, where the action is non-standard is the mark of a good player, obv depending on how correct your read is. I don't think he does this often at all (he says himself 'this is either really bad or really good'), which insulates him from making a bad fold on other occasions.

Haven't watched any of this yet, but if it's as you describe, it's a terrible fold. Demidov can't have a house, could be value betting with any high heart or it could be a cheap bluff. Basically it's at least a call unless you can see Demidov's cards.

Edit: Actually its pretty hard to put an ace in his hand also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

That's wrong. Demidov had Ah10x and Scwartz had KhQd for tp and fd on the flop.

Wreck wrote: »
    Haven't watched any of this yet, but if it's as you describe, it's a terrible fold. Demidov can't have a house, could be value betting with any high heart or it could be a cheap bluff. Basically it's at least a call unless you can see Demidov's cards.

yes, so why did he fold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Was there a raise preflop?
    yes, so why did he fold?

I've no idea but some posibilites include: he is a massive fish, he sucks at hand reading , he sucks at maths or he just made a mistake. Your missing the point though, it doesn't matter what cards his opponent has, folding in this spot if the hand was played out as you described is technically incorrect (the best kind of incorrect).

Was there a raise preflop?

I've no idea but some posibilites include: he is a massive fish, he sucks at hand reading , he sucks at maths or he just made a mistake. Your missing the point though, it doesn't matter what cards his opponent has, folding in this spot if the hand was played out as you described is technically incorrect (the best kind of incorrect).

yeah Demidov made a standard raise. S called. As pointed out above he held KQ (the K10 as a different hand where S called against Ds AK and hit a K10 flop).

I actually think we agree on this, it was a technically incorrect fold, I just don't think any of your explanations of his folds are correct. I think he knew, correctly, that he was behind.

if the hand was played out as you described is technically incorrect (the best kind of incorrect).

I would like to approve this sentence:D

This is the hand, it starts at 4:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Hawk Eye

Clareman wrote: »
    Mongomery really freaked me out as well. I think Eastgate was embarrassed that he hit the 5 to make his house, I think he would have folded is any other card came out.

he would have folded to the check raise bluff? he wouldn't have bet the river if it was any other card.

I would like to approve this sentence:D

This is the hand, it starts at 4:40

jebus my memory is appalling

anyway the commentators agree with me so i must be right....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

My God thats sick.

"If Denmark winds up with Eastgate’s tax dollars, Eastgate will get to keep only $2,491,871 of the $9.1 million paid to first."

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

That tax is so so sick.

Advertisement