Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehoming shelter?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good animal rehoming shelter in the Cavan/Fermanagh region or within travelling distance?

I posted a thread before the summer about my family's dog chasing neighbours hens and took on board the advice given by members.

Things were fine until recently, he was better-trained and stimulated and wore a canvas muzzle when roaming around outside. Also he seemed to have settled down as he grew up.

Then last week, after showing no interest in going near the hens for months, he caught and killed 2- while wearing the muzzle!

My family are not equipped to deal with him, I unfortunately don't live there and can't have pets in my flat so taking him is not an option, so we have reluctantly decided he would be better off elsewhere with people who have more time to spend training him.

The USPCA won't take him as he is not sick or injured and only recommended calling the dog warden- which we won't do for obvious reasons. He is a lovely dog, very clever, great with children, still young enough to be well-trained by anyone who has the time - but just not suited to being around more vulnerable animals. He is a hunter by nature (Jack Russell).

Can anyone recommend somewhere we could send him to be rehomed? It would be sad to see him go but I would be much happier knowing he was going to a good home where he would be safe- we're afraid that if he gets a reputation for being a killer that one of the local farmers will shoot him. We're prepared to pay expenses/ a donation for knowing he will be rehomed.

Comments

Advertisement