Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most depressing street/area to walk down in the city?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I've got to say that while trying to park in Colbert Station today and finding out that the fcuking car park fee had gone up by 1 euro to 4 euro (you have to have the coins ready, which I didn't) I decided to drive up back Edward st. and parked by that soccer pitch by the army barracks, it's just outside the parking disc zone and there was quite a few cars parked there (which I noted earlier as I drove into town) so, as the day being of beautiful weather and in need of a bit of walking excercise i parked up there and proceeded to head for my destination(Patrick st.) by going straight down through Edward St., train station area.. Parnell st., and up to the William St. junction and down to O'Connell St. Well i've got to say it was the most depressing, intimidating experience i've had in a while. Wino's, scumbags, people with drawn pale faces, dirty buildings, cheap shoddy shopfronts, beggars, hoodie types etc. I vote it probably among the most depressing Town/ City areas that I've ever had the misfortune of walking down and BTW I've seen quite a few in the world. Anyone any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

oh don't get me started. it might be shorter to tell you what parts i like: cruises st. and thomas st/bedford row.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mallow Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

upper catherine street.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

ninty9er wrote: »
    Mallow Street.

Yea, forgot to mention, that as walkin back to my car, this was another group 1 $hithole of an area, felt like i was in some sort of a zombie zone. loads of asians with their kids looking like, so depressed, one kid was fighting with another and i had to step aside at one stage to avoif getting stood on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

the entire city perhaps???

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    upper catherine street.

Yes, and this place is notorius for crime, and did I see one Garda anywhere here? Nooo,Noooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pretty much all the area the op mentioned, the train station and surrounding streets are one horrible looking place,terrible first impression of the city if thats your first view of it

futura123 wrote: »
    the entire city perhaps???

No, you see thats not what I mean at all. Limerick Cityis a fine beautiful city, plenty of faboulous ares that anyone would love to live and work in. It's just that certain ares have been left to neglect and without proper Garda presence. And why is that drunk lady opposite the train station with a cider can in her hand still allowed to harrass people every day???

brousuka wrote: »
    No, you see thats not what I mean at all. Limerick Cityis a fine beautiful city, plenty of faboulous ares that anyone would love to live and work in. It's just that certain ares have been left to neglect and without proper Garda presence.

The entire city has no proper Garda prescence, walking home from Icon Halloween night I didnt see one cop, not one single patrolling guard, now maybe theres plain clothes ones in unmarked cars but there should be a cop or two stood outside every major club in the city on nights like this, saw a fight outside it and it was on the 2 guys fighting mates to step in and end it, I live right in the city centre on a main street and literally see fights every weekend from my bedroom window and never have i seen someone arrested

krudler wrote: »
    The entire city has no proper Garda prescence, walking home from Icon Halloween night I didnt see one cop, not one single patrolling guard, now maybe theres plain clothes ones in unmarked cars but there should be a cop or two stood outside every major club in the city on nights like this, saw a fight outside it and it was on the 2 guys fighting mates to step in and end it, I live right in the city centre on a main street and literally see fights every weekend from my bedroom window and never have i seen someone arrested

Fair comment. It's a disgrace that in a so called major Irish city that there is no strong foot patrol Garda presence, especially at weekends. I go to town quite a bit and I've got to agree i don't hardly see any police anywhere on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

nicholas street.

tourist attraction?? HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Most of the city looks quite well nowadays thank God, but take your pick amongst these for the next most needed facelift:

Davis St.
    Parnell St.
    Nicholas St.
    Mungret St.
    Wickham St.

That route the OP took is a pretty bad impression of the town. Unfortunately it is a key route and includes Colbert station, the portal for so many visitors to the city. Council don't take any cognisance of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

yeah, around the station is not the best impression of town at all. lots of shams and winos around...
    another place, is down behind the roundhouse, there's a few small backstreets there. kips.
    I always thought upper william street had the craziest folk gathered there, between townies and culchies and oddballs...

I must say, that when I was abroad and came back, and happened to be in upper william street, it initially made me think, "what the heck am I doing back here", but that's another story, Limerick ain't the problem , lol...
    On a side note, I've noted, maybe it's just me, that going out here isn't half as good as it was...or am I just getting old....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

There was a strong Garda presence last Friday night in the Sin Bin. They were at the bar though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

brousuka wrote: »
    Well i've got to say it was the most depressing, intimidating experience i've had in a while. Wino's, scumbags, people with drawn pale faces, dirty buildings, cheap shoddy shopfronts, beggars, hoodie types etc. I vote it probably among the most depressing Town/ City areas that I've ever had the misfortune of walking down and BTW I've seen quite a few in the world. Anyone any comments?

Welcome to Limerick! Please dont feed the animals.

You should take a walk through Glenagross take the scenic route..

I guess you have never been to New York, London, Dublin, Manchester, Glasgow, L.A., Rio, Mexico City I could go on!! These are real cities with real BAD areas..

Next time if your gonna whinge so much about walking through Limerick pay the extra ****ing € for the carpark cheapskate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Quite a bit of the city centre is drab and depressing, imo. At least Catherine st. is being done up and there's plans to knock the 3 storey houses beside the station. Streets in need of a big revamp are, imo:

Nicholas Street
    Broad St./John St.
    Mungret St (?, near the market going towards John's Street)
    Gerald Griffen St, Parnell St.
    William St.
    Cecil St.
    Mallow St.

All of those streets are in dire condition and add nothing but gloom to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Stab*City wrote: »
    I guess you have never been to New York, London, Dublin, Manchester, Glasgow, L.A., Rio, Mexico City I could go on!! These are real cities with real BAD areas..

Does e.g. London have an equivalents in it's city centre (!) like Upper
    William St or Catherine St or Patrick St.. I'm not talking about comparing suburbs!

Welcome to Limerick! Please dont feed the animals.

You should take a walk through Glenagross take the scenic route..

Next time if your gonna whinge so much about walking through Limerick pay the extra ****ing € for the carpark cheapskate!

Typical Limerick attitude tbh, theres plenty wrong with this city, especially the first impression you get coming out of the train station, if your not avoiding stepping on winos have you have Annie screaming abuse at you walking down Parnell St, are people not allowed give an honest opinion of the city anymore? I've lived here my whole life and the place is a dump in parts for a supposed major city, plenty of new refurbishments that are making the place nicer to walk around but that whole area the OP described is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Does e.g. London have an equivalents in it's city centre (!) like Upper
    William St or Catherine St or Patrick St.. I'm not talking about comparing suburbs!

London? Oh for sure!

Hoxton - Brick Lane - Bethnal Green - Elephant and Castle. etc etc.

Sunnyside, Queens over in NY. Harlem in NY - now there is a dump.

All the same though -no excuse for us. We are smaller and therefore should be more managable. Who owns those rundown properties, for instance the carpet place on Mungret St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

I think the real problem is no-one feels particularly safe walking anywhere around the inner city at night. Not that we're going around in packs looking over our shoulders, but you know what I mean. Definitely think that increasing the visible presence of garda foot patrols would make everyone a lot happier and basically eliminate the intimidating "corner-boys" type of situation.
    I cycle round town a fair bit in the evenings and I have to say it's a really nice way to get around. There's obviously nice spots like Pery Square but even the darker streets like Parnell and William St. are actually OK. Then again I remember them from 30 years ago so I don't think I'd like them to change TOO much.

As far as the look of the city goes, thankfully we're in a recession so we might actually start considering improving rather than replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Quite a bit of the city centre is drab and depressing, imo. At least Catherine st. is being done up and there's plans to knock the 3 storey houses beside the station. Streets in need of a big revamp are, imo:

Nicholas Street
    Broad St./John St.
    Mungret St (?, near the market going towards John's Street)
    Gerald Griffen St, Parnell St.
    William St.
    Cecil St.
    Mallow St.

All of those streets are in dire condition and add nothing but gloom to the city.
    Realy sorry it does not meet your standard i happened to grow up beside the railway and its a very hospitable area!
    My parents still live in an own one of those 3 story houses and we will see if they are being knocked any time soon!
    Ye seem to take for granted the people that live in these areas who are happy with there surroundings even if they dont meet a few blow ins approval!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its not anything personal with the people living there punto, its the whole anti-social aspect of the area; bars on windows, winos, litter, discarded bonfires on the green, the whole place just needs a facelift to inject a bit of pride into the area.

O.K. a$$hole.....I didn't have the extra 1 euro coin handy on my person or in my car to put in the fcucking machine (which you have to do as you enter) which is another fcuck up about that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

William st is a commercial thoroughfare and yet it's the biggest dump, IMO. It's run a close second by Upper Catherine St. There are quite a few buildings on this street that have sold signs up on them over a year, yet they are just left there decaying.
    Patrick St was once a pleasant street but that now also is a complete eyesore. Of course that's to facilitate the opera centre, whenever it eventually starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Realy sorry it does not meet your standard i happened to grow up beside the railway and its a very hospitable area!
    My parents still live in an own one of those 3 story houses and we will see if they are being knocked any time soon!
    Ye seem to take for granted the people that live in these areas who are happy with there surroundings even if they dont meet a few blow ins approval!

Where did I say I felt it was the fault of the residents? I've no issue with any of the residents of the above streets, but those houses are ugly and drab and are a bad introduction to the city.

Afaik, the houses have to be knocked due to concerns over fire hazards, perhaps I'm mistaken. feel free to clarify.

My own family are originally from Catherine street, doesn't prevent me from accurately seeing that improvements are badly needed to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Walk up William Street from O'Connell Street (afternoon is best for this, especilly on a Saturday). As you walk the lower part up to the bus stops look at the people around you. Walk past the bus stops and have another look. It's like you walked through a skanger warp.
    Lower half of street, mostly decent people going about their business.
    Upper half, knackersville.
    Anybody else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

rstans wrote: »
    Walk up William Street from O'Connell Street (afternoon is best for this, especilly on a Saturday). As you walk the lower part up to the bus stops look at the people around you. Walk past the bus stops and hane another look. It's like you walked through a skanger warp.
    Lower half of street, mostly decent people going about their business.
    Upper half, knackersville.
    Anybody else notice this?
    There's always a load of skanks hanging round the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The scobes do like their chips and battered sausages from the Golden Grill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

bazz26 wrote: »
    The scobes do like their chips and battered sausages from the Golden Grill though.

it's the bus stop for south hill, that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Hospitable area? Maybe if you are a begging wino perhaps.

Advertisement