Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most depressing street/area to walk down in the city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

zuroph wrote: »
    seriously, stop twisting my words.

there is traffic in the city yes. but there is a lot less trucks than there used to be, and any truck driver that can avoids it. with the obvious exception of william st.

go in and stand on o connell st for a day, i think ul be surprised how few trucks pass through there now, in comparison to a few years ago.
    reasons:
    link roads in corbally.
    outer ring road semi-completed.
    links at groody to new ring road.

They wish to reduce traffic in city centre yes, but thats not got to do with haulage, haulage has no need to pass through city centre in its current state.

I live just off O'Connell St, and pass it 3/4 times a day.
    THe traffic is less than it used to be, and will be less again, once the Shunnell is complete.
    That is all I said.
    Nothing can be done untill the Shunnel is complete first.
    That completes the link road, and takes a lot of trafic out of the city.

A lot of the traffic that does come past it is still intercity traffic, and haulage trucks.
    Not as much as 5 years ago, but there'll be less again in 5 years due to the Shunnell.
    (Well there'll definately be less on O'Connell st, seeing as it'll be pedestrianised!:P)

This is all besides the point however, and I think we basically agree with each other anyway.

The point is that all of this has to be completed before the plans can be finalised for Parnell St/Mallow St can be worked on.
    But it will be done, and a lot, lot, sooner than 20 years!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

From town to thomand park is depressing. this is the main attraction in Limerick now so around thomand park there should shops and statues and things everywhere. Mayorstone and that school and balla should be done up. there are loads of foreigners that will be coming over and all they will see is this gorgeous new stadium in the middle of a slum.

I've always said that they should do more with the route to Thomond park.
    There is so much potential.

Think of a planned walk starting on the corner of Bedford Row/O'Connell St.
    Every pont would be mapped out, with markers, more prominent than the ones currently used.
    Visitors could start the journey there.
    You've got the shopping epicenter and the Richard Harris statue.
    You cross Shannon Bridge, and down along the new Clancy Strand.
    You pass the treaty stone, and have great views of Curraghougher falls and King Johns Castle.
    Past Munchins church and then out the road to Thomond.
    Something would be needed for here, some new statue or attraction.
    Then once you crest the hill before Hassets Cross, you have the amazing views of Thomond, with all the colour and noise of match day.
    After the match they could follow the same route back, but crossing Thomond bridge so you go right past King Johns Castle, down Nicholas St past St Mary's Cathederal, and then back into town, passing the new Opera center (maybe!:p).

You're incorporating nearly every major tourist attraction into one route, and "The Thomond Walk" could become as well known as the Wembly Way in London.
    It'd be a great attraction, even if tourists aren't going to a game.
    Best of all, it would cost next to nothing, as 90% is already in place.
    All you'd need is one attraction out past Munchins Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

isnt the thomond walk planned? pretty sure i read of it.

also, just stir controversy, i return the proposal from on here a number of years ago for a statue of dodo reddan somewhere along the walk :D

also, just stir controversy, i return the proposal from on here a number of years ago for a statue of dodo reddan somewhere along the walk :D

I don't think it's planned, I think some councilor mentioned it once.

It was kind of funny, cause we had a thread here talking about possible ways to increase tourism.
    I mentioned the "walk" idea and less than a week later, there was an article in the leader about the proposal from some councilor!
    I remember a few half serious guesses about whether it was me!:D

• Advertisement

I've always said that they should do more with the route to Thomond park.
    There is so much potential.

Think of a planned walk starting on the corner of Bedford Row/O'Connell St.
    Every pont would be mapped out, with markers, more prominent than the ones currently used.
    Visitors could start the journey there.
    You've got the shopping epicenter and the Richard Harris statue.
    You cross Shannon Bridge, and down along the new Clancy Strand.
    You pass the treaty stone, and have great views of Curraghougher falls and King Johns Castle.
    Past Munchins church and then out the road to Thomond.
    Something would be needed for here, some new statue or attraction.
    Then once you crest the hill before Hassets Cross, you have the amazing views of Thomond, with all the colour and noise of match day.
    After the match they could follow the same route back, but crossing Thomond bridge so you go right past King Johns Castle, down Nicholas St past St Mary's Cathederal, and then back into town, passing the new Opera center (maybe!:p).

You're incorporating nearly every major tourist attraction into one route, and "The Thomond Walk" could become as well known as the Wembly Way in London.
    It'd be a great attraction, even if tourists aren't going to a game.
    Best of all, it would cost next to nothing, as 90% is already in place.
    All you'd need is one attraction out past Munchins Church.
    This would be brilliant. would make the city more vibrant. its a great idea.

sure everything is lifted off boards, newspapers and tv reports especially.

i could swear it was said that the whole road from munchins on will be dripping in flags etc.

Personally I think the dodo reddan statue would be a great laugh, but it would get vandalised to hell by scum out there.

The flags are planned alright, but I think they're waiting for the work on William St.
    There will be flag poles all along the South side of the road, and som on O'Connell St too.
    I think the plan is to buy all the poles at once to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Karmafaerie,
    That walk is a brilliant.
    Regarding your earlier posts on the economy, while I do not agree with everything you said, I hope you won't let the negative criticism stop you from posting informed and well thought out argument.
    Life would be boring if everyone agreed with me.
    A better World but maybe boring.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Even years after walking to college every day, the road from ballincurra weston to clare st. still leads as the most depressing streets to walk let alone the fact it rained every day in Limerick!!
    The high light of the walk was the strange 70's styles shops in gerald griffin st.

Karmafaerie,
    That walk is a brilliant.
    Regarding your earlier posts on the economy, while I do not agree with everything you said, I hope you won't let the negative criticism stop you from posting informed and well thought out argument.
    Life would be boring if everyone agreed with me.
    A better World but maybe boring.:p

I'm seriously thinking of making up on online petition for it.
    I have some free webspace lying around, and can't think of a better way to use it.

And don't worry man, I don't take anything personally.
    And I'd hate it if everyone agreed with me!
    What would I do in work if I didn't have paragraph after paragraph to type!:p

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Even years after walking to college every day, the road from ballincurra weston to clare st. still leads as the most depressing streets to walk let alone the fact it rained every day in Limerick!!
    The high light of the walk was the strange 70's styles shops in gerald griffin st.

I used to work on that street, and some of those shops are right out of The League Of Gentlemen!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Just back from Central London on Sunday night and after driving from Dublin airport to Limerick City via Parnell St/Davis St.. guess what I see? as stated in my original post... 3 to 4 scanger winos at the corner with cider cans in their hand harrassing passers by, i mean WTF. I walked on my own in Trafalgar Square at 4am on that Sunday morning and not 1 scobe or bit of hassle ANYWHERE. It is an offence to openly drink on the streets, just arrest the b@stards, take them off the street and lock them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

OMG....blast from the past.....wasn't that the old lady with the shopping trolley full of dogs :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do you know what depresses me more than anything.

Its the guy who follows me around Limerick. Everybody has seen him.

The mentally challenged(I presume) guy with the umbrella and Tesco shopping bag. You can see him anyplace in the city centre and as far as Superquinn and Raheen Ind Estate. He is hopping on and off bus's.

Rather like that large gentleman who used to travel the bus's years ago.

How about a statue of that guy who kept the goats by the ducks at the end of the Mill Road.

On Voting the most depressing street in Limerick. It must be Star Court in Carew Park Limerick. I unfortunately lived there(by choice LOL) for 3 years. The quiet/posh area of Southill as Des Bishop would call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The mentally challenged(I presume) guy with the umbrella and Tesco shopping bag. You can see him anyplace in the city centre and as far as Superquinn and Raheen Ind Estate. He is hopping on and off bus's.
    Ha, there's one or two others of a similar ilk around town.

What is even more depressing is a lot more streets are now crammed with beggars and not even good old Irish beggars. Those poor lads cannot get a look in with these people sitting around the streets with their hand out.

Cruises St is also depressing for the risk of running into a student looking for you to sign your hard earned wages away on some other needy third world cause.

OMG....blast from the past.....wasn't that the old lady with the shopping trolley full of dogs :confused:
    yip thats her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Moon

How about a statue of that guy who kept the goats by the ducks at the end of the Mill Road.

His name was willy three toes!! He used to carry a massive stick and cycle everywhere on an old bike! He was featured in the "I'm from Limerick" campaign a few years back..

• Advertisement

Well said. but I think the guards are mainly....... Just havin a cup of tea

Do you know what depresses me more than anything.

Its the guy who follows me around Limerick. Everybody has seen him.

Yea. Often walking around with a milk carton talkin away to himself. Talkin beans to the bus drivers.
    I heard when he was younger, his mates locked him in a little shed and forgot about him. He was let out the next day and went a bit crazy. I don't know if that's true though.

TheLoc wrote: »
    Yea. Often walking around with a milk carton talkin away to himself. Talkin beans to the bus drivers.
    I heard when he was younger, his mates locked him in a little shed and forgot about him. He was let out the next day and went a bit crazy. I don't know if that's true though.

Look at him closely the next time. His hair is always cut and combed/brushed. His clothes are always clean(looking) and ironed. He is always neat looking.

Shame he also appears rather mad looking swinging his umbrella up and down the road. He talks to taxi drivers and bus drivers.

Maybe he is a reincarnated thinner version of Francis who used to ride the bus's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think his name is Gerry... :D

We used always beep him when driving around instead of being in college.

he is proper nuts!
    Although there is another slightly weird lady whom we call the fag lady cos she is always smoking, she normally cycles out around dooradoyle!

Although there is another slightly weird lady whom we call the fag lady cos she is always smoking, she normally cycles out around dooradoyle!

Thats my mother. LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I think i know who you mean. The one with the pink helmet? But i suppose it's not PC here to make a comment on her...

i wish we had someone like Galways's own Seamus.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862157&highlight=knacker+dwarf

he seems to be highly entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Thats my mother.
    Sorry to hear that.

There's nothing wrong with Jerry.
    He was never "locked in a shed", and he doesn't go swinging an umbrella around.
    He walks wih one, which makes a lot of sense seeing as we live in Limerick.
    The guy has a few mental issues, but he's for the most part an ordinary guy.
    He has an invalidity bus pass, and as I'm sure he's fairly lonely, spends his days traveling the buses, talking to the drivers.

And Q-F, I'm sure you're really interesting and all, and I hate to burst your bubble, but he's not following you.;)

And Willie three toes isn't dead or anything.
    No need for the talking in the past tense.

Im aware that man is mentally challenged and yes he does swing the umbrella. He swings it at people at cars and dogs. He hit my car with it because he felt that his jaywalking was more important than my right of way on william street.

I never did anything about it because he is mentally challenged.

I had remarked that he is very well kept, clean shaven, dressed nicely and neatly. I had mentioned in jest that he appears to be everyplace I go and that would most likely to be down to the fact that I drive for a living and would come across him more than anybody else.

Willie 3 Toes IS dangerous. Being from Corbally he was often around St Munchins and Shannon Banks and used to take pictures of children whom he claimed were slagging him. I used to avoid him because he reppetative story about moving to Jersey to marry a woman who has Jersey cows was getting on my nerves. He would stop you and make you feel uncomfortable. He has grabbed me without provocation on a number of occasions as I walked back to school during lunch claiming we were looking at him.

It was a shame when some misintropes killed his Goats down the mill road. That was not very nice.

• Advertisement

Im aware that man is mentally challenged and yes he does swing the umbrella. He swings it at people at cars and dogs. He hit my car with it because he felt that his jaywalking was more important than my right of way on william street.

I never did anything about it because he is mentally challenged.

I had remarked that he is very well kept, clean shaven, dressed nicely and neatly. I had mentioned in jest that he appears to be everyplace I go and that would most likely to be down to the fact that I drive for a living and would come across him more than anybody else.

Willie 3 Toes IS dangerous. Being from Corbally he was often around St Munchins and Shannon Banks and used to take pictures of children whom he claimed were slagging him. I used to avoid him because he reppetative story about moving to Jersey to marry a woman who has Jersey cows was getting on my nerves. He would stop you and make you feel uncomfortable. He has grabbed me without provocation on a number of occasions as I walked back to school during lunch claiming we were looking at him.

It was a shame when some misintropes killed his Goats down the mill road. That was not very nice.

I've known Willie all my life, my uncle is one of his only friends, and if Willie became a little paranoid over the last few years, it's because he was made so.
    For every kid who he thought wrongly was staring and slagging him, there where three who were.
    When you have mental psychosis like he does, it's hard to diferentiate.
    If half of the things that have actually happened to him had happened to either of us, we'd be justifiably paranoid.
    Never mind with his condition.

And if you're seriously surprised by Jaywalking in Limerick, I'm shocked.
    it's a city passtime.

I grew up accross the road from Jerry.
    I used to take the same bus with him on an almost daily basis.
    And Jerry doesn't swing his umbrella at anyone unless provoked.

Now I'm not saying you personaly provoked him, you have to understand that provoked means different things for people like Jerry.

There's too much of a culture nowadays, of making fools and jokes out of people with mental problems.

Advertisement