Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semesterisation yay or nay?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

For those of us who worked under the old system what do you think of semesterisation?

from my own experience its been fairly poorly implemented...badly organised,no actual choice of modules and a seriously increased workload... but then maybe thats just my department:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

has its ups and down. i think it has definately increased the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

has its ups and down. i think it has definately increased the workload.
    Personally it has fked up my final year. FYP being sarcrified terribly. Since we came back 2 weeks late (work placement), we are having awful time with scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Is utterly impractical in Crawford.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

The workload is crazy!!!

TBH I like the format...... the month off in January will be very handy. Some of our modules are 100% CA, so no final exam!! but thats where the extra work is coming from you have to do it throughout the year instead. :(

Seanot wrote: »
    The workload is crazy!!!

TBH I like the format...... the month off in January will be very handy. Some of our modules are 100% CA, so no final exam!! but thats where the extra work is coming from you have to do it throughout the year instead. :(
    month off would be nice alright if we didn't have our exams on it plus a project :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Suits me very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

its a load of bollox nothing wrong with the old system why fix it if it aint broke?

oh ya to keep the admin staff in their jobs...

As well as that Lecturers don't have much control over exam scheduling/format anymore etc.

era the workload is up but other than that i don't mind it. sure anyone coming into third level this year anyway wouldn't know any different because they never had the old way. a few years time and the change will all be forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Seanot wrote: »
    The workload is crazy!!!

I really like how 3 out my 6 modules r 100% CA. I much prefer that to the majority of the marks going for an end of semester exam. Also the it goes by a lot faster cuz its only 12 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I get no month off :( i go on work experience straight after xmas for 3 months. Think ye have it bad, when we get back we have 6 weeks to cover 12 weeks work. Oh joy :D

at least you get work experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

In social care you generally need to have it or no-one will touch you after college. It's the reason i'm doing it here. :D

that sux. someday i`m going to walk out of collitch with 0 days experience doing anything. especially if the recession keeps going. but things like the recession only make more work for social workers

towel401 wrote: »
    that sux. someday i`m going to walk out of collitch with 0 days experience doing anything. especially if the recession keeps going. but things like the recession only make more work for social workers

what course are you doing towel??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

what course are you doing towel??
    I'm towel401. repeating a few subjects of electronic engineering. as usual

electronic engineering apparently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I hate semestirisation. its been badly planned in my course and im up to my eyeballs in assignments,reports and exams. iv had to stay in til 9 some nights just to get things done.:(

suppafly wrote: »
    electronic engineering apparently :)

cool. had you down as ITS for some reason and was wondering why ye hadn't any work experience. ya it's a pity that ye don't have it. it's a worthwhile addition to any course.
    iv had to stay in til 9 some nights just to get things done.:(

lol. we're timetabled from 10 -10 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. and then it's home for a few hours of more work to get stuff done. i'd be happy out to be finished my college work at 9!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cork Like

i am big into sports, im chairman of one club, and had planned to join many others. but since semesterisation, i dont have ANY free time. i have exams andassignments EVERY week... and even the final year exams are formatted badly. i have a programming exam on week 12.. then the programming end of semester exam on week 13. who needs 2 exams in 2 weeks? and i have another in week ten to top it off.... if they half the year they should half the number of exams and assignments, instead of squeezing all the same ammount of work into a smaller space. but they dont seem to get this fact into their thick skulls. Solely because of semesterisation and its bad implementation in cit, along with the bad running of everything the techies were blamed for at the start of the year (including missing 4 weeks of labs coz they hadnt been bothered seeting up the student log-ins) i am fairly certain that i wont be coming back here next year.

Advertisement