Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist fees and prsi

• 04-11-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Okay, mods this may be in the wrong place but not sure where it goes so move it if needs be.

had a dental appointment last week, cost me 60euros for exam and xray, anyways i have to get a lot of work done (my own fault) but the receptionist said i'm not covered as I went to Oz in 2005...something about your psi starting from scratch and that you need to work up 5years :eek: before I can get covered again...

it's gonna cost me a couple of hundred tomorrow,which is gonna have to come out of an overdraft..

Why am i not entitled to even a cent off? I worked the Jan and Dec in 2005 and also a few days in the August as i came home for a short time.

surely there's a glitch there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mel123

Okay, mods this may be in the wrong place but not sure where it goes so move it if needs be.

had a dental appointment last week, cost me 60euros for exam and xray, anyways i have to get a lot of work done (my own fault) but the receptionist said i'm not covered as I went to Oz in 2005...something about your psi starting from scratch and that you need to work up 5years :eek: before I can get covered again...

it's gonna cost me a couple of hundred tomorrow,which is gonna have to come out of an overdraft..

Why am i not entitled to even a cent off? I worked the Jan and Dec in 2005 and also a few days in the August as i came home for a short time.

surely there's a glitch there?

negative im afraid. they have to be consectutive contributions
    http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw24.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It's a bit ridiculous tho or is that just me? I've been working since I was 15, the past 5 full time. oh well:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Its the govts way of worming out of dental help. Was less than that a few years ago.

consider calll vhi - they have a dental plan. 1850444444

http://www.vhi.ie/info/MainServlet?action=accessDentalSite

call them before you go to the dentist as you cant claim on work done before you sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Same situation I'm in, I was out of the country and now I'm back but not covered. Had to pay close to €700 in dental costs over the last few weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

worded wrote: »
    Its the govts way of worming out of dental help. Was less than that a few years ago.

consider calll vhi - they have a dental plan. 1850444444

http://www.vhi.ie/info/MainServlet?action=accessDentalSite

call them before you go to the dentist as you cant claim on work done before you sign up

You need to leave minor treatments 3 months before you claim after signing up and 6 months for major treatments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Don't have vhi and won't be as i needed the work done this week. the government must have hiked the three years to five years as m positive i was told last time that i had to be working three years before claiming. its nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

When I turned 25, it changed from 2 years to 5 years working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

check with the dentist if any of it is coverd by a med 2 form if they still exist after the budget cuts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

:eek:
    If anybody is getting serious stuff done, the tax relief is going down from41% to 20% from 1 Jan (crowns etc). Get your dentist to back date the bill, so you can claim - or pay in advance to avail of tax relief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You can ring Dept of Social Welfare benefits section in Letterkenny, quote your RSI number and request info regarding your entitlements to dental/optical etc cover, they will also tell you when you are likely to be qualified.

Beware of the VHI Decare scheme, they keep reducing the treatments and the amounts they will cover, now its down to one crown per year I think, and that must be for reasons other than cosmetics. In my experience the patients have paid considerably more for this insurance than they will ever get back.

Med 2 forms cover high end/expensive treatments not what Revenue consider routine dentistry eg fillings/extractions/cleanings etc.

I'm afraid cbreeze is wrong about the advice on backdating reciepts. Any thing paid before January 1st can be claimed on Med 2 form if it qualifies, everything after is at the lower 20%. Because Med 2 forms go to Revenue with Dentist's RSI details, if the practise is audited by Revenue inspectors will come in with all Med 2 forms submitted to them by patients and check the amounts claimed against the cash book. If they do not tally, the dentist will have a choice between dropping his patient in it and the revenue going after them for overpaid tax relief, or having the Revenue think he has not declared the income.

In short, if you are planning to have crowns/bridges/implants/orthodontics next year, pay as much as you can in advance before january 1st, get the reciepts and the Med 2 form. You can then have the treatment at your leisure in the new year and you will have saved 21% by paying now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement