Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Leben Suspended For Nine Months

• 04-11-2008 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

From f4wonline.com:
    Recent main eventer tests positive, out 9 months

Chris Leben tested positive for Stanazolol in a test administered by UFC on the day of his fight with Michael Bisping on 10/18 in Birmingham, England.

Leben, who lost a three-round decision, has been suspended for nine months by UFC and fined one-third of his undisclosed purse.

When informed of his positive test, Leben admitted using the drug but said it was months back and thought it would have cleared his system.

Leben is the second fighter to fail a UFC administered drug test as opposed to an athletic commission test. The UFC shows in the U.K. are not governed by an athletic commission, so Marc Ratner, the company's Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, who had years of experience as the head of the Nevada commission, oversees the event, doing many of the jobs that an athletic commission would do.

Just goes to show that sometimes you just shouldn't take the risk. Although he could very well be lying about using it months back, even if stanozolol is known for being traceable for a long time after use

Comments

Odd considering he was looking considerably leaner, rather than bulked up, for the fight. I never like seeing this but unfortunately it happens and will continue to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Odd considering he was looking considerably leaner, rather than bulked up, for the fight. I never like seeing this but unfortunately it happens and will continue to happen.

Stanozolol is known as a cutting steroid, not a bulking steroid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fozzy wrote: »
    Stanozolol is known as a cutting steroid, not a bulking steroid

Actually, its not.

A lot of athletes will use to to increase strenght without the risk of increasing bulk.

I'm kind of surprised his only tested positive for Stanozolol, more commonly known as 'Winstrol' or 'Winny'. But its normally used with other ancillary drugs, Deca (Nandrolone) being the most common because Winny causes the joints to dry up and become sore, so athletes try to combat by taking Deca as this retains water in the joints without adding serious water retention.

Leben saying that it was months ago that he took it is a bluff job. He probably did take it months ago, and not in the run up to this fight. But all user's of Winny know that strenght gains made on it stays with the user, unlike most other steroids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

A really stupid move by Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Mairt wrote: »
    Actually, its not.

A lot of athletes will use to to increase strenght without the risk of increasing bulk.

I'm kind of surprised his only tested positive for Stanozolol, more commonly known as 'Winstrol' or 'Winny'. But its normally used with other ancillary drugs, Deca (Nandrolone) being the most common because Winny causes the joints to dry up and become sore, so athletes try to combat by taking Deca as this retains water in the joints without adding serious water retention.

Leben saying that it was months ago that he took it is a bluff job. He probably did take it months ago, and not in the run up to this fight. But all user's of Winny know that strenght gains made on it stays with the user, unlike most other steroids.

Deca is the worst steroid to take for any athlete tat is drug tested as it can be detected up to 1 year after use

• Advertisement

dave80 wrote: »
    Deca is the worst steroid to take for any athlete tat is drug tested as it can be detected up to 1 year after use

As its a fat residual steroid it can be tested for a long time after one year.

And D, I agree. Complete idiocy.

Because Winny is taken every other day a lot of athletes think its got an extremly short half life and can't be tested for after more than a few days.

He's not the first UFC fighter to test positive for winny either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Very disappointed with this, felt like Leben had really matured in the last couple of years.

On the other hand, pleased to see UFC doing proper testing for non sanctioned events, and pleased at the relatively hefty suspension.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Very disappointed with this, felt like Leben had really matured in the last couple of years.

On the other hand, pleased to see UFC doing proper testing for non sanctioned events, and pleased at the relatively hefty suspension.

Don't be too disappointed, get used to it because he certainly won't be the last.

Next, you will be telling me there is no Santa.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hopefully this will deter other MMA'ers from using steriods

According to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanozolol

Publicized abuse cases
    Ben Johnson was stripped of his gold medal in the 100 meter sprint at the 1988 Summer Olympics when he tested positive for stanozolol after winning the final.[1]

Olimpiada Ivanova was stripped of her silver medal in the 10 kilometer walk at the 1997 World Championships in Athletics after she had tested positive for Stanozolol, and she was banned for two years.[2]

Vita Pavlysh was stripped of her gold medal in shot put at the 1999 IAAF World Indoor Championships after she had tested positive for Stanozolol. 5 years later at the 2004 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Budapest, Hungary, she won the title again only to fail the drug test for the same reason. She was again stripped of her title and banned from athletics for life.[3]

Liudmyla Blonska, a Ukrainian heptathlete, tested positive for traces of Stanozolol shortly after finishing thirteenth at the 2002 European Championships in Athletics and in June 2003 was handed a two year ban, whereafter she returned to the sport.[4] At the 2008 Beijing Games, she was stripped of a silver medal and given a lifetime ban after testing positive for stanozolol again.[5]

Rafael Palmeiro was suspended 10 days from Major League Baseball on August 1, 2005, after testing positive for steroids.[6] According to the published report in the New York Times, Stanozolol was the steroid detected in Palmeiro's system. This came not long after he testified before the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on steroid usage in baseball, and he denied ever using steroids.

Barry Bonds is accused of using Stanozolol in Game of Shadows, a book by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams that documents the purported use of various steroids by Bonds since 1998. The accusations were first aired on 7 March 2006 by Sports Illustrated, which published excerpts from the book.[citation needed]

Tim Sylvia, mixed martial artist, and the former UFC Heavyweight Champion tested positive for Stanozolol after a championship bout in 2003. He was stripped of his title, and given a six month suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.[citation needed]

Kimo Leopoldo, mixed martial artist, tested positive for Stanozolol before a match set on July 22nd 2006. The California State Athletic Commission barred Leopoldo from competing against Bas Rutten.[citation needed]

Halina Karnatsevich, marathon runner, tested positive for Stanozolol after the 2006 Grandma's Marathon. She was stripped of her 2006 title and suspended from competition for two years after testing positive for a banned substance.[citation needed]

Fernando Vargas, boxer, tested positive for Stanozolol during a post-fight mandatory drug screening after his defeat by rival Oscar De La Hoya. Vargas accepted full responsibility and was consequently fined $100,000 and suspended for nine months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Rey Mysterio, professional wrestler, was accused of obtaining stanozol on March 19, 2007, when Sports Illustrated posted on its website an article in its continuing series investigating a steroid and HGH ring used by a number of professional athletes in several sports. That article mentioned several current and former WWE wrestlers, including Mysterio who was alleged to have also obtained nandrolone.

Salvador Carmona, footballer, tested positive for Stanozolol in 2005 and 2006. He was banned for life by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) due to repeated drug offences. Tribunal Arbitral du Sport.[7]

Phil Baroni, former UFC and PRIDE Fighting Championship fighter, tested positive for Stanozolol following his June 22, 2007 fight against Frank Shamrock at Strikeforce: Judgment Day.[8]

K-1's 2007 World Grand Prix in Las Vegas finalist Zabit Samedov tested positive for Stanozolol following the August 11, 2007 event.[9]
    John Hennigan (John Morrison in World Wrestling Entertainment) was caught with having used Stanozolol between June 2006 and February 2007 and was suspended for 30 days

Roger Clemens was reported to have been injected with Stanozolol (Winstrol) by major league strength coach Brian McNamee during the 1998 baseball season.[10]

2008 Triple Crown hopeful Big Brown was reported to have been injected with Winstrol, which is legal in some states in US horse racing, by trainer Richard E. Dutrow Jr. [11]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Killme00 wrote: »
    Hopefully this will deter other MMA'ers from using steriods

Or splash out on the designer ones. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

rovert wrote: »
    Or splash out on the designer ones. :pac:

Well that Junie guy should be on something..Ritalin, Electric shock treatment perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

This is frustrating. He cleans up with the alcohol and this sh*t happens. He just seems to keep slipping and slipping.

Mairt wrote: »
    Actually, its not.

Isn't that pretty much what I said? :pac: It's not a steroid used for bulking, as you said too. I've heard bodybuilders talk about how they use it when they're cutting weight

When's the next UFC show in California? There's guaranteed to be some failures at it because of the new testing levels in that state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

When's the next UFC show in California?

I'm not sure. They did 2 shows from there in 2007 I think and haven't done one this year.

Oh, the Affliction show is on in California. I wonder who'll be caught out this time. There were a couple of failures on their first show

Isn't that pretty much what I said? :pac: It's not a steroid used for bulking, as you said too. I've heard bodybuilders talk about how they use it when they're cutting weight

When BB'ers use winny in a cutting cycle its used mainly as an anticatabolic agent. Its also good for a competing BB'er because it doesn't promote water retention, nor does it aromatise (no bitch tits, no acne etc).

Alone it doesn't have any fat burning properties.

Fighters have used it for along time because it was thought hard to detect, plus the fighter gained great strenght without the risk of moving into a heavier weight catagory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Nine months, what a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Kind of makes a mockery of all his 'spiritual growth' and yoga poses on Hawaiin mountainsides in the countdown to UFC 89.

Clive wrote: »
    Nine months, what a joke.

Its more than I would have expected. NSAC has typically banned for 1 year, although 6 months in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

t-ha wrote: »
    Kind of makes a mockery of all his 'spiritual growth' and yoga poses on Hawaiin mountainsides in the countdown to UFC 89.

I don't know. Might be worth trying Winny stacked with Pilates?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Just goes to show, you can take roids and still be crap. Leben was absolutely terrible in that fight. He hasn't really progressed past throwing lefts. Anyone notice that a lot of the guys getting caught on roids are all losing fighters? If they were all winning then I'd be worried.

Valmont wrote: »
    Just goes to show, you can take roids and still be crap. Leben was absolutely terrible in that fight. He hasn't really progressed past throwing lefts. Anyone notice that a lot of the guys getting caught on roids are all losing fighters? If they were all winning then I'd be worried.

Ok, well steroids can't do..

A; teach technique..

B; Put muscle on your chin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

i thought leben was great really entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Leben was absolutely terrible in that fight.

Whaaaat? With all due respect, were you even watching that fight?! Leben took everything Bisping had to throw at him and was still looking for more. I admit i was rooting for Bisping in the fight, but I thought Leben did a damn good job in every round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Leben took everything Bisping had to throw at him and was still looking for more.

I totally agree but that's Lebens style (if you can call it that) is n't it? he takes a good beating! which i find it a bit weird why a brawler would take steroids. either way he's getting a good pounding (no innuendo)

I'm just glad that it was dealt with publicly and there was no attempt to sweep it under the carpet

Advertisement