Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-literacy on Boards

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

The widespread bad grammer and misuse of punctuation on boards is unbelievable.

Examples are: "I done", "Them people", "Ye or Youse", "There mine"

Is English no longer taught in school??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The widespread bad grammer and misuse of punctuation on boards is unbelievable.

Oh the ironing!

Here - fixed that for you

On boards, the widespread bad grammar and misuse of punctuation is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

MadsL wrote: »
    Oh the ironing!

Here - fixed that for you

On boards, the widespread bad grammar and misuse of punctuation is unbelievable.

That 'e' was my only reason for opening this thread. :D

For what it's worth the one that really annoys me is using "loose" when "lose" is meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

javaboy wrote: »
    That 'e' was my only reason for opening this thread. :D

For what it's worth the one that really annoys me is using "loose" when "lose" is meant.
    Don't be such a looser.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    Don't be such a looser.

Now your being rediculous. Theirs no need for that. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Newsflash - this isn't isolated to boards.

I was talking about this with someone last night. She received an email from someone yesterday that was long, but used no full stops. Commas, all the way.

I routinely receive emails from someone who does use full stops; and lots of them.

So most of her emails are written like this......It's almost like watching someone's train of thought.......Weird isn't it........?.......Best Regards......etc.....

I have mates who send emails or messages that contain no punctutation except a lot of use of the return key.

These are all intelligent educated people. I'm pretty sure the problem is largely down to laziness above anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Disagree your honour,it's pure ignorance.

Nothing more, nothing less.

May be educated in a certain discipline or profession, but all round education, no way Shay;)

seamus wrote: »
    I was talking about this with someone last night. She received an email from someone yesterday that was long, but used no full stops.

I blame James Joyce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

At least thank the powers that be there is no text speak allowed.

Bad English i can deal with, text speak is creul on the eye and the brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

I blame James Joyce.

Haha, stream of consciousness?!

Papillon87 wrote: »
    Haha, stream of consciousness?!

Yes but stream of consciousness is too noble a term for what some people do these days. A more appropriate term is "verbal diarrhoea".

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Yes but stream of consciousness is too noble a term for what some people do these days. A more appropriate term is "verbal diarrhoea".

True that :p

Advertisement