Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent free alternative to AVG Free ?

• 04-11-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent & free alternative to AVG Free ? I was happy with the previous version, but V8 requires a manual update & it's becoming a pain, not least because it's on every family member's PC & guess who they call ??

Looking for something that will afford the same level of protection, isn't "scary" in case I need to get them to do something over the phone & does automatic updates.

TNX

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Avira antivirus is free and has automatic updates.
    I havent had many problems with it any time I used it.
    Though when it auto updates it also launches a browser pop up asking you to upgrade to the pay version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Avast is my top free-AV pick, but I feel somewhat more comfortable with the subscription service that came with my lappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

if ya are a UCd student you can a free one (forget the name,a good one i suppose).

for using AVG about 4 yrs now,my desktop is the latest one,my lappy is with the 7.5 - i dont really bother to use any of these antivirus softwares seriously.backup,defrag/scan disk ,system restore,firefox,ace utilities(some cleaner software) are well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i have recently installed avira on family and friends machines, it seems to update when it wants to, is there a problem with the update server does anyone know ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Avast antivirus, free, autoupdating pretty much daily and doesnt hog your computers resources. Savage programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Another recommendation for Avast. Been using it for years, virus free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Cheers guys... Or should I say "Avast Me Hearties!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yeah another vote for Avast Home Edition + Comodo Firewall

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

haven't looked at it in a while but some people like AntiVir
    www.free-av.com/en/download/1/download_avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

seraphimvc wrote: »
    for using AVG about 4 yrs now,my desktop is the latest one,my lappy is with the 7.5 - i dont really bother to use any of these antivirus softwares seriously.backup,defrag/scan disk ,system restore,firefox,ace utilities(some cleaner software) are well enough.

one day you'll let a friend use your laptop to check email and bam, herpes.

only kidding, don't think there's such a thing as Internet herpes yet. But update to version 8 on your lappy, 7.5 has holes, plus I thought they stopped issuing updates for anything below 8?

Also my avg free on several computers still does automatic updates. perhaps there's a setting a miss on your families pcs iMax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,377 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

avg should auto update, I know the new version does for me

comodo antivirus is another alternative, free for commercial and home use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    plus I thought they stopped issuing updates for anything below 8?

Still updating 7.5 but with nags to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Uninstalled AVG today & installed Avast on all the family members PCs (thank you logmein). First thing I had to do was skin it to a vista typee skin. Sweet Jebus, that skin they ship it with is horrible, like early mp3 player.

Currently doing it's first scan on all the systems & has found a moxy load of stuff that AVG didn't turn up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yup way way way better service than avg, i never get why anyone would pick it over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Been using avast since the destruction of my last laptop (which had norton)

not a problem since

Advertisement