Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux in Virtual Box

• 04-11-2008 1:17am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm running Intrepid Ibex on VirtualBox 2.04 and no matter what I try I can't enable fullscreen. When I press ctrl + f all I get is a black border around the Virtualbox. Any one have any ideas?

Also I can't seem to enable Desktop effects even though I downloaded Compizconfigsettings.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Not sure about the fullscreen thing - but it's highly unlikely you'll be able to use Compiz. VM sessions don't have direct access to the graphics card and only emulate graphics. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

If you're just testing out Intrepid try the LiveCD instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm running Intrepid Ibex on VirtualBox 2.04 and no matter what I try I can't enable fullscreen. When I press ctrl + f all I get is a black border around the Virtualbox. Any one have any ideas?

Also I can't seem to enable Desktop effects even though I downloaded Compizconfigsettings.

Thanks

You'll have to increase the resolution inside the VM (in linux) itself to the same as that of the screen AFAIK.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sean_K wrote: »
    You'll have to increase the resolution inside the VM (in linux) itself to the same as that of the screen AFAIK.

It only gives the option of 800x600 or 640x400.

I wanted to avoid dual booting, is there anyway around doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Have you installed the Virtual Box add-ins?

I have the additions mounted in VB but I can't install anything from there. It keeps saying can't find autorun or when it runs in the terminal it just flashes up for a second then dissappears.

• Advertisement

I have the additions mounted in VB but I can't install anything from there. It keeps saying can't find autorun or when it runs in the terminal it just flashes up for a second then dissappears.
    Thats fine, its normal. You need run the installer in the command line manually.

Sorry can you guide me through it. Haven't got a clue how to use it.

Any ideas?

Sorry about the delay, forgot to check back to this thread :o

After you select "Install Guest Additions" from the VirtualBox Devices menu, open a terminal in Ubuntu and cd into /media/cdrom0

ls to see your options.

Then sudo VBoxLinuxAdditions-[plat - x86 or amd64, whichever is appropriate].run to start installing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

You could use the Wubi installer, you can uninstall it then like any other Windows program.

http://wubi-installer.org/

It will give you a more realistic idea of the hardware detection that way.

• Advertisement

I got the virtual additions to install on Microsfts virtual pc. The only problem is I can't get compiz fusion to work. Is there any way I can get it to use my graphics card? From using virtual box and vmware I believe the graphics are software emulated. I downloaded the Ati drivers and every compiz package I could find but can't get them to work.

On a side note I really like fedora.

Macros42 wrote: »
    Not sure about the fullscreen thing - but it's highly unlikely you'll be able to use Compiz. VM sessions don't have direct access to the graphics card and only emulate graphics. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

If you're just testing out Intrepid try the LiveCD instead.

Should have paid more attention to this! Looks like Im going to have to dual boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Should have paid more attention to this! Looks like Im going to have to dual boot.

You could try run it off a USB disk, or install with Wubi installer, if you don't fancy partitioning. There's a facility noe to create a US startup disk in System/Administration.

Advertisement