Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post grad primary teaching northern ireland

• 04-11-2008 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Okies i really really would appreciate anyyyyyy info on the post grad options for primary school teaching in northern ireland. I'm a tad all over the place at the moment with applications and wondering what to do, i'm going to apply for the post grad in Limerick, but my irish is not the bestest at the moment lot of work to be done, but i was at the same time thinking of applying to england to do the teaching, failiong to realise a lot of the colleges set a requirement that you have to have science from your leaving cert which i don't. Anyway what im wondering is are there colleges in northern ireland that do the pgrad in education like im limerick and dublin and if so how do you go about's applying? Or even if anyone is thinking of applying or has taken this course, I would be grateful to any information

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 monkey99

Hey, first of all in fairness if you're serious about this then you need to do the researching yourself, when you are qualified theres going to be a massive workload and you're going to have to do it all yourself! Sorry now but it has to be said!
    Northern Ireland is the same as england and wales, you need science for them.
    Google gttr its the application website for primary and secondary teachin in uk, including scotland, which is the only place you can apply without science. There are 6 colleges (i think) which do primary teaching in scotland, you can find them easily by googling.
    Closing dates for the majority of them is Dec 1st!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

monkey99 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is the same as england and wales, you need science for them.
    Google gttr its the application website for primary and secondary teachin in uk, including Scotland

But not including Northern Ireland unless things have changed there. The Northern Irish courses are managed through the individual unis.

Look for Primary PGCE on the Queen's or UU websites. Note that places are more limited there than in Great Britain. Also note that training in UK will limit your job prospects in ROI due to lack of Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 monkey99

The northern unis may be managed seperately, but the op doesnt have science so wont be able to do them anyway.

When you do the PGCE in england/scotland/wales/N.I. you can do an irish exam upon returning to teach in ROI. This is what practically everyone does. You can do it within the first 5years of returning, not from when you finish, incase you want to teach in uk for a while. This exam is meant to be similar to the leaving cert, so i'm sure if you study for it it should be doable! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

Yes yes i know all that already monkey i have done the research, just that gttr online application can be confusing, i have a D1 ordinary level maths and in addition to science being a requiremnent in a lot of the UK colleges i dont think my maths grade would be eligable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pavillion

Hey,

I am thinking about applying to the UK for primary teaching. I got a pass degree in s/w development in 2002 and working in I.T. since then. Will the pass degree mean I have zero chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Pavillion wrote: »
    Hey,

I am thinking about applying to the UK for primary teaching. I got a pass degree in s/w development in 2002 and working in I.T. since then. Will the pass degree mean I have zero chance?

Elaborate - did you get a pass grade in a Level 8 Honours Degree course; or did you get a Level 7 Ordinary Degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pavillion

I got a pass degree on a level 8 honours degree course.

I got a pass degree on a level 8 honours degree course.

As long as you have a Level 8 degree (regardless of the grade) you're as eligible as anyone else to apply. If I were you I'd get some classroom experience before applying, as this will increase your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddyclifford

Hey,

Hello,

I am considering training to become a primary school teacher and I am wondering if you have any progress to report. Some of the main things that I am concerned about:

1) I could not afford to do the Post Grad in Ireland
    2) I do not have honors Irish

I was thinking about training in the UK/NI/Scot but I called up St. Pats college and the lady/admission person told me how hard it was to get into Pats now and how tough it would be to get a job in Ireland if you competing with people who studied in Eire.

Any update/info appreciated

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

would home economics count as a science subject?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pele2010

Unfortunatly the science is necessary for many of the UK colleges when appyinh for a PGCE through the GTTR website. its best checking which ones do not need science and applying to them as i have been refused from about 4 now because of it.

I have done science modules in my university degree but they cannot be accepted which is a bit ridiculous really

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

As long as you have a Level 8 degree (regardless of the grade) you're as eligible as anyone else to apply. If I were you I'd get some classroom experience before applying, as this will increase your chances.

I am in my second of four years doing business. I plan on going to any college i can get into to do the post grad. Northern ireland is where i would prefer, but ill be applying to scotland and england. You say having teaching experience would be of a benefit? i ran into my old primary school teacher a while ago and hes actually the principal now and told me if i ever want to come down for a couple of weeks that it would be fine. so should i take him up on his offer? ive no experience like that what so ever, is it not daunting, or will i more than likely just be sitting at the back of the classroom observing?

Also anyone wanting to do it abroad without science? Just apply to sit the junior cert exam in your last year of college and study for it and your sorted. Thats what ill be doing, as well as my leaving cert maths! :/

Also seems as the original question was never answered, does anyone know what colleges in Northern ireland do a post grad course for primary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

11amie11 your best bet for experience is to ask primary schools if you can volunteer/observe in the school. There are hundreds of unemployed, fully qualified primary teachers in the country at the moment, so the chances of unqualified people being employed for subbing are very slim.

11amie11 wrote: »
    I am in my second of four years doing business. I plan on going to any college i can get into to do the post grad. Northern ireland is where i would prefer, but ill be applying to scotland and england. You say having teaching experience would be of a benefit? i ran into my old primary school teacher a while ago and hes actually the principal now and told me if i ever want to come down for a couple of weeks that it would be fine. so should i take him up on his offer? ive no experience like that what so ever, is it not daunting, or will i more than likely just be sitting at the back of the classroom observing?

Also anyone wanting to do it abroad without science? Just apply to sit the junior cert exam in your last year of college and study for it and your sorted. Thats what ill be doing, as well as my leaving cert maths! :/

Also seems as the original question was never answered, does anyone know what colleges in Northern ireland do a post grad course for primary?

I would definitely recommend taking your old teacher up on his offer. I guarantee you would not be sitting at the back of the classroom doing nothing for the whole day. Yes, a part of your time will be spent observing, but there are so many times during the day that a second pair of hands would come in useful. You'd be asked to help out with Art, setting up P.E. equipment, that kind of thing. Also, you may be asked to help some children with their tasks if they were having trouble. This small list is not exhaustive!

Regarding your prospects for getting onto the Postgraduate course, the very fact that you were in a classroom observing/helping out will be of great benefit. All other things being equal, you'd stand a better chance than somebody who didn't try to get into a classroom beforehand.

Your old teacher's offer also has the added benefit of you seeing what primary school teaching is REALLY like, and if it really is for you. Many people enter teaching courses having no classroom experience other than when they were students themselves, some subsequently find out that it's not the job they hoped it would be.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tbph

can I just ask a quick question. I have done only two days observation in a school, i just cant do anymore at present due to other work constraints prior to the closing date. Could i say iv done a week? or do they check? i plan on finishing the week and doing some more observation next year when iv more time but at present this is all i can manage.

Advertisement