Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detroit Techno meets the Montpellier Philaharmonic Orchestra

Options
  • 04-11-2008 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭

Im not into classic music in the slightest, but being a generally open minded music fan etc I though id throw up this link of a bit of unusual musical collaboration to see what the thoughts of those classic fans would amount to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STpOak4iAJY

so yeah, feel free to give your opinion on it, whether its 'cool' or just chalk and cheese,

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I think it's very cool but I'd imagine the classical purists would cringe at this! It's fine and cool as a once off but after a while it does get a little cheesy as we know what DJs can do and we know what orchestras can do so it's best leave them do their stuff independently.

It reminds me of the work Metallica did with the San Fran Symphony Orchestra, all good and stuff but I still go back to the original recordings to listen to all their tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I think it's very cool but I'd imagine the classical purists would cringe at this! It's fine and cool as a once off but after a while it does get a little cheesy as we know what DJs can do and we know what orchestras can do so it's best leave them do their stuff independently.

It reminds me of the work Metallica did with the San Fran Symphony Orchestra, all good and stuff but I still go back to the original recordings to listen to all their tracks.

If you're a Metallica fan, please don't shoot me, but I really do prefer their tracks with orchestra. I just think it gives them much more punch, and Kamen's orchestrations are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

If you're a Metallica fan, please don't shoot me, but I really do prefer their tracks with orchestra. I just think it gives them much more punch, and Kamen's orchestrations are very good.

don't worry, no shooting here! I'm a Metallica fan but also a Classical music fan. Yes, I also liked the orchestra versions, they worked well but I felt sometimes they were trying too hard just to fit some pieces into a working orchestra. I think the slower pieces (Unforgiven, Nothing else Matters) worked the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I agree with you mantioning how some DJs can get cheesy in certain ways (usually trying to be innovative) but on the other hand perhaps Jeff Mills is simply trying to do something along the lines of showing that as different as they are, electronic music and classical could be a hybrid that some individual might look into trying to progress on.

'classical techno' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I don't get it at all, a waste of time TBH.

House and techno is all about the beats really and one or two funky loops can make a track work. So the orchestra doesn't really add much.

However I think mixing electronics and accoustic performance opens up a world of opportunity, it's just very difficult.

The best example I can think of is Bjork. She used to backing ensemble for her live shows, strings and a harp I think, and it worked brilliantly with heavy beats.

I think mixing accoustics and electronics works best where there's a big ambient element to the music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement