Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the Irish Naval Reserve?

• 04-11-2008 7:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Sorry if I should have posted in another thread about this rather than making a new one, I wasn't quite sure.

Hi, I'm a 21 year old girl studying Arts at UCC here in Cork, and I was wondering what are the requirements and process for joining the Naval Reserve? I know there are some offices here in the city, but I don't know much more than that and I don't really want to contact them without any idea of what to say.

I'm 21 and female (as I mentioned), around 5'7"-8", around 110lbs. I have eyesight problems (shortsightedness, lazy eye) and I wear glasses or contact lenses so would this cause problems if I wanted to join? I assume a physical test is compulsory. Also is there anyone who currently is or has been in the Navy or Naval Reserves who could tell me what I could expect from the training should I attempt to join?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

Loads of info on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054962985

Dont know about the lazy eye. Ring and ask
    0214514220 dont be shy, they wont bite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Northern Line

Thanks! And yeah, I'm perfectly healthy otherwise but my eyesight usually lets me down when it comes to these things... I guess I can only try, and if not, it's fate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

You won't make it in with the lazy eye, unless its extrememly slight. Just came back from a medical with my coy, we went with like 12 people and returned with 8. All people who failed, failed over there eyes.

2 = colour blind.
    1 = distance problem.
    1= lazy eye(very slight).

I reccomend you go to your own optician and get yourself checked out before you start the reserves as otherwise you will end up just making friends and having to say goodbye in a few months. Waste of time.

That sucks. You mentioned a "distance problem" which is probably shortsightedness, which I have also. I've had my lazy eye since birth so it doesn't hinder me on a daily basis as it might with someone who acquired it recently through injury or otherwise (which is also why I'm permitted to drive), but the shortsightedness would probably let me down regardless. Thanks for your honesty, though! It's a pity my eyesight holds me back from so many things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

You should go to your optician, the guy with the lazy eye was only just bearly detected. Don't know if he had it from birth or what, friendship got cut short when he was dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Don't let the shortsightedness put you off, it has to be fairly bad for them to refuse you afaik, there are a fair few lads in the reserve that where glasses ( some of which are fairly thick ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

All you can do is try. Really depending on who does the tests you will probably get in, at least in Collins Bks Cork. they are kind of leniant but if they think you will be a liability they won't take you.

Just try. They train on Tuesday nights at 8 be up at the gate at 7.45 and talk to the guy on Guard or the guy in the Navy Clothing who is always there.

Thanks for all your advice, there's no harm in giving it a try - my eyesight is pretty bad but I've had my whole life to adjust to it, so maybe they'll be lenient in that regard. I can only try and find out.

Thanks for all your advice, there's no harm in giving it a try - my eyesight is pretty bad but I've had my whole life to adjust to it, so maybe they'll be lenient in that regard. I can only try and find out.

Go tonight if you can. The faster you are in the better!!! Uniformwise

I'm afraid I'm stuck in college for the evening! Another thing I'll have to consider when I try applying as I'm doing a particular subject that keeps me around in the early evening most days at least. Hopefully I can work something out, I'd really like to have the opportunity to do something interesting like this.

• Advertisement

Training usually starts at 8, so its just a case of getting from college to the Barracks at the top of Patricks hill. Nice little jog for you!!!

I'm sure that would become a delightful routine... ! haha

Advertisement