Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Results thread

Options
  • 04-11-2008 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

These are the 2 towns in New Hampshire That 'The West Wing' based Hartsfield Landing on.

ELECTION 2008 results are as follows;

Dixville Notch - OBAMA 15 - McCAIN 6

Hart's Location - OBAMA 17 - McCAIN 10 - Ron Paul - 2

In 2000 and 2004 both of these locations went Bush.

ELECTION 2000

Dixville Notch - Bush - 21 - Gore 5

Hart's Location - Bush 17 - Gore - 13

ELECTION 2004

Dixville Notch - Bush - 19 - Kerry - 6

Hart's Location - Bush16 - Kerry -14 - Nadar - 1

Not at all scientific but possibly the way the wind is blowing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

in case anyone is confused as i was :P
    The tiny communities since 1948 sporadically have been taking advantage of a state law that allows communities to close polls early if all registered voters have cast ballots.

article from 4 years ago: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6387158/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

and so it begins ... the anticipation is only beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Much more importantly, the Steelers beat the Redskins last night. Tradition goes that if the Redskins win their last home game before the presidential election, then the incumbent party wins...oh well McCain.

This has worked out every time since 1936 except for 2004...but that was a stolen election anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

go ron paul

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Ludo wrote: »
    This has worked out every time since 1936 except for 2004...but that was a stolen election anyway :)

2000 was the stolen election. ;)

• Advertisement

Soldie wrote: »
    2000 was the stolen election. ;)

So was 2004...google voter fraud in Ohio 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TBH I am not taking anything likely until it is proved beyond doubt. Kerry also had a strong lead at the start 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Went to the gym to work out at 6 this morning. On the way, I passed by the school where we vote(Connecticut). Normally I'm in and out in 5 minutes but there were lines a good 100 yards out the door so I'll try again later after 9am. Definately a different vibe to this election. We will see a much bigger turnout than usual in a lot of places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Obama is voting live on TV right now. It seems to be taking over 10 minutes to get through all the different things he has to vote on. No wonder the lines are so long if some states have 50-60 different votes /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Back from voting, took about 20 minutes so not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

FatherTed wrote: »
    Back from voting, took about 20 minutes so not too bad.

20 minutes is fine in any country in the world.

Not many people out or just well run by the people who run these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

(Renamed thread as topic expanded)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Polls here in Massachusetts opened at 7am and within an hour there were lines around the buildings and more voting machines had to be brought in. Most of my coworkers saw how long the lines were and decided to vote this afternoon. But my boss voted this morning and spent about an hour in line. The local news said the state is expecting as much as 72% voter turn out. Also, the weather in most places is really nice and traditionally that bodes well for Democrats.
    I cast my vote about two weeks ago, absentee, going to Florida. I voted Obama. I'm really anxious about how everything goes down tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Ludo wrote: »
    Much more importantly, the Steelers beat the Redskins last night. Tradition goes that if the Redskins win their last home game before the presidential election, then the incumbent party wins...oh well McCain.

I feel a wee bit better now, what a shocking performance last night - I was up at 6.55am yesterday morning and toughed it out watching the game until 5am this morning, in preparation for a late night/early morning tonight. I'm just out of the pit in the last half an hour.:D

McCain is gone out to 7/1 with PP, Obama is 1-16 ffs. I already told my Dad to back McCain, and am tempted to take a punt on him myself at those odds. In a two-horse race, that's unbelieveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Especially when it's a very good chance he can reach 260 electoral votes without any really big shocks.

In saying that I will be very surprised if McCain wins.

I don't think the vibe in Massachusetts or Connecticut mean all that much when they're such safe states anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

13.5 to 1 McCain on Betfair btw, if you want to back him thats the place to do it.

PS I think you'd be crazy to do it even at those odds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Inquitus wrote: »
    13.5 to 1 McCain on Betfair btw, if you want to back him thats the place to do it.

PS I think you'd be crazy to do it even at those odds!

He's gone back in so. Was out at 18 earlier on this morning. I also threw a few quid on republicans taking Missouri @ 2-1. I hate betfair and their crazy tempting odds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just onto a friend in Manhattan, she voted this morning at the local elementary school.

She said the line wasn't too bad, about a 45min wait in total. She also said that the organisation was not great, with mobs of people basically standing in a hall trying to figure out what line they were in. Turnout appears to be big so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Not sure where I should post this, but Karl Rove has predicted an Obama landslide (338-200). Whatever his ethics, or previous employers, he knows what he's talking about and I can't see any political gain in calling an Obama victory this late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Hi All,

Right now My house is just filling up with my American in-laws. They are all Jewish so are big Democrats. They are already throwing popcorn at Fox News, but Fox are talking up a final poll from www.fivethirtyeight.com This is quite a conservative organisation and its predicting a blowout for Barak Obama. 349 for Obama and 189 for McCain.

Oh thanks to O'Brien's off license in Carlow. I cleaned them out of Samuel Adams for my Father-in-Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Early exits have Obama 55% to McCain 44% (!) in Indiana. 9 points: this could be a much bigger thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ABC news: EXIT POLLS: BLACK VOTERS ACCOUNTED FOR 13 PERCENT OF ALL VOTERS; ONLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN IN 2004

Early exits have Obama 55% to McCain 44% (!) in Indiana. 9 points: this could be a much bigger thing.

That isn't an exit poll. It is the first actual results...les than 1% of the electorate in the state though so doesnt mean anything...now 49-50 to obama anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

banquo wrote: »

Beware of exit polls. I was listening to a guy on Newstalk earlier who works for a US company that carrys out such polls and he reckons that exit polls always are skewed towards democrats due to the people who carry them out. He pointed out that the typical exit poll interviewer is a college student, who tend to gravitate toward other college students, young people etc. who are more likely to vote democrat.

Just worth bearing in mind. May not be the case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

go TRON paul
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Biggins wrote: »
    ABC news: EXIT POLLS: BLACK VOTERS ACCOUNTED FOR 13 PERCENT OF ALL VOTERS; ONLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN IN 2004

Really,
    That is interseting
    If the balck voters are not out in numbers it may affect Obama's chances.

But I really cannot see them being that complacent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd imagine a lot of black voters voted early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Why would you imagine that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Many blacks probably voted early out of fear of encountering problems on the day.

Advertisement