Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Results thread

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That sucks. with the strength of cocopops and Aldi Coffee (Shocking stuff actually) I made it till 3:30, but it was a pretty clear call at that stage for Obama. BBC seemed much more willing to call it on the maths involved as state results came in.
    Sucks that the baby woke up, but you would have to almost expect it! Sods law!

Yeah, I even called it on page 22.
    He fell asleep after 30 seconds though. On my arm. Which made it difficult to move :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

When all the votes are finally counted, it will be interesting to see how the overseas military voted..will we be able to see that statistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Jeepers, what a horrible time I had getting up this morning!! Thankfully Im finished work now and back in bed!!

Laters

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Stayed up till 3ish :) This post was very imformative btw cheers to the posters for all the updates :D, Very glad Obama won :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm just bumping this for 2 reasons

1. Whoot great fun following it last night with pizza and a few cans and the BBC going for the republicans with knives (really really bias but for last night I didnt care)

2. Lets end this thread with 1000 posts people (at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

If only for the sake of the voters of those states, they should have the decency to call them one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just having a bagel and a cup of tea for breakfast. . . mmmmmmmmmm :D

The RTÉ.ie site is reporting that 100% of precincts have reported in Missouri and North Carolina, and that it's a 49/49 and a 50/50 split respectively.

CNN are also reporting that 100% of precincts have reported in these two states, but that it's 50/49 to McCain in Missouri (11), and 50/49 to Obama in North Carolina (15).

I think we'll see these last two states go as CNN have called it, which will give the final electoral college vote totals as follows:

Barack Obama 364
    John McCain 174

The popular vote is broken down as follows:

Obama 52% (62.98m)
    McCain 46% (55.77m)

That's more than 2:1. What's the official definition of a landslide?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

That's more than 2:1. What's the official definition of a landslide?

"Thus, a landslide victory can be either over 55.5% of the popular vote or over 60% of the electoral vote."

That's from wiki, so pinch of salt of course :)

So Obama has a landslide in an electoral college sense, but not in the popular vote sense.

I think that there's so much polarisation and vested interest in the US Presidential election nowadays that it would be next to impossible to have a popular vote landslide win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I didn't got to sleep til 5, up at 8, was quite a horrible day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

So tired now..but it was well worth it...recieved some very strange looks when I went to college, like i was crazy or something for staying up to watch history in the making...but all you folks were here with me and it was so worth it!

crap, wish I'd made the 1,000th comment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Bed after 3am - only dozed - up at 7 am and just home now. Early start tomorrow - in the office for 7.30 so will have to get to bed now!

Perhaps its the lack of sleep but am still emotional at the result. Doesn't really matter how he performs (the better the better of course) its the symbolism and the whole new generation turned on to politics.

Advertisement