Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue to Digital Converter (Stand Alone)

• 04-11-2008 7:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

Can anyone recommend a good A to D converter, stand alone for a laptop, to convert VHS into digital for editing.

Seen one in the Argos catalogue, but just wanted to know if quality is an issue with these devices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

you might be better off getting a loan of a minidvd camcorder with an av input they do the same job.
    If you use a converter and run it straight into the computer it might not record timecode and there might be problems when you go to edit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

yup, and kinda painfull, but record from vhs to dv on the camcorder, and then load it up to laptop.

the camcorder, will probably need a/v switched on in the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

You don't need to transfer to DV first. Thats double the work!
    Just buy a USB to 3 phono adaptor and you can digitise your VHS straight into any Video Editing software.

I bought one from Maplins there a few weeks ago, for another use, but it came with Cyerlink Power Director so you have some pretty nice software to edit the VHS if you want.
    Here's the link to the one I bought. Was about €60 I think. They may have a cheaper model. I'd say you'd get similar in PC World too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spineryan

You can buy a piece of kit called a Directories Cut which will give you the ability to connect you VCR via SCAT to your PC or MAC via Fire Wire or USB. Your VCR then acts like a DEC.

The other nice thing about this unit is if you are using FCP or Pro Tools for dialog editing or picture editing you can sent the image to a TV screen for play back. NICE

Or you can buy a video 2 USB VCR converter from Maplin. This unit connect your vcr to your PC via USB. Here's the link. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224587&TabID=1&QV=Y

The only issue with something like this is you never know what the quality of your picture will be until you get it in to your software. And it could be slow over USB therefore you have more changes of dropping frames.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Canopus ADVC-100 is a good unit. Pro level, but not too expensive. Buy it, use it, sell it and you are done.

Best option would be to playback throught a DVHS deck and capture via firewire, this ensures minimal quality loss through conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 conorb56

Thanks for the feedback folks, I looked at all the links and I think that DVD maker from Maplins could be the one.

As I will be converting older camcorder vhs, I don't think the issue of dropped frames will be a big issue, as long as the finished quality is a complete dog's dineer.

I'm sure the Canopus one is an all singing and dancing, but I only have about 20 tapes to convert, so maybe not for me.

Had a rethink after reading a few more posts, especially as I use premiere, I think I will need a canopus, so the cheapest one I can find is CANOPUS ADVC-55 DV CONVERTER, is this a good one as I can see others recomending ADVC=100? (Twice the price!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

conorb56 wrote: »
    Had a rethink after reading a few more posts, especially as I use premiere, I think I will need a canopus, so the cheapest one I can find is CANOPUS ADVC-55 DV CONVERTER, is this a good one as I can see others recomending ADVC=100? (Twice the price!)

I have the ADVC-55 and it's excellent. I think that the only difference between it and the 100 is that the 55 only does A to D, otherwise the quality is the same.

A to D is all I want, can it be bought it Ireland or do I resort to amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

conorb56 wrote: »
    A to D is all I want, can it be bought it Ireland or do I resort to amazon?

I got mine abroad, so not sure if it's available in Ireland. I am sure it is, but wouldn't know where! It's £125 at Amazon UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement