Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're in your granny's

Options
  • 04-11-2008 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.grandparents04nov04,0,4253262.story

or

http://tinyurl.com/69qeln

From the Baltimore Sun:

Click here to find out more!

Text size: increase text sizedecrease text size
    Children cared for by grandparent are usually safer than in other settings, 1990s data indicate

By Stephanie Desmon and Kelly Brewington and
    November 4, 2008

With many grandparents baby-sitting their grandchildren during the day, researchers from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health wondered whether those children might be at a higher risk of injury in the care of older people whose parenting lessons were learned in an era where car seats weren't the law and child-proofing wasn't a multimillion-dollar industry.

The findings, published yesterday in the journal Pediatrics, surprised its authors. In some cases, working parents who chose to have grandparents care for their children cut the risk of childhood injury in half. Even when compared with organized day care or care by the mother or other relatives, having a grandmother watch the child was associated with decreased injury for the child.

<snip>

(It goes on to make the blindingly obvious point that people should use their own judgment!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

both my kids grandparents have other medical problems or just arent able to look after hyper people so i wouldnt use them anyhow.

Nice if you can get them to look after them though, cost of childcare is rediculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Yeah, kinda depends on the grandparents!!!

Their chances of being injured may, on average be less, but in my case, I don't think that's worth them getting lung cancer by the age of 10 through passive smoking!

Interesting result though, my intuition would have lead me to the opposite conclusion.

Advertisement