Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi in Ireland

• 04-11-2008 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does anyone feel there is a severe lack of quality sushi available in Ireland. Compared to other EU countries and the US why do people think this is so. I am a well travelled person and enjoy nothing better than fresh sushi but I am unable to find decent sushi in Ireland. Has anyone any suggestions regarding this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

The sushi in Yamamori is ok and AYA sushi is edible. If you are comparing it to US or Japan then you will be disapointed. Also it is expensive but still very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Why single out sushi? There's a severe lack of quality food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I live in kildare and the only sushi (if u can call it that) is from marks and spencers, and the fish isn't even raw :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Yo sushi in dundrum is great! I go there once or twice a week for my fix...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

foodaholic wrote: »
    I live in kildare and the only sushi (if u can call it that) is from marks and spencers, and the fish isn't even raw :confused:
    the raw fish stuff is called sashimi, not sushi

there's a gorgeous place out the back of Brown Thomas in Dublin but i forget the name of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

good sushi should be at room tempeture, however in ireland the health and safety brigade insure it served freezing cold.
    I have NEVER had good sushi in ireland.
    YO sushi is over priced and not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭millhousegirl

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    good sushi should be at room tempeture, however in ireland the health and safety brigade insure it served freezing cold.
    I have NEVER had good sushi in ireland.
    YO sushi is over priced and not that good.

Id have to agree with Mr Boots that sushi is way overpriced and not good at all in Ireland. Would people think there is a strong enough market for a good sushi restaurant/takeway in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Ya, good sushi is very hard to come across over here and it also very expensive compared to other countries. Used to love going to those sushi bars with the revolving belt with the different dishes in Asia. You can eat what ever you fancy and it wont cost the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

There is a yo sushi opened in the pavillions in swords... Havent tried it yet..

For the Northsiders...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Has anyone any suggestions regarding this issue.

Learn to make it yourself. There's a knack to the rice but other than that it is easy peasy japanesey.

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/sushirice.htm
    http://www.imakesushi.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Yo sushi is pretty rotten as sushi goes i think.
    Aya, only marginally better.
    Yamamori - could eat this till it comes out my ears, I really like it, but not exactly a player on the world-stage in terms of excellence.
    Theres a place out in Ranelagh that is really good - take out only, can't remember the name of it, its off some side street (left hand side as your heading out away from town), theres a sign on the wall on the entry to the side-street. This is the best i've had here, but thats not saying much i suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Beerlao wrote: »

there's a gorgeous place out the back of Brown Thomas in Dublin but i forget the name of it

that's AYA. i'd rate it over yo sushi but it's still just good, nothing amazing

Yo sushi is pretty rotten as sushi goes i think.
    Aya, only marginally better.
    Yamamori - could eat this till it comes out my ears, I really like it, but not exactly a player on the world-stage in terms of excellence.
    Theres a place out in Ranelagh that is really good - take out only, can't remember the name of it, its off some side street (left hand side as your heading out away from town), theres a sign on the wall on the entry to the side-street. This is the best i've had here, but thats not saying much i suppose...

as per above post, agree with what you're saying. i've passed that place in ranelagh loads of times. i'll definitely give it a go now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Best I had was in the place above kielys in donnybrook, way ahead of any others mentioned above IMO.

bambam wrote: »
    Best I had was in the place above kielys in donnybrook, way ahead of any others mentioned above IMO.

funnily enough, someone said that in an interview in this month's food and drink. it's called Yo Thai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy a book , a mat and a tube of wasabi and some good rice and vinegar and you are 90% there.
    I prefer to make my own, It is great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Mr.Boots wrote: »

Can you blame them though? In Korea people have to take a tablet once per year to flush out the worms in their intestines from raw fish (my ex is Korean and can confirm this.)

Basically raw fish is FULL of parasites. You should see the worms - they are horrendous things.

Freezing fish & cooking fish kills these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

was in yamamoori near O'Connell street the other day and thought the sushi was good there.
    Also place in Ranelagh does good take away... little bit pricey though
    http://www.michiesushi.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

miles teg wrote: »
    Also place in Ranelagh does good take away... little bit pricey though
    http://www.michiesushi.com/
    Thats the one I meant!!

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Can you blame them though? In Korea people have to take a tablet once per year to flush out the worms in their intestines from raw fish (my ex is Korean and can confirm this.)

Basically raw fish is FULL of parasites. You should see the worms - they are horrendous things.

Freezing fish & cooking fish kills these parasites.

Some fish have parasites not all, and you have to freeze the fish at -20ºc to kill Anisakis.
    Most domestic freezers won't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

sashimi is raw fish with no rice, sushi is raw fish with rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,456 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sushi is the vinegred rice.
    It doesn't have to have raw fish in it. Can be cooked fish, other meats or veggies too. Although, traditionalist might snub it.

Sushi can be raw fish or vegetables, or cooked egg omelette or any number of things on rice or stuffed into fried tofu.It doesn't have to have raw fish or rice.
    California rolls are cooked crab and avocado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sushi can be raw fish or vegetables, or cooked egg omelette or any number of things on rice or stuffed into fried tofu.It doesn't have to have raw fish or rice.
    California rolls are cooked crab and avocado.

Sushi is rice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

all this talk of sushi made me go and get some last night. went to michiesushi and got about 30 pieces. was delicious! (although still a bit too cold)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

There's simply no comparison between yamamori and aya, yamamori is far better than aya for how their dishes, the *quality* of the food they use and so on.

Aya is completely over-rated, I know that it could be seen as a 'nice' place because of the sushi-bar, the conveyor belt and so on but the quality of food is really bad.

Ahh Just finished a few pieces that I made last night.
    Fresh crab, avocado, cucumber and some Gari. Gave my colleague a couple of pieces and he's gone mad for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Wonderful, I made sushi twice and it was great, my fish monger was Kish Fish in both occasions.

Anyway, to integrate my post, I've found the yamamori menu pretty 'static', but it seems that after two years they introduced some new things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

all this talk of sushi made me go and get some last night. went to michiesushi and got about 30 pieces. was delicious! (although still a bit too cold)

Out of interest how much was that? Want to compare to the local place.

• Advertisement

Out of interest how much was that? Want to compare to the local place.

i had about 45 pieces (mixture of maki, nigiri sushi, and sashimi, and yaki soba) and it was 50 euros for the 2 of us. not cheap, but a nice treat from time to time. comes out cheaper than the restaurant though

Advertisement