Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft start the battle against the second hand market?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed the Gears of War 2 comes with a code that allows players to download the 'Flashback Map Pack', a five map package of reworked multi-player maps from the original. This code is, as you'd expect, a one-time use code and means that anyone who buys a pre-owned copy of the game will not be getting the same content as those who buy a new game.

With all the fuss about DRM and how EA in particular are trying to end to fight back against the second hand market, I can see something like this having much more impact.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

very bloody good idea

not great for people wanting to buy second hand games of course, but its a good idea nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They're not the first to have a similar code. From what I remember, the GOTY edition of GRAW had something similar.

Not much of a deterrent really. If something like that is important to you, you'll probably have bought the game new.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the difference with GRAW is that it was the GoTY edition and the maps were also available to buy online. These maps won't be, the only way you can get them is the buy the new game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This kind of thing is only going to concern those who play on xbox live. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest as I generally don't buy second hand games just for their multiplayer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'd like to see a ban on the sale of second hand games that are less than a year old or something. I hate the fact that Gamestop and other places sell pre-owned games for only a fiver less than brand new ones, thus getting loads of money that should be going to the developers etc. Scumbags!

• Advertisement

i dont think shops should be able to sell second hand games tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think shops should be able to sell second hand games tbh
    I'd like to see a ban on the sale of second hand games that are less than a year old or something. I hate the fact that Gamestop and other places sell pre-owned games for only a fiver less than brand new ones, thus getting loads of money that should be going to the developers etc. Scumbags!

Why shouldn't the shops sell games in whatever time frame they want at at whatever price they want? It's us that dictates what the shops sell, not necessarily the shops. It's also us that dictates what the shops can charge. If we don't buy, the shops don't stock or the shops reduce the price.
    I'm sick of hearing people moaning about rip off Ireland and about game shops ripping us off. If you don't like what the shops give you for a trade in, go somewhere else. If you don't like what the shops charge for a second hand or full price game, do the same.
    Yeah, these shops are managed by scumbags. Imagine it, a business that's out to make money instead of giving the product away. Scum.

i dont think shops should be allowed to sell them coz its free money for them, basically

all second hand items should be strictly kept to the private market for sales between consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

i dont think shops should be allowed to sell them coz its free money for them, basically

all second hand items should be strictly kept to the private market for sales between consumers

But what about people (like me!) who want a quick, convenient transaction where I bring the game to the shop and trade it in? I want to sell on my games and I'm happy to go between two or three retailers to get the best price I can. I'm not interested in putting an ad on Adverts or Ebay and putting the game in the post to someone, even though I know I could get more for it that way. To me, it's not worth the hassle and obviously I'm not alone in this because the shops are teeming with second hand games.
    The market is there and the shops are providing a service where they use floor space to stock second hand games. They are providing the staff to sell them. This costs them money and they mark up the games accordingly. They are obviously making good money from it because in most shops the second hand section dominates the store but again, that's because we are paying the prices they are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Like cars? Personally I like the idea if I'm buying something 2nd hand I'm getting it from somewhere that's covered by the Sale of Goods Act.. I'll take that over enriching a 'fellow consumer' any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Imagine it, a business that's out to make money instead of giving the product away. Scum.

Yeah, cos that's totally what i meant. :rolleyes:

It's annoying, i was in Gamestop and could see the staff notice board, telling them to push second hand sales over new items. So when people come in looking for a game they'd say "it's only available 2nd hand" even though that's bullcrap. I've seen it happen with my own eyes, that behaviour is unacceptable in my view. It affects game sales figures and to a degree, peoples livelihoods (i'm not saying it does in a drastic way, but it's there nonetheless)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yeah, cos that's totally what i meant. :rolleyes:

It's annoying, i was in Gamestop and could see the staff notice board, telling them to push second hand sales over new items. So when people come in looking for a game they'd say "it's only available 2nd hand" even though that's bullcrap. I've seen it happen with my own eyes, that behaviour is unacceptable in my view. It affects game sales figures and to a degree, peoples livelihoods (i'm not saying it does in a drastic way, but it's there nonetheless)

I have to agree. I read something recently about certain BIG retail outlets only stocking 2nd hand games.

Advertisement