Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Maynooth Tesco Extra store

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Varkov wrote: »
    They dont have [..] wagon wheels.

That's the deal-breaker right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I find the place good if you're doing a big shopping but really annoying if you only want a few things, because you'll walk miles looking for the essentials!

Since they changed stores, the Tesco homemade shortbread chocolate chip cookies have disappeared off the bakery shelves. They have double chocolate chip cookies in the same line, where the shortbread itself is chocolaty, but they are not as nice.

As someone else has mentioned, there is no straightforward pedestrian access. There is no accommodation for cyclists either. Their aim is to encourage customers who have cars to fill with shopping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Went once, never again. It's far too big.

Sure they are a big purchaser and can discount items and can have specials, but there is often better value elsewhere.

Besides, do they really need to stock 7,000 tins of one type of beans on the shelves (and the same goes for many other items)? Seriously, the store is unnecessarily big and takes ages to get around [which is EXACTLY what they want].

….oh, and the staff are moany and look depressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like big supermarkets like this. The only problem i have, and this goes for all size and brand supermarkets in this country is the choice.
    Lets take what JDxtra said about 7000 tins of the same type of beans. Its a pain in the arse. I want variety, i want tins of beans that are not baked beans. I want black beans, pino beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans. (yes i cook a lot of mexican food) Not 7000 tins of baked beans and a couple of tins of expensive epicure beans. I buy the Epicure because that is all they have but it be nice to have more choice.

The new store is almost the size of a Meijer or Super Walmart in the US but manages to have much less choice from what i can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Shopping is a royal pain in the butt and food shopping is the biggest, royalist pain in the butt of the butt. Why do some people get sooooooooooooo excited about walking round a glorified warehouse for hours looking for a tin of beans that will match the colour of the paint they've just bought to go with their cheap Tesco dungarees?

Give me Lidl anyday where you can get in, buy your weekly shopping and get out in under 20 minutes, oh and the small fact that you'll save a fortune over what you'll pay in feckin Tescos is the clincher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i hate it, the selection as said is rubbish.anytime i go they either have run out of what i want or in some cases simply dont stock the product.superquinn in lucan all the way.has everything i need, staff are helpful and the aul ones at the tills are always chatty and friendly,beats a hungover student who hardly looks at ya in tesco.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

df1985 wrote: »
    superquinn in lucan all the way.has everything i need, staff are helpful and the aul ones at the tills are always chatty and friendly,beats a hungover student who hardly looks at ya in tesco.

I would have to completely DISAGREE with you! Superquinn lucan is a mess. I actually USED to shop there, and I had a problem so I complained to the store twice and head office once and they ignorant pigs didn't even bother to acknowledge my complaints with a 'we received your letters and will look into it further' :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Superquinn Lucan USED to be a nice store.

Then they re-arranged it , the aisles are now too narrow , there are not enough check outs and the fresh fruit/veg are now terrible

I don't bother any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Am I the only one who literally squeals with pain at the poxy static electricity in Superquinn , Lucan and Dunnes ,Maynooth ....?Whatever fake plasticky wood they use in the floor is the common link ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Was in Tesco Maynooth the other day, and already it's starting to go downhill,
    Limited checkouts open, broken self service checkouts, and baskets strewn around the checkouts with only a few at the entrance.
    It looks like the new store focus has been lost already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Popped into this place on Monday night and was well impressed. Everything seems to be under one roof. Ill definitley be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Was in Tesco Maynooth the other day, and already it's starting to go downhill,
    Limited checkouts open, broken self service checkouts, and baskets strewn around the checkouts with only a few at the entrance.
    It looks like the new store focus has been lost already

To be fair your post was just before Christmas I think any store would be like that.

Having now been 3/4 times to the new store my impressions are as follows:-

Food/grocery Disappointing .... just acres of the same stuff, so if they now have 10 ft of shelf space with the same item instead of 2-3 ft , very little extra choice compared to the old store/Celbridge( My local store ).

Fresh fruit/veg the usual tesco rubbish, often empty spaces , often poor quailty, or stuff that just looks horrible ( why do large supermarkets allow moldy carrots to remain on sale , do they truly expect people to buy them ? )

The Cafe, OMG , the worst I have ever been to, we went there for lunch recently , no choice ( as in you asked for a toasted cheese sandwich with onion/tomato, sorry we have no onion or tomato ), service was cr*p , the staff couldn't speak English which isn't their fault but they shouldn't be put in public facing positions. Our sandwich turned up un-toasted ( sent back )
    Took me 15 mins to get a simple sandwich/tea for 2 and I was the only person being served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gullsballs

I don't like the building/development. I think its to big for a town with the character of Maynooth. It makes too big an impact coming into the town. It subtracts from the charm of the place.
    As for the store itself, they have extra stuff under one roof but the food is the same as before. They just have more of the same stuff so now there is no danger of not getting your hands on some fresh USA strawberries, nice herbs from Isreal or some mediterranean spuds. Shpuds for feck sake.
    Barrats Maynooth is a grand hardware store. We don't need Atlantic. There loads up the road in Lucan.
    I've read some threads on Maynooth losing its charm but this is what happens when everything becomes generic. Small independent stores are so much better to deal with. Ask the guy in the fruit and veg store across the car park where he gets his produce. You may not always like the answer but he will know where its from. Try asking someone in tesco the same question. Ask someone in Barrats for some advice or if they stock something in particular. Try the same question in one of the big hardware stores. -not sure, don't think we have that (what was that? doesn't have a clue.)- aaaaaaahhhhhh.
    I hope Micky Ds arrival is just a rumour. Don't like it and don't like this eyesore on the edge of Maynooth.....handy though isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

hi gullsballs, couldn't agree more with you about these big developments damaging the character of towns like maynooth. Whether its commerical or residential developments, they are just out of context with small towns and villages.
    You might have heard about Celbridge and the proposed Donaghcumper development. more modern, bland, concrete painted apartment blocks and commerical units that will be left empty, i mean how many shops do people need when they live a stones throw and a bus ride from liffey valley! If i'm not mistaken there is already a retail development approved for collinstown.

i would urge anyone like you who feels that developers are ruining the character of small towns, to submit objections to the planning authority. there are posts about the donacomper one with some advice etc. we shouldnt sit back and just let them make money out of our hometown. the developers will up and leave once their wallet is full - leaving us to deal with the aftermath!

Advertisement